IBR 2019 Reports and Videos

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Would like to thank everyone involved in keeping us updated on what's happening on the Rally.

John Harrison on his reports so far and Ira with the Video podcasts ...

While I was unable to apply and attend this years rally .. the views and reports will help me keep track in near real time ..

Do you have the SpotWalla URL to watch the action ????

Garry in AZ

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've been watching Spotwalla and checking out some of the awesome roads this years riders will ride... Fantastic rally! Makes me wish I wouldn't have skipped applying this year... I'm watching a rider on the Beartooth Highway right now... awesome road.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
So in the Day 3- Attrition, report, there were some MP3 files attached but I cannot seem to get them to play. I am reading the reports in Chrome and when that didn't work, I downloaded it into Acrobat and still nothing. Any ideas?

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've been watching Spotwalla and checking out some of the awesome roads this years riders will ride... Fantastic rally! Makes me wish I wouldn't have skipped applying this year... I'm watching a rider on the Beartooth Highway right now... awesome road.
At least I have an excuse Garry - right wrist surgery...:D

I have been watching the last rider that left Homer AK. He/she is on the move but I’m wondering if there is enough time to make it to SC.

Dicky Knee

I have been watching the last rider that left Homer AK. He/she is on the move but I’m wondering if there is enough time to make it to SC.
Possible, with significant moving average once out of Canada, but, it's going to be a tough ride. They/he/she will have given it their all.

Fascinating.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
But also remember - there is a minimum points requirement to be a finisher. So because they would be cutting it close, they won't have much time for bonus collecting on the way back. It would be tough to make it back in time but DNF due to lack of points.

Decisions, decisions.

Ira

But also remember - there is a minimum points requirement to be a finisher. So because they would be cutting it close, they won't have much time for bonus collecting on the way back. It would be tough to make it back in time but DNF due to lack of points.

Decisions, decisions.

Ira
OK so I'm new at this, but, is it just a wild assumption to believe that it would be of such point value to go that deep into Alaska for those bonuses that it would be worth it to drop other bonuses on the track back?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
OK so I'm new at this, but, is it just a wild assumption to believe that it would be of such point value to go that deep into Alaska for those bonuses that it would be worth it to drop other bonuses on the track back?
We mere mortals don't (yet) know what that point value might have been.

That, along with a dozen or more other data points means we all have nothing but incomplete data on why the rider made the choice they did.

We *could* play that WAG (wild ass guess...), but until the rally is scored and the results are announced...nothing but speculation from all of us monitoring the rally from the comfort of (work | home | wherever...).

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It's possible. It's also possible that collecting more bonsues of a lower value might be just as good with less chance of being time-barred.

Back in the day, when riding a brute-force rally was the way to win, it would be much more likely for the slam dunk winning route to take one to the ends of the earth (or at least the end of the road). And this year's rally has some elements of that bygone time. But knowing Jeff Earls, it isn't that simple. Modern IBRs are more thinking and less raw throttle. So it's more likely that there simply isn't a single winning strategy or route. Ya pays yur money and ya takes yur chances.

As I said, decisions, decisions.

Ira

It's possible. It's also possible that collecting more bonsues of a lower value might be just as good with less chance of being time-barred.

Back in the day, when riding a brute-force rally was the way to win, it would be much more likely for the slam dunk winning route to take one to the ends of the earth (or at least the end of the road). And this year's rally has some elements of that bygone time. But knowing Jeff Earls, it isn't that simple. Modern IBRs are more thinking and less raw throttle. So it's more likely that there simply isn't a single winning strategy or route. Ya pays yur money and ya takes yur chances.

As I said, decisions, decisions.

Ira
We mere mortals don't (yet) know what that point value might have been.

That, along with a dozen or more other data points means we all have nothing but incomplete data on why the rider made the choice they did.

We *could* play that WAG (wild ass guess...), but until the rally is scored and the results are announced...nothing but speculation from all of us monitoring the rally from the comfort of (work | home | wherever...).
This is an amazing game to me and I hope to be able to play someday. Thank you both for your insight.