Help and Advice

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Post on this thread if you want to ask questions or seek advice.

Here's a list of key people helping to organize things in case you want to contact them directly. For those below that have private email addresses please register to use the forum and start a 'conversation' with them (private message). :)

RBLR Liaison - Neil (Taff) Rogers, Branch Vice Chairman

[email protected]

Event registration, Certificates & Main man - Philip Weston (IBA UK President)
[email protected]

Routes & Event paperwork - Mark Fowler
FJRPilot

Squires Liaison & Start/finish coordinator - Graeme Dawson
GraemeandSally

Publicity & PR - Dominic (Nic) Lonsdale
Bimbler

IBA Verifications - Mike Topham
[email protected]

Last edited:

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Rev Stephen Hancock said in another thread: "I've booked into the South Milford Hotel for the Friday night but wondered does anyone actually stop en-route for sleep somewhere (B&B for 4-5hrs) or just push-on-through and sleep at a nearby hotel - get up to 'cross the line' - then go back to bed all day Sunday (I have the day off by the way)"?

In the first one me and a friend rode together and took too many stops, each for too long ("Oh that looks nice lets stop and take some pictures" - 10 mins gone). The time disappeared and we ended up kipping in a lay-by for 45 minutes. We just finished in 23.5 hours.

Although you can't bank sleep try and get as much rest in the week leading up to the ride and get a nice early night on the Friday. If you ride, just stop to refuel then ride again it's surprising how much ground you'll cover in the time. Many riders finish in around 20-22 hours. But as Sneezy quite rightly said if you feel tired stop and take a break. There's advice in the shared documents file and the Archive of Wisdom is well worth reading several times too.

Edit - It might be worth booking a second night in a hotel on the Saturday. Even if you're back late in the early hours of Sunday you can then crash out till mid morning if you need to. I usually finish around midnight so it's nice coming back to a warm comfy bed for a nice long sleep :)

I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Remember your doing the ride for the poppy appeal. Your aim should be to get around safely in 24 hrs. It's not a sightseeing trip. Always stop and rest of you have to.

Hi all, I'm the other half to my partner who will be taking part in the ride and am trying to set up a 'just giving' page for him. I've seen the charity number 219279 which is the RBL, does this incorporate the Poppy Appeal? Many thanks in advance :)

UPDATE - All sorted now, and we've already had a couple of donations :)

Last edited:

Bimbler

RBLR1000 Publicity
IBA Member
It might be worth booking a second night in a hotel on the Saturday. Even if you're back late in the early hours of Sunday you can then crash out till mid morning if you need to. I usually finish around midnight so it's nice coming back to a warm comfy bed for a nice long sleep :).
Oh very much so. Now that I have done this a few times, I now book for Friday and Saturday Night. I leave my bed at 0500 on Saturday to ride up to the start and return to my duvet around 0300 on Sunday. Then check out at 1159. (before the 1200 cut - off)
I even managed a well earned finishers G&T at 0255 - the bar was still open at the Premier Inn.

No need to rush but don't waste time. If the wheels are not turning you are doing something wrong,

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Hi phil/mark.
Is the certificate for the pillions free? If not, can mine be made for marion, my pillion, as i already have one?
Cheers mark

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi phil/mark. Is the certificate for the pillions free? If not, can mine be made for marion, my pillion, as i already have one?
Cheers mark
Hi Mark. Phil's yer man to answer this one. I'm not certain what's happened in the past but I presume (maybe wrongly) that all certificates are inlcuded as I've not seen anything saying they're not. If he doesn't see this send him a PM conversation thingy.

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Hi Mark. Phil's yer man to answer this one. I'm not certain what's happened in the past but I presume (maybe wrongly) that all certificates are inlcuded as I've not seen anything saying they're not. If he doesn't see this send him a PM conversation thingy.
We have always got one each

Just been approached by a colleague of mine. he would like to do the 1000, but may be in America for work, so is not sure where he will be yet. is it possible for him to turn up on the Friday night, pay his entry fee at the registration and ride on the Saturday or would that be too much Admin hassle??

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Just been approached by a colleague of mine. he would like to do the 1000, but may be in America for work, so is not sure where he will be yet. is it possible for him to turn up on the Friday night, pay his entry fee at the registration and ride on the Saturday or would that be too much Admin hassle??
PM sent :)

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Is there an earliest time to sign in on the friday? Not sure ill make the friday night meeting, but marion is meeting me later, and can check in for us?

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm aiming to get to Squires for lunch and I think Graeme will be too, or shortly afterwards. So I'd say early afternoon would be ok to start registering, say around 1.30 - 2 p.m? As there should be no paperwork to issue it should only take a minute or so if there's no queues. I'll be bringing along some spare paperwork (receipt logs & maps/route cards) just in case some nuggets forget to pack theirs. :)

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Is there an earliest time to sign in on the friday? Not sure ill make the friday night meeting, but marion is meeting me later, and can check in for us?
I am aiming to be on site early on to get things set up will be aiming to start to check riders in from 13.30

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Is there a reason for the 5am start?
Maybe an earlier start next year, meaning less riders riders riding later in the evening when tired,and missing more traffic first thing, ( most riders should be clear of glasgow/edinburgh, before folk get up to go eat swedish meatballs,)maybe even just bring it forward an hour, still giving the people the option of choosing a departure time suitable.