100X miles to tight for a SS1K?

Rony6ble

Premier Member
I have 1,006 miles on Google My Maps and 1,005 miles with Basecamp. Have not review with Bing.
Basecamp throws 25+ hours. I have some slow roads and multiple stops: 25 counting start and finish to define the route; 10 min for gas, 25 for one lunch stop, 5 min for some photo stops.
Cheers

I have 1,006 miles on Google My Maps and 1,005 miles with Basecamp. Have not review with Bing.
Basecamp throws 25+ hours. I have some slow roads and multiple stops: 25 counting start and finish to define the route; 10 min for gas, 25 for one lunch stop, 5 min for some photo stops.
Cheers
Basecamp calculates travel time by assuming that the travel is done at the existing speed limits.

If one rides at 5 mph over the speed limit for 20 hours, they will be 100 miles further along.

I personally always eat and drink while moving and never stop to eat.

Good luck doing what appears to be a very complicated SS.

gramps

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Too close to be 998 or 999 miles as opposed to 1005 or 1006 miles for me to execute what seems to be a highly complex route...

...and I thought my in-state route planning was overly complex for a 1500 mile route - I think that one only has eleven intermediate points.

grandpawinger said:
Agreed! Seeing the route for this ride would be interesting...

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
You're cutting it way too close. A good rule of thumb is to plan a route that is at least 2-3% over the minimum calculated mileage.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Yes, it will be a complicated one to do, but this is part of the fun. Very limited highway speed roads here but I could do 5 over in some areas. I think that Basecamp is a little conservative also.

Too close to be 998 or 999 miles as opposed to 1005 or 1006 miles for me to execute what seems to be a highly complex route...
Agreed! Seeing the route for this ride would be interesting...
You're cutting it way too close. A good rule of thumb is to plan a route that is at least 2-3% over the minimum calculated mileage.
Ira, Ken, one of the goals is to try to get a 1,000 mile or as close to 1,000 miles. I finish my ride on I-10, turn around and get final receipt close home. Maybe a second receipt 2 or 3 miles further away just in case? What does IBA use to verify mileage? I also need to verify some additional points if there is a place to get a receipt, I don't think that photo will do when I have to backtrack some of the small roads.

This is the link of what I have so far (it is not finished):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17hKWKNNNmaxCmhbHvyEP0PLow7g&usp=sharing

Explanation:
Phoenix - Bagdad - Hillside - Prescott - Clarkdale - Cottonwood to start AZ260
AZ260 will be done not at ones:
In Payson head south on AZ188 - Tonto National Monument - Globe and back to Payson - AZ260 east to Show Low
From Show Low take AZ473 south and backtrack north to AZ260, head east to take AZ373 south. Lunch stop. Backtrack north to AZ260, head east to junction with US191
Backtrack from US191 to Eagar, gas, head west on AZ260 and take AZ261 to Big Lake, backtrack north and take AZ273 NW to Pinetop, AZ for gas.
AZ260 east and take AZ73 to Whiteriver, keep "south" AZ73 to junction with US60/AZ77, head south to Globe.
Head west on US60 and visit the Mesa Temple, east on I10 to Eloy, west on I-10 x160.

Time restrictions are: Daylight for eastern AZ. Tuzigot NM opens at 8 am. This will get me around 9 pm to Whiteriver, AZ.
Mybe I should brake this ride in two after all.

Your thoughts?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira, Ken, one of the goals is to try to get a 1,000 mile or as close to 1,000 miles.

Your thoughts?
If you want to be sure you complete the minimum mileage, this should not be one of your goals.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Garry in AZ

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Rony,
Your route has a lot of backtracking which can make it difficult to verify. IMO, there are way too many receipts needed for route verification, which can go bad in a hurry if a critical stop does not have a printed receipt. It's also very close to not being 1000 miles... If you attempt this ride I would strongly suggest you use a satellite tracking device as part of your verification.
If you want to ride this route for reasons other than getting a Saddlesore, I would suggest you go and ride it and have fun. If it turns into a two day ride, so much the better!
On the other hand, if you are simply trying to do an in-state AZ SS1K, then there are much better routes you could take.

Best of luck to you,
Garry

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Ira and Garry both are showing the wisdom of the wise men; part of my comment from earlier today is an overly complex route has an inherent amount of error. This error may or may not be completely accurate when it comes to review of a route in any mapping program.

rony6ble said:
What does IBA use to verify mileage?
It's in the instructions (Google Maps), unless you provide GPS data, which only validates you rode what you said you rode.

Here's the issue I see it. Each point on a route (any, not just the one in this example...) just adds to the potential for not getting the mileage you expected for any given leg of the route. The more points, the more potential for error - in either direction. Yet, you just don't know it until you ride it, write down the mileage, then add it up.

Next issue I see. Go and be the volunteer that gets to take your route and verify that you actually rode it. See the problem? One of the reasons IBA won't certify 'back-and-forth' routes. This one is beginning to have some of that 'anxiety' in the planning, which I'm sure makes the validation process that much more of a challenge.

There's obviously some good reason it's being planned this way...I'm just not sure all of us are seeing it the same way you are.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira and Garry both are showing the wisdom of the wise men; part of my comment from earlier today is an overly complex route has an inherent amount of error. This error may or may not be completely accurate when it comes to review of a route in any mapping program.

It's in the instructions (Google Maps),. . . . . .
That's not entirely correct.

Although Google Maps and other similar routing programs are excellent planning tools, we use a wide variety of other tools for verifying routes as well. That's why we recommend one plan a route that is somewhat longer than the calculated minimum mileage.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Rony, you have picked some beautiful roads to ride. But, i agree with everyone else, if your goal is to get a SS1000, IMO you are cutting it way too close with the projected mileage. Myself and another rider just came through the eastern part of your route and if you are going through that area in the evening-early hours you will have major elk issues to contend with-possibly slowing you down well below the speed limit. It is a beautiful ride though. Good luck.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm not a verifier but from a quick look unless you mark the I=10/AZ-101 intersection 1/2 mile into your route I Can see you losing 3.7 miles at least in the first 16 miles of your ride because going north on N51St to US-60 and then NW on 60 to the AZ-101/US-60 intersection is at least that much shorter.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
All, thanks for the time spend writing and giving good advise. All points noted.
I have split the goals .
Ken, the ride will only contain some of the AZ State Routes. I'm not including points difficult to proof I was there.
Ira, ride is now 1,022 miles. (I still will come up with a different ride of 1,001 miles, will see how that goes).
Steve, yes, that is elk country, not the best place to speed up.
Russ, I may do the L101 at the start of the ride and will have to include the needed stops (usually gas stations with a 24hr store, no gas).

A 'simpler' version is as follows:
https://goo.gl/maps/kf1E4UXPi3C2

This is a link to a 2015 ride in Southern Arizona with about 25 stops, 4 National Parks, several AZ State Routes and 22:25 hrs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aYk-1bDXoqhsF1VbCh80JqAdEKg&usp=sharing

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
All, thanks for the time spend writing and giving good advise. All points noted.
I have split the goals .
Ken, the ride will only contain some of the AZ State Routes. I'm not including points difficult to proof I was there.
Ira, ride is now 1,022 miles. (I still will come up with a different ride of 1,001 miles, will see how that goes).
Steve, yes, that is elk country, not the best place to speed up.
Russ, I may do the L101 at the start of the ride and will have to include the needed stops (usually gas stations with a 24hr store, no gas).

A 'simpler' version is as follows:
https://goo.gl/maps/kf1E4UXPi3C2

This is a link to a 2015 ride in Southern Arizona with about 25 stops, 4 National Parks, several AZ State Routes and 22:25 hrs
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aYk-1bDXoqhsF1VbCh80JqAdEKg&usp=sharing
Twenty-five stops on a Saddlesore 1000 may be some kind of record.

In the 22:25 hr estimate, how much time is allotted to the stops? If each is ten minutes, that's 250 minutes, or more than four hours, of stopped time.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Six minutes per stop times 23 is 2:18 (start and end times not counted...).

Subtract that 2:18 from a 22:25 ride and that's 20:07. That's a big ride; not an impossible ride, just a big ride.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Twenty-five stops on a Saddlesore 1000 may be some kind of record.

In the 22:25 hr estimate, how much time is allotted to the stops? If each is ten minutes, that's 250 minutes, or more than four hours, of stopped time.
1,030 miles, 26 stops + Start & Finish = 28 total, 22:25 was the actual time, 3 National Parks (2 with the stamp and a pin for the collection, 1 was closed 1 hour before web schedule so only photos of Visitor Center and Welcome Sign). Included was a ridiculously terrible bad and slow (over 40 minutes) burger at Todd's Restaurant by the Ryan Field.

22:25 - 00:40 = 21:45 - (26 * 6' = 02:36) = 19:09; 1030 / 19:09 = 53.8 mph moving speed. Mostly 2 lane roads, I-17 and a big chunk of I-10.
26 = 28 - Start - Lunch
Not bad considering this was my second SS1K

The new route is ready (same link): 1,044 miles, "only" 20 stops to mark the route. 6 State Routes: L101, AZ188, AZ73, AZ373, AZ260, AZ179.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17hKWKNNNmaxCmhbHvyEP0PLow7g&usp=sharing

Someone want to come along? Steve, Ken, Garry? Probably 05/10/16 04:00

Thanks for the comments and good advice...

Steve Bell

Premier Member
Alex, thanks for the invite. Like Garry, it is hard for me to get away from work during the week to do a long ride. I usually need a fair amount of planning with work to do a mid week ride. So I will respectfully pass on this one. But would enjoy a doing a SS some other time. I texted Doug ( Who I'm doing the B2B with next month) to see if he is interested. He is always looking for a challenge. Thanks for the invite. Hopefully next time!

biquer

Premier Member
If your aim is to be certified at 1000 miles, finish your best estimated 1000 mile ride in a city with plenty of receipt options, obtain your 1000 mile receipt and end witness. Go 1 mile further and repeat. Repeat again multiple times until you get bored or run out of time. Send in your 1st set for verification. If its refused, you will be told the mileage. Using this as your guide, send in the appropriate set to get your 1000 mile verification. If I was to plan this I would use the minimum number of stops to get to my estimated 1000 miles to allow for the messing about at the end.