What is a Scooter?

OldCrow

Premier Member
Hello,
How does IBA define a scooter? I see the Gold rides being under 300cc. But what characteristics must a vehicle have to be a "Scooter"? For example does a Honda C125 Super Cub rate being a scooter? It has foot pegs but still a step through design and small displacement.

According to wiki California rates anything under 149cc and faster then 30mph is "Motor-Driven Cycle.....commonly referred to as "scooters"". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooter_(motorcycle)#California

Would we call a Burgman 650 a scooter but not a Super Cub C125??

Just a mid winter head scratcher. I saw a Burgman Executive the other day and could not believe the size of it. When I grew up the Honda Elite 250cc was the biggest scooter to hit these(USA) shores :)

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hello,
How does IBA define a scooter? I see the Gold rides being under 300cc. But what characteristics must a vehicle have to be a "Scooter"? For example does a Honda C125 Super Cub rate being a scooter? It has foot pegs but still a step through design and small displacement.
I'm checking with Mike on what definition he wants to use.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
No word yet. So for the moment, please drop me a PM or email if you plan on a scooter ride and we'll provide an answer on a case-by-case basis.

As Justice Potter Stewart wrote in affirming Jacobellis v. Ohio (1964), ""I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it. . ." :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

OldCrow

Premier Member
As Justice Potter Stewart wrote in affirming Jacobellis v. Ohio (1964), ""I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it. . ." :)
I agree Scooters are Obscene ;)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It will be interesting to see where the Mini-Moto class of bikes falls, scooter or motorcycle. In functional terms, Mini-Moto bikes struggle to get to 60 mph, if capable of that at all. Whereas something like a CB125 or Kawasaki Eliminator is clearly a motorcycle, but still would struggle at highway speeds.

Perhaps the most clear definition of scooter Vs motorcycle would be engine layout. A horizontal engine being "scooter" and vertical being "motorcycle"? Virtually all traditional scooters are horizontal engine and CVT trans. Mini-motos can be traditional clutch or semi-auto as well as CVT, but all are horizontal engine layout. Maxi scooters like the Suzuki Bergman are also horizontal engine layout, despite being much larger displacement.

Last edited:

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hi. Sorry to kick off an old thread again, but wondering if a Honda SilverWing (600cc) would qualify for a scooter certificate?? I have a rider here (NZ) who is about four days away from doing his ride. TIA
Chris

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm no IBA official, but the Maxi Scooters are still scooters with CVT transmissions. That said, there isn't really any reason to turn in a SS1K cert ride on the Silverwing as a Scooter SS1K, it's no more challenging than most motorcycles. Good weather protection, plenty of power, etc. I'd just turn it in as a regular SS1K. The Scooter designation doesn't really mean anything when you're on a maxi scooter, imho.

Well thats all good then so I am keen to take my scooter on another ride since the Scout is off the road and I have been told that there is a special certificate in May, can you tell me more. Cheers Julian.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@2018scout - Welcome to the forum. You're going to have to be a little more specific than that. You can do a Scooter SS1K when ever suits you. Or longer scooter rides, if you wish. As for a special certificate in May, You're going to have to elaborate a bit more to narrow that down.