Lap Around Arizona

Is anyone interested in a "Lap Around Arizona" ride? Suggested routing? Is this in the works already? I did some preliminary routing and it is easy to get >1500 miles without re-riding sections and AVOIDING Phoenix itself with out leaving the State.

VIEW IN GOOGLE MAPS

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think if you look at the "Lap of ..." rides and study each one of them, the premise is to have your route 'draw' an approximate outline of the area you're riding around.

Because of that huge trench in the northern part of the state - and the thousands of miles of Nat'l Forest, it does make it...challenging...to draw the state outline, as your example map shows.

Would it be considered a "Lap Around AZ?" I dunno...

I think if you look at the "Lap of ..." rides and study each one of them, the premise is to have your route 'draw' an approximate outline of the area you're riding around.

Because of that huge trench in the northern part of the state - and the thousands of miles of Nat'l Forest, it does make it...challenging...to draw the state outline, as your example map shows.

Would it be considered a "Lap Around AZ?" I dunno...
Yep, I understand that. Also must stay 'in the state' for the entire ride. In my 'google map' I tried to add extending up to Colorado City on the North side but google limited me on the number of waypoints. I am sure someone could figure a routing for a complete instate 2K mile little jaunt.

My rational to avoid Phoenix was due to the areas always bad and congested freeways not being good for maintaining an acceptable average speed---- Yep, I also note a lot of 2 lane highways on my prospective routing also.

Lap of Arizona (minus the Arizona strip as there is NO way I can see to get this part of Arizona without leaving Arizona.

At Boulder Dam area one in the past could get access to a parking/viewing area in Arizona without going into Nevada. I know the rules for "Lap of" rides specify one can only leave the state for 'safety' but if this is a mandatory photo stop I wonder if the powers that be would allow "this" specific excursion. If the mapping tool is accurate this route would be >2400 miles----

https://maps.harley-davidson.com/share/rides/XNHgYSimd

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I see two challenges right now...not necessarily insurmountable, but it may increase the difficulty as you've described it:

- One would think that crossing a border to get to a location is a non-starter. Again, just thinking about the premise of the ride. Case in point, this was discussed elsewhere on this forum. One segment of the NY in-state ride has a portion of Interstate highway that bows into and exits Pennsylvania for a short distance. Yet, there is a alternate route that keeps you in NY state. I suspect that is specifically checked by the verification team to prove you've stayed in NY state. So, you could go to that convenience store on the highway near Willow Beach (if we're keeping most of that segment of US-93 in the ride) in lieu of crossing the border.

- There is no fuel stop that I can see via Google Maps in Colorado City. It's just across the border in Utah. There *may* be fuel in Fredonia instead.

2400 mile ride...50 hours? Your map plots 44 hours of riding time. That's probably reasonably accurate. Factor in some sort of a RON period, and 50 hours might be close.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Colorado City is a Mormon polygamy sect area and outsiders are not welcome. There is gas in Fredonia. FWIW, there wasn't gas in Beaver Dam a couple of years ago, but might be now, and there is a Tavern/store where you can get a DBR. Trying to fit the AZ Strip between Mesquite and St George in this ride would be very challenging to maintain an "In State" ride. (I used to live in Ivins, UT)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Trying to fit the AZ Strip between Mesquite and St George in this ride would be very challenging to maintain an "In State" ride. (I used to live in Ivins, UT)
Agreed. Apparently, there are unpaved roads that could take you from Beaver Dam east toward AZ-389. Fifty miles worth, easily. Don't know if you'd taken that kind of an off-road journey back when you lived out there.

Put it in the "can't get there from here - easily!" category.

Playing around for 20 minutes with what @PilotJO started with, I came up with this slightly-more-than-2000-mile jaunt around most of Arizona. Probably the closest thing to a lap around the state that there will be for some time to come.

https://tinyurl.com/ycu679pb

Certain places used were to ensure Google wouldn't try and take the easy way to a subsequent location.

Fort Mohave, AZ
near Willow Beach, AZ
Flagstaff, AZ
Fredonia, AZ
Marble Canyon, AZ (map shaping)
Teec Nos Pos, AZ
Ganado, AZ (map shaping)
Alpine, AZ
Hannagan Meadow, AZ (map shaping)
Duncan, AZ
Willcox, AZ
Douglas, AZ
Sonoita, AZ
Nogales, AZ
QuikTrip, 3345 W Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ 85746 (map shaping - this location keeps you to a minimum of traffic congestion in the southern end of Tucson)
Ajo, AZ
San Luis, AZ
Parker, AZ
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Fort Mohave, AZ

Google claims 34 hours, around 2006 miles. Various routing tweaks might lower that mileage.

EDIT:Even with some shaping, still didn't come out right, as the routing does go onto I-40 near Needles, California. Ugh.

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
FWIW, there is a nice Chevron station at Pipe Springs on Z-389 that I've been to too many times to count. Food, gas, and Pipe Springs monument is worth seeing if you're not on the clock. Pipe Springs is the last AZ gas before hitting the Border Store in UT.

While it is possible to get from 389 to X-27, Black Rock Road on I-15 via dirt roads, many are 4x4 trails and it would be slow, even on a dual sport. Not recommended on a big trailie.

Temple Bar Marina also has gas, though I can't recall if it's seasonal. It's a nice paved road in as well. Ok lunch stop, usually has ice cream in the warmer months. I've made that a ride destination a few times. That would take you farther up 93, then off 93 to the NorthEast. I suppose it would technically be the closest DBR to the border in that 'corner'.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just making sure I am understanding your intent; are you working towards riding a "Lap Of Arizona" as kwthom mentioned, or a "Ride Around Arizona" because these two rides have completely different requirements as I understand it. And further, as I understand it, the "lap of" or "ride around" ride must already be an approved ride listed within the in-state series rides to earn a "lap of" or "ride around" certification unless you are the first rider with an already approved route ... certifying the ride route. A "lap of" ride could only require four waypoints - one at each corner of the state. However a "ride around" ride generally requires multiple waypoints requiring the ride to follow the geographic boundaries of the state. As I understand it, the two different categories of rides were established because some states have roads which follow the geographic boundary of the state and other states do not offer that, (notice no ride around Florida exists but a lap of Florida does exist) yes they may offer goat paths, that follow the boundary, but gotta keep safety in mind. Further, the size of the state also matters, whether it can be done as a SS1000, maybe a ride in 28 hrs, or maybe a ride to be completed in 40 hrs. I know Howard has been working diligently on developing/increasing/certifying more "ride arounds" and "lap of" rides as evidenced by the newly posted "lap of" rides and "ride around" rides listed on the "Big List". Hope this helps.
http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/instate/index.html
Doug Vance
Cordova, TN

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>As I understand it, the two different categories of rides were established because some states have roads which follow the geographic boundary of the state and other states do not offer that, (notice no ride around Florida exists but a lap of Florida does exist) yes they may offer goat paths, that follow the boundary, but gotta keep safety in mind.
Interesting. Semantics is especially appreciated in IBA circles, isn't it? :)

Arizona is rather odd in that our north-western corner is only accessible as Eric and I have discussed - more as a sidebar to the original discussion.

This is why it becomes a bit of a challenge to actually establish a ride such as this, no matter what it needs to be called.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I hear yah Ken and to PilotJO, applaud you for working towards creating a new IBA ride. An example: Here is my proposed "Lap Of Tennessee" ride and guidance verbiage pending consideration and approval. I say again, this is only a proposal .... It may be shot down, it may get approved as is and it may be modified... It is an effort to create another IBA certified ride others like me may be interested in...

The Lap of Tennessee is roughly 1,235 miles on the shortest route and 1,275 miles on the fastest route. You must ride your motorcycle around Tennessee and collect DBRs from 4 cities.

Although most of the route is on interstates, there is a portion that is not on fast roads: specifically, the ride to and from Dyersburg to Tiptonville is a two lane road and can be slow; the road to and from Blountsville to Mountain City is a two lane road and can be slow, and the road to and from Chattanooga to Copperhill is a two lane road and can be slow and be aware, the Tennessee/Georgia state line runs through this small little town. Also, pay particular attention to your route between Chattanooga and Haletown as not to leave the state of Tennessee.

At the 29 hour pace, the Lap of Tennessee on the fastest route is slightly faster, at 44 mph, than a SaddleSore.

The ride must be completed in less than 29 hours.

You may start anywhere in Tennessee. You must start and end the ride at the same location, i.e. same DBR.

You may not leave Tennessee- except for safety reasons and if you leave you MUST re-enter Tennessee at the same point you left it.

You must obtain DBR every 350 miles or less AND in the following jurisdictions and the receipt MUST indicate the city, date and time. Check your receipts.

Memphis

Tiptonville

Mountain City

Copperhill

You may take any route you like - but remember you may not leave Tennessee.

Doug Vance
Cordova, TN

Attachments

Agreed. Apparently, there are unpaved roads that could take you from Beaver Dam east toward AZ-389. Fifty miles worth, easily. Don't know if you'd taken that kind of an off-road journey back when you lived out there.

Put it in the "can't get there from here - easily!" category.

Playing around for 20 minutes with what @PilotJO started with, I came up with this slightly-more-than-2000-mile jaunt around most of Arizona. Probably the closest thing to a lap around the state that there will be for some time to come.

https://tinyurl.com/ycu679pb

Certain places used were to ensure Google wouldn't try and take the easy way to a subsequent location.

Fort Mohave, AZ
near Willow Beach, AZ
Flagstaff, AZ
Fredonia, AZ
Marble Canyon, AZ (map shaping)
Teec Nos Pos, AZ
Ganado, AZ (map shaping)
Alpine, AZ
Hannagan Meadow, AZ (map shaping)
Duncan, AZ
Willcox, AZ
Douglas, AZ
Sonoita, AZ
Nogales, AZ
QuikTrip, 3345 W Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ 85746 (map shaping - this location keeps you to a minimum of traffic congestion in the southern end of Tucson)
Ajo, AZ
San Luis, AZ
Parker, AZ
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Fort Mohave, AZ

Google claims 34 hours, around 2006 miles. Various routing tweaks might lower that mileage.

EDIT:Even with some shaping, still didn't come out right, as the routing does go onto I-40 near Needles, California. Ugh.

Thanks for your efforts here--- I can't modify your map but from I40 take exit at AZ mile post 1 North at Topock northward along east border of protected wetlands via county road 10 to county road 1 joining AZ95 just north of Needles but STAYING ALL IN Arizona and will BYPASS California's Agricultural Inspection Station where all must give up their rights to freely travel and being searched without a warrant or even keeping your property if of certain types--- all without any recoupment from Government for our losses!

I see two challenges right now...not necessarily insurmountable, but it may increase the difficulty as you've described it:

- One would think that crossing a border to get to a location is a non-starter. Again, just thinking about the premise of the ride. Case in point, this was discussed elsewhere on this forum. One segment of the NY in-state ride has a portion of Interstate highway that bows into and exits Pennsylvania for a short distance. Yet, there is a alternate route that keeps you in NY state. I suspect that is specifically checked by the verification team to prove you've stayed in NY state. So, you could go to that convenience store on the highway near Willow Beach (if we're keeping most of that segment of US-93 in the ride) in lieu of crossing the border.

- There is no fuel stop that I can see via Google Maps in Colorado City. It's just across the border in Utah. There *may* be fuel in Fredonia instead.

2400 mile ride...50 hours? Your map plots 44 hours of riding time. That's probably reasonably accurate. Factor in some sort of a RON period, and 50 hours might be close.
Given the unique nature of our State geography I wonder if the powers that be here would get an exeption allowing riders to leave AZ into Nevada back into AZ into Utah then Back to Arizona to include the Virgin river gorge/Arizona Strip in a lap of Arizona ride---- With mandatory Spotwalla type tracking!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm interested in this. No idea how to cover that northwest corner without leaving the state. I'll be watching this to see what you figure out.
That's the point from the earlier discussion - there isn't one, unless...

<...>Here is a Grand Canyon loop in 2 halves I just worked up.....
<...>
Looks to be 1018 miles combined
...and, to me, that looks like a different ride - 'Lap Around GCNP'.

Now, a comment about that second half of your route - North Rim & South Rim in the same day. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to do that part of that ride route one July (or maybe it was August...) when US-89 just north of Flagstaff had been closed due to fires years ago.

The work-around was to open the gates and allow the traffic to flow thru Grand Canyon Village/Tusayan area, until the fire was under control.

We'd started our day in Kanab, and had stopped by the North Rim for the first time. Spent a couple of hours there wandering around, looking at stuff and grabbing a few photos before moving on.

Because I was a bit of a neophyte, I didn't consider an alternate route (160 to 264 - head toward Hopi nation, then toward Winslow and a more indirect path toward our SoAZ home.) Not a good move on my part - cost me another motel stay; we only made it to Payson before throwing in the towel.

As @outdoorsntn has documented, write up a proposal, and submit it for a more official evaluation - Howard or Ira - review. ;)

Last edited: