16t sprocket

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I just added a 16t sprocket to my KLR, it's supposed to lower it 500rpm on the highway, I'll post my findings on here.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
The sprocket dropped my rpm by 500, way better on the highway, also took away some of the buzz in the handle bar and foot pegs, I'm real happy with the change and was only $29, small steps at making this the perfect rally bike on a budget.

Garry in AZ

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Rodney, speaking of low buck KLR tricks... when I had my KLR, I found that swapping out the stock front fender for a smaller KTM fender resulted in the front end being more stable at freeway speeds. The stock fender seems to catch a lot of air, especially strong cross winds.
Another cheap mod to greatly reduce bar buzz is to switch to a Protaper bar and fill it with steel shot.

Garry

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Hey Rodney, speaking of low buck KLR tricks... when I had my KLR, I found that swapping out the stock front fender for a smaller KTM fender resulted in the front end being more stable at freeway speeds. The stock fender seems to catch a lot of air, especially strong cross winds.
Another cheap mod to greatly reduce bar buzz is to switch to a Protaper bar and fill it with steel shot.

Garry
Garry, I was wondering why some of the riders had short front fenders on their klr's, when I get a good cross wind it feels like the bike is going to come out from under me, so that's good advice, thanks