Gas cans

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I have a question about gas cans and rallying, when I travel I carry a 1 gal gas can that is made for my saddle bag, I carry it for myself and incase I run into a rider that's out of gas, it happened to me on the last rally I did, I didn't have my gas can and came on a stranded rider that was out of gas, I stopped but could do nothing for him. I also carry a medical kit, I got it for myself and if I need to help somebody. I've read the rules for most rallys and in big bold letters it says no fuel containers, and I'd never have one on the bike when I'm on the clock, but why aren't you allowed to carry extra fuel?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I have a question about gas cans and rallying, when I travel I carry a 1 gal gas can that is made for my saddle bag, I carry it for myself and incase I run into a rider that's out of gas, it happened to me on the last rally I did, I didn't have my gas can and came on a stranded rider that was out of gas, I stopped but could do nothing for him. I also carry a medical kit, I got it for myself and if I need to help somebody. I've read the rules for most rallys and in big bold letters it says no fuel containers, and I'd never have one on the bike when I'm on the clock, but why aren't you allowed to carry extra fuel?
In most rallies, you are allowed to carry additional fuel. It's not the fuel - it's how it's carried. Rallymasters do not consider a gas can as a safe method of transport - if one goes down, there is a significant risk of fire or other nasty things happening. Expanded fuel tanks and fuel cells are normally OK in most rallies.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
In most rallies, you are allowed to carry additional fuel. It's not the fuel - it's how it's carried. Rallymasters do not consider a gas can as a safe method of transport - if one goes down, there is a significant risk of fire or other nasty things happening. Expanded fuel tanks and fuel cells are normally OK in most rallies.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
I understand, thanks Ira.