What constitutes a hopeless class entry?

I'm considering prepping my 92 TDM850 for rally duty. Is a 28 yr old bike hopeless? Does it qualify as weird since I don't believe one has ever ran in the IBR? Does it qualify somehow since it's the ancestor of the Super Tenere? Just curious what the wisdom of the group and the powers that be think of this bike as a special entrant.
Doug

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Just to stir the pot a little, although the Hopeless Class in this context refers to a humorous description of motorcycle choice, just remember the long-quoted saying that it is the rider, not the bike.

I have seen excellent riders finish on mounts that no one thought would make it. Keith Keating on a stock Suzuki GN125. Ed Otto on a Honda Helix motor scooter. Paul Pelland on a Ural.

On the other hand, I've seen quite a number of riders DNFing on Gold Wings, BMWs, and FJRs who got to the starting line without knowing how to use their GPS, barely able to read a map, not having a clue how to approach bonus selection, and/or know nothing about time or sleep management.

So, at least to me, if the bike can mechanically make it to the finish it is not hopeless. I think there have been a lot more Hopeless riders than Hopeless motorcycles. :)

Ira

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well the Ural was pretty much hopeless, afterall it was on it's third engine at the finish and that engine had drill bits in place of several push rods. I think Paul charmed it into finishing :)

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Well the Ural was pretty much hopeless, afterall it was on it's third engine at the finish and that engine had drill bits in place of several push rods. I think Paul charmed it into finishing :)
Much like Harleys with x00,000 miles on them, as long as you are still dragging around the OEM piece with the original VIN attached, it is still the "same" bike. Regardless how many times everything else on the bike has been swapped out...

:p

QUOTE="Ira, post: 49752, member: 2"]As they say, it's the rider, not the bike. :)[/QUOTE]

With the above quote in mind, I was thinking of entering my name. No bike, just me. No rallies, no IBA, no IBR. I am the definition of a hopeless class.