Welcome to the IBA Australia forum

Biggles

Premier Member
Update 12/02. Overall annual renewal due this month is US$247.48, which rounds out to about AUD $ 319.94 (based on today's Reserve Bank exchange rate). When I first started using SPOT in 2015 the annual registration charge was US $164.99 (AUD $ 213.30).
A 50% increase in 5 years! The SPOT owners reckon they've found a cash cow! At that rate I might be looking for a phone mount for the bike, much as I love the confidence and convenience of SPOT.

Tele

Premier Member
A 50% increase in 5 years! The SPOT owners reckon they've found a cash cow! At that rate I might be looking for a phone mount for the bike, much as I love the confidence and convenience of SPOT.
Sorry for the thread highjack, but just to comment ...... in a situation where the bike is broken down (or crashed), or when I need emergency assistance for whatever reason, then the phone mount is useless if there is no mobile phone coverage. I can ride within one hour of my home in Newcastle and there is no phone signal. PLB's are great in a genuine serious emergency, but a bike malfunction is hardly worthy of sending the airborne cavalry. SPOT offers an intermediate option between "need non urgent help" and "send the cavalry".

Tele

Premier Member
I don't mean to intrude, but are you sure you're looking at the right plan? A 1-year Basic service contract costs approx. $145 here in the US for my Spot X. A figure of $247.48 US sounds like the mid-tier package.
No intrusion Shawn. Thank you for your input. (Although the continuing thread highjack is concerning me somewhat).

Your comment has prompted me to phone the Spot help centre in the US and discuss the plan in detail (a most interesting 30 min chat). Their invoicing is deficient and their phone assistance rep confirms that. There is now only one plan in both the USA and Australia. The tiered system has been discontinued. Your base plan is US $143.40 plus applicable State taxes. The base plan they offer to Australia is US $167.40 which includes our national GST calculations (plus some other connection stuff). There is then another USD $20.00 charge applicable in Australia for cell phone network access to send the SMS message alerts generated by Spot. Overall then, the charge to me should be USD $167.40 + 20.00 = USD $187.40. (Much less than the USD $247.48 I have been charged on the current invoice). The call centre operator said he was "glad I called". So was I. Just saved USD $60. For any other Aussies who want to check what they are paying to Spot, the contact number was 1800 955 278. (be sure to have your account details to hand as the ID check is considerable).

tj189

Premier Member
No intrusion Shawn. Thank you for your input. (Although the continuing thread highjack is concerning me somewhat).

Your comment has prompted me to phone the Spot help centre in the US and discuss the plan in detail (a most interesting 30 min chat). Their invoicing is deficient and their phone assistance rep confirms that. There is now only one plan in both the USA and Australia. The tiered system has been discontinued. Your base plan is US $143.40 plus applicable State taxes. The base plan they offer to Australia is US $167.40 which includes our national GST calculations (plus some other connection stuff). There is then another USD $20.00 charge applicable in Australia for cell phone network access to send the SMS message alerts generated by Spot. Overall then, the charge to me should be USD $167.40 + 20.00 = USD $187.40. (Much less than the USD $247.48 I have been charged on the current invoice). The call centre operator said he was "glad I called". So was I. Just saved USD $60. For any other Aussies who want to check what they are paying to Spot, the contact number was 1800 955 278. (be sure to have your account details to hand as the ID check is considerable).

I agree Tele,
People, could we please move any more comments regarding spot into the General Discussion thread

HACKLE

Chris, you sound like an intelligent person. Why have you got involved with long distant rides. You just know there's no going back, now that you've taken one bite of the long distance pie. Your every thought, is now focused on your next ride. It's a common disease effecting all those here on the Forum. Good luck with your symptom solving solution. :D:D

Thanks for the welcomes, all.

Chris, you sound like an intelligent person. Why have you got involved with long distant rides. You just know there's no going back, now that you've taken one bite of the long distance pie. Your every thought, is now focused on your next ride. It's a common disease effecting all those here on the Forum. Good luck with your symptom solving solution. :D:D
Uh ... yes. That about sums it up. I'm thinking of doing a SS2500K next year to Townsville. Already mapping out the stops.

I tried to do one on my last SS1600K (Canberra to Coffs via Salamander Bay and then back down to Yass, over to Euston and then back to Hay) but I didn't prepare well enough and just got too cold on my way into Yass at 6am. It was below 0 degrees and had been below 5 degrees since about Taree. So I just called it at the 1700km mark and spent a couple of hours warming up (and waking up). Then I rode at a more relaxed pace to my final destination for the day which was Hay.

So I reckon a ride up to Townsville in September next year will be somewhat warmer at night.

I heard there was an ACT Insanity planned soon although it seems that might be postponed to next year. I'd be interested in riding that one.

Ed.

Premier Member
G'day Chris, I know you! Be welcome here, it is a little quieter and more docile than some other pubs we frequent but there is lots of great knowledge with good stories and inspiration from both in this country and around the world to be found.