Hot Sauce & Riding

Ron

As I was trying extremely hot house sauce (the kind you barely dip a toothpick and it burns your mouth for 10 minutes).. someone made a comment that hot sauce could be used as a way to stay up.
That got my mind wondering, has anyone used hot sauce as a way to keep awake during long rides?

Ron

I apologize for the confusion. “Stay up” is referred to as getting thru that wall. For me, that’s the point where my eyes feel heavy for a bit. Similar to how some people use lemon drops to stay up

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Sour candy (think Warheads or equivalent) is a LOT easier than hot sauce. :cool:

These are little ones that are in a convenient pocket-sized container - perfect for an on-the-go jolt.

If you're needed more than a couple of these, it might really be your body telling you 'do something else' - like rest!

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I do love hot sauces .... but I fear that might make for some unscheduled bio stops on a long ride :eek:
I was also thinking that using hot sauce might be a little short-sighted. What might seem like a good idea in the moment might come back to burn you later...

Ron

Hmm. I’ll give the warheads a second try sometime. For the hot sauce, I’m thinking it would be just a toothpick. I wouldn’t be dumping some on a meal or anything. Just a small toothpick to wake up the senses

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I get it, just don't see how to safely accomplish that specific task while moving, that's all.
About 25 years ago I thought I woud be a wiseguy and tried to grab a pinch of Copenhagen while riding through Nevada on my GL1000 at 70 mph.

I did not realize how dirty was the air behind that Pichler fairing until both eyes were slammed shut in searing pain.

:eek:

Don't know if it would work, but i remember as a kid making cinnamon toothpicks (soaking toothpicks in cinnamon oil overnight, then letting them dry out), You maybe able to do the same with the hot sauce, then while riding, just pop a toothpick in your mouth when needed, without pulling over.

Ron

I would think some of those packets from Arby's or Taco Bell can be easily opened and consumed while on the move without much issue.
I've already gotten a sauce picked out that'll knock your socks off. Try At Your Own Risk

Don't know if it would work, but i remember as a kid making cinnamon toothpicks (soaking toothpicks in cinnamon oil overnight, then letting them dry out), You maybe able to do the same with the hot sauce, then while riding, just pop a toothpick in your mouth when needed, without pulling over.
Maybe. I'd be fearful of getting sauce everywhere, but maybe with enough practice...

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>I thought I woud be a wiseguy and tried to grab a pinch of Copenhagen while riding<...>

Dippin' snuff and motorcycle riding...yup. Way back in my yute...no faring, though.

Anyway, clever idea (soaking toothpick...), but I've done okay with what I mentioned above.

Of course, I was pissed when I dropped my last package of Warheads (see above...) a couple of days' before the end of my 48 State ride. I wasn't about to venture off-course to find a replacement package.