IBA/MTF EggSanity SS1000 GOLD, Sep 21, 2019

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Hi all,
I just can't get enough eggs! So I am again putting together one of the IBA's most unique Rides an EggSanity SS1000 GOLD. For reference http://www.ironbutt.com/eggsanity/
The MTF is again sponsoring this ride and it is your opportunity to 1) eat your fill of eggs; 2) earn a GOLD level IBA award ride level; and 3) take advantage of the "Memphis loop" which has all 4 'egg' chain restaurants required for the GOLD level ride. AND participate in a pre-ride dinner at GUS's World Famous Fried Chicken, yum yum! This ride celebrates the long-distance rider’s favorite short order grills in classic Waffle House® style and requires you to enjoy an egg dish at each stop.
The ride will begin and end in Memphis and is going to be on Saturday September 21, 2019. Pre-ride dinner on Friday September 20, 2019.

http://www.mctourer.com/rides/2019/LD_EggSanityGold

Ride Safe, Think Fast!

Robert

Attachments

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
My schedule...

21st: This ride (maybe)
23rd: Fall Equinox
25th: Leave for the Big As Texas Rally

I was all set to sign up but then read that they don't allow fuel cans to be carried.

So...no dice. I'll do it on my own.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Which ride do you need an aux tank for? I've ridden all three without an aux tank! Regardless, I hope you can make this GOLD ride, I'll see you in TX for sure.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

PS where are you located in TN?

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Which ride do you need an aux tank for? I've ridden all three without an aux tank! Regardless, I hope you can make this GOLD ride, I'll see you in TX for sure.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

PS where are you located in TN?
Well it's not an auxiliary tank, it's a 1-gallon Rotopax can that I carry "just in case". I've had to use it a couple of times in the past, though not often. I like to think of it as insurance; just like my tire repair kit I always bring but never use.

I actually live like 7 miles from the mandatory stop in Murfreesboro.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
With the range of an RT, and the urban ride route with easy access to gas, there's not much to worry about.

I leave Monday for two rides which do require proper gas stop planning especially in the deserted desert areas, Heaven to Hell and Why to Whynot. I used to have an aux tank, but then I started trying to stretch it too, and determined if I had 6 gallon or a 11 gallons, I could and did run out of gas. Mentally the aux tank just became the same as my regular tank.

Ride Safe,
Robert

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Well it's not an auxiliary tank, it's a 1-gallon Rotopax can that I carry "just in case". I've had to use it a couple of times in the past, though not often. I like to think of it as insurance; just like my tire repair kit I always bring but never use.

I actually live like 7 miles from the mandatory stop in Murfreesboro.
Come on and do the ride starting in Memphis, and meet and greet everyone at the pre-ride dinner! Remember, the MTF handles the paperwork! And I have flags for sale if you register thru the MTF web site.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
...edited for time...
I actually ran out of gas right around Canton, MS, just a mile or two from a scheduled stop. I've posted before on how my RT sucks for mileage during colder weather and on this particular ride, it ran out at 189 miles! All of the other tanks got me over 200 easily, which is what my stops were planned for.

I'm designing my tank and I am trying to balance the whole range + reserve thing. I figure in colder weather, no more than 300 miles between stops and in warmer temps, about 330 miles. For whatever reason, I have to go potty a lot more frequently in the cold weather, so I'll be stopping a lot anyhow. :)

I have actually done the preliminary planning for a H2H and W2WN? combined ride. Going to be doing these two in conjunction with three others and will probably do next year, finances allowing.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
What did your range counter indicate? When did your warning light come on?
I have only run out of gas unknowingly passing up the ‘only’ gas station for miles.
Although at speed and against the wind my RT also needs gas at about 180 miles, one time at 170 but all the warnings were telling me to stop and I did.

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
I don't really pay much attention to that because it reads "0" and when I fill-up, I discover that I still have a gallon remaining. What I do is take note of weather conditions and compare to past rides in similar conditions to base my range on. Usually works just fine. Cold weather sucks; hot weather I can get 250 miles at 85mph but usually stop at about 220-230.

I plan all of my stops beforehand; last thing I want to do is to stop in a ghetto at 2am (like I did in N.O. once...ONCE) or where the station isn't even open (which can cause issues if the receipt doesn't print- I don't want to have to hunt for a place to get one). The gas I bring along is simply for backup and I've used it only a few times.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Thanks, everyone for helping get the word out about this Ride. I Have a full group ie I'm out of flags, whoop whoop!
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert