I feel the Need, the Need for - ACT Insanity v2.0!

thommo

Premier Member
IBA Member
What an outstanding weekend! A huge thanks to all the volunteers who made it possible behind the scenes. Thanks Olaf for organizing it all.

The ride up from Melbourne Friday was the biggest day I'd ridden in 2 years. Combine that with recovering from covid a few weeks ago, I had no idea if I'd do ten laps let alone 20. The first seven laps rolled by with little effort, fueled up and laps rolled by fairly easily and consistently until 13 when I needed a good 40 min break and refuel the bike. Again laps rolled by fairly easily until halfway through 18 when the wall hit. The lack of riding combined with the energy sapping effects of covid was certainly giving me a bear hug. Surprisingly a ten min break and coffee saw me peel out and knock the last 2 laps off riding with Derrick as easily as the first 2 laps.

My ride fitness is still in the gutter but!

Would I do it again? Certainly, it was a lotta fun.

Biggles

Premier Member
I'm sure others will post a report of their experiences, but having just finished processing the IBA Application, I decided, late though it is, to write up an outline of my Insanity.

Rubina was anxious to get started, and having refuelled with the required docket in the bag, I was also primed.

Suddenly I noted Olaf moving and called out asking if he was leaving, as I was expecting quite a few would be following his lead. Without hesitation he was away, and so was I, with just one other rider. About 4 kays out I realised I hadn't started the SPOT, so there was a flurry of panicked searching in the dark for the right buttons sought by roughly gloved fingers at 80kph.

Once I'd done a few laps I felt comfortable about stopping for a photo of this creature. Is it a lobster? Can't be- there are "eyes" on every "limb". Butterflies? Modern art- it is avant garde Canberra, after all.

It didn't take many laps before I worked out where breakfast was in the sequence of landmarks, but it was 8:45 before I allowed myself a stop, figuring it could, at a stretch, be brunch. After all, one's body clock is irrelevant on an adventure like this.

Chatting at the end, Martin happily agreed a Bacon and Egg McMuffin with a triple shot capuccino is the "go to" for brekkie on the road.

One of our key landmarks was Black Mountain. Its appearance was the warning to look out for a "double exit". We'd been warned in an email briefing by Olaf that getting this wrong would be costly for "out-of-towners" since regaining the designated route wasn't to be taken lightly. The sky was cloudy all day, but a few breaks in the late afternoon gave me hope I could get a photo of the tower with the sun directly on it, but it wasn't to be. However I'm very happy for the dedicated "pit crew" that the cloud cover made their vigil far more comfortable than clear skies.

I think the worst part of the lap was Drakeford Drive. There were times when I seemed to get every red light, often just for one vehicle turning across, or one on the cross road- even in the small hours of the morning. Oh, and that dumb arrangement of lights associated with the Light Rail on the 70kph Federal Highway! The traffic generally wasn't heavy except for the expected Saturday morning mob, and it often wasn't worth filtering to the front of one or two cars, but I did it a number of times just to keep the adrenaline flowing (the Honda's mirrors are the same height as most car's wing mirrors and the lanes weren't wide).

It must have been around the 7th lap that I nearly dropped the bike at the Kuringa Drive Stop sign. Accelerating into the right turn a patch of diesel evoked enough adrenalin to get me through the next half lap.

The highlight of every lap was, of course, being met at the pit stop by a very efficient record keeper, folder at the ready for the ODO and GPS numbers. In the mid afternoon Fatman was nearby solicitously asking after my condition. With a bit of exaggeration I could respond (albeit horsely) that I was "fine". Lynne The Pillion very generously ran into the servo to get a Coke I needed to wash down my lunchtime Roasted Salted Almonds (did I ever tell you how good they are?) The best meal of the day was pizza on the 14th and 15th laps. Maybe it was getting a bit cool, but it's the ideal way to scoff a bit of nutrition without the need for accoutrements. Bless whoever supplied those- no one was asking for payment.

Around 10:00pm, Fatman the encourager, was on hand again assuring me there were only three laps to go. At that stage I couldn't really muster any enthusiasm for the prospect of what had become profoundly boring, but resolved to just tough it out, dreading the long 100kph stretch down by the airport into the bone chilling wind. It was around that time rumours of Police radars began circulating. The only one I saw (twice) was lit up like a neon sign by my headlights. The large whiteboard above it assured us our speed had been recorded. I deduce it couldn't read our rear number plate. Maybe he would have jumped out of his van and flagged us down if we were caught misbehaving. Whatever, the report of a mobile Cop with a hand-held radar kept me scrupulously honest for the last two laps.

Finally I had my own cheer squad when I rolled in at 1:30am- finished with 75 minutes to spare. There were plenty more efficient riders, but I was happy just to have succeeded in my own time.

The early arrivers had left a handy space between their bikes, so Rubina was proud to slot in there. She could still compare notes with the other ST1300 just two bikes away to her left.

While I wasn't desperately needing to hit the sack, I did need to head off before the final photo because every bit of sleep was going to bolster my chances of getting home to Brisbane on Sunday.

Apart from the IBA's requirement of a lap recorder, the mission couldn't have been completed on time without the excellent pit crew. They cheerfully met us on every lap, willing to go beyond the basic recording duty. Once night fell, the temperature dropped to 12 degrees and there was a chilly wind to make it feel like 8 degrees, but they still soldiered on.

I did get home on Sunday night, after pushing through torrential rain on the M7 and west of Byron Bay, and drizzle most of the rest of the way. My wife waited up until 10:30 (QLD time) for me. One of her first questions was, "Would you do it again?" I know others have said they will if the opportunity came up. My reply was easy- "No." BTDT- Been there, done that, keep the grey IBA shirt and cap for another insane challenge.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Very nice write up. Well done, both on the ride and sharing with the forum. Everyone says "no" right after the event... then a couple of weeks later they start planning the next one, even odder than the last. :D Oh, and the "lobster" was a "bogong moth" Excellent job of building an imaginary wall around Canberra to keep it from escaping and terrorizing the wilds! Moths often have false eyes to fool predators.

Ed.

Premier Member
Right you are, Eric. Bogongs. That's some fine googling there!
Bogongs migrate through this area in spring/ early summer on their way to the high country (be kind, all those in places with real mountains). They were a very important traditional protein source for the indigenous population of the area. Given their bodies are commonly the size of you thumb or bigger, they are a bit of a pain on a bike; both literally with impact and figuratively with the mess they make.
Normally can be found in huge numbers in the evenings around any light in this area, their numbers have dropped massively in the last couple of post fire years, to the point that I wS reading something the other day that they are now considered endangered. It will be very interesting to see if they bounce back with the regrowth on the east coast.
Note; Bogong not, bogan of which the local population, both endemic and migratory, is booming and shows no sign of depletion at all.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/c8db-33e1a0-4c49/view?homeActive=1&showAll=1

I was knackered by the time I got home at 10:20 QLD time and barely had the energy to post to the FB page. So much for Martin's "That will be about 9 hours!" My 14 hours shows how much ahead of me he is at this Ironbutt game, but then, he's qualified for the IBR and I'll be a spectator! ;)
As others have said, it was great to roll into the pits on every lap to be met by a highly efficient recorder. Fatman was often on hand checking on my condition and offering words of encouragement and updates on the Police patrols. Lyn was usually there with a cheerful word and taking a photo to prove it really did happen. Kimmie was her legendary self, travelling down from Sydney and staying all day. The pizzas were very welcome- when you're hungry and don't have the luxury of a chair, plate and cutlery, pizza is the perfect pick-me-up.
By lap 5 I had found the Maccas and was very happy to treat myself to my "road meal" of a McMuffin and coffee. On about the 7th lap I hit a diesel spill at the Kuringa Drive stop signed T intersection and felt very insecure for a few seconds. I know Martin noticed it, but said he wasn't fazed by it. On my 18th lap I had a brain fart and didn't refuel which entailed a 1.7 km loop back to the servo for fuel.
Anyway, I'll pull those memories and a few more together to make a Ride Report that others can identify with (or laugh at :)).
Congratulations on completing the ride you did well. You know that Fatman & I are always happy to encourage people on a ride. It was great to see you hopefully it's not as long this time. Great write up, Ihave some pics i'll send to you ;)

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I loved every minute of it with you all, and the "Pit Crew" were amazing, all of them. Thank you.
I'm sure that none of you will be surprised "and to make matters worse" there are already two requests in my email to DO IT AGAIN!
I'd love to, on a different bike. But someone else can have the "pleasure" of organising it this time!