Bulkhead fitting suggestions

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looking for recommendations on a bulkhead fitting. Prior two bikes I used the huge one Maple Farkles provided with thier tanks, the one with the o-ring and female threads for an NPT threaded elbow hose barb. Worked well, but were large and difficult to manage in tight spaces.

Since I have no idea where those were sourced from, looking for suggestions on reliable fittings for plumbing my aux tank into a BMW plastic tank.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
While working on a recent leak caused by he O-Ring on my bulkhead fitting turning into a Q-Ring, I was semi-educated on fittings used by John Deere. They are 'rubber' coated and work very much like a lag screw anchor. They can be installed from the outside with ZERO inside access required. I did not get much further than that because by then I had the leak fixed, but I will certainly be looking at them if I ever plumb another aux tank again.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
stat-o-seal washers work very well. Go talk to your local hydraulic hose shop about bulkhead fittings and see what they have. Easier than online.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
stat-o-seal washers work very well. Go talk to your local hydraulic hose shop about bulkhead fittings and see what they have. Easier than online.
If I had a local shop that would be ideal...I'll have to search around and see if there is one I'm not aware of.

AwDang

I have to amend my Amazon recommendation above

You MUST replace the silicone orings. They are not compatible with Ethanol gas. BACEF479-D44D-48AE-B154-3D3B7D5DF91E.jpeg

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
While working on a recent leak caused by he O-Ring on my bulkhead fitting turning into a Q-Ring, I was semi-educated on fittings used by John Deere. They are 'rubber' coated and work very much like a lag screw anchor. They can be installed from the outside with ZERO inside access required. I did not get much further than that because by then I had the leak fixed, but I will certainly be looking at them if I ever plumb another aux tank again.
My interpretation ofnthe description of this fitting was in error. I gathered more information and you DO need to be able to access the inside of the tank to install it....

In this image from an ancient six inch thick parts manual, Item 4 goes inside the tank, Items 3 & 5 go outside the tank. Item 3 screws into Item 4 and compresses it against the inner wall while sealing it eith the coating. This one appears to be designed for diesel, but I suspect they have a gasoline version available as well.

Attachments

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My interpretation ofnthe description of this fitting was in error. I gathered more information and you DO need to be able to access the inside of the tank to install it....

In this image from an ancient six inch thick parts manual, Item 4 goes inside the tank, Items 3 & 5 go outside the tank. Item 3 screws into Item 4 and compresses it against the inner wall while sealing it eith the coating. This one appears to be designed for diesel, but I suspect they have a gasoline version available as well.
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. I have no issue going inside the tank, just need to find the perfect spot and fitting.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher

Interesting. It looks like a standard well-nut type fitting, just using a hollow 'fastener', which normally is all from one side. It would seem more 'secure' with the rubber portion on the inside, but seems un-necessary with the design. Not having had one in my hand, it's impossible to know the full design.
WellNut.jpeg

Another good online source for fittings is Oil Filter Service Company

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looking for recommendations on a bulkhead fitting. Prior two bikes I used the huge one Maple Farkles provided with thier tanks, the one with the o-ring and female threads for an NPT threaded elbow hose barb. Worked well, but were large and difficult to manage in tight spaces.

Since I have no idea where those were sourced from, looking for suggestions on reliable fittings for plumbing my aux tank into a BMW plastic tank.
Marc, I may have missed this but what motorcycle are you going to install a bulkhead fitting on?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I suspect I'll be the first. I have a mounting plan, just not sure I have time to execute in time.

Stock is 6.1 gallons and the bike seems to get 50-55 mpg, with another 5 gallons that's some epic range.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Interesting. It looks like a standard well-nut type fitting, just using a hollow 'fastener', which normally is all from one side. It would seem more 'secure' with the rubber portion on the inside, but seems un-necessary with the design. Not having had one in my hand, it's impossible to know the full design.
View attachment 6886

Another good online source for fittings is Oil Filter Service Company
You could be right. Perhaps my initial interpretation of the description was correct.