RBLR1000 2024

I'm planning to help out at Squires in 2024 and do North Anti Clockwise on my XVS 1100 Trike in 2025. Not been riding it for a while so need to get the practice for 2025. Done both the North Routes on my XVS 650 Trike. Hopefully I can do it a bit quicker with less breakdowns. 23 3/4 hrs the first time and 23 1/2 hrs second time

Only got my licence last year, this seems right up my street and will be giving money to the RBL while getting my first IBA certification at the same time.

No idea if will make it but will have fun trying.

Firstpeke

I would suggest you may want to try a 500 mile circuit for a first attempt as jumping in on a 1000+ mile ride might prove to be too much!

Not looking to discourage you from trying but if you aren't comfortable with at least 500 miles in a day, 1000 may prove too much!

Have you ridden any longer days in the last year?

I would suggest you may want to try a 500 mile circuit for a first attempt as jumping in on a 1000+ mile ride might prove to be too much!

Not looking to discourage you from trying but if you aren't comfortable with at least 500 miles in a day, 1000 may prove too much!

Have you ridden any longer days in the last year?
Done 300 a few times. Honestly, I am not expecting it to be easy but I relish the challenge.

Love riding my bike and always wanted to go to North Scotland so is perfect.

Firstpeke

That's a great start!

Make sure you read all the requirements for the ride and the need for receipts from set points on whichever route you register to ride!

Most of us stay in a hotel nearby for Friday and Saturday nights, this means a decent sleep, hopefully, a meal and a shower when you get up at around 0400 or so to be at Squires for your allocated start time!
There is free camping available at Squires if preferred, but I prefer to be better rested!

Last year I was overtaken by loads of folk going up the A1M but having been to JOG and returning to Squires, most of them finished later!

It's not about speed, pacing yourself, ensuring you do the required stops for fuel/receipt and resting if needed are far more important.

I look forward to seeing you there!

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Great advice, I'll just add to practice fuel stops and comfort breaks because they're you biggest time thieves, its not a race but think of it as a pit stop, if you're in and out in your usual 20 minutes that's likely to add 3 hours or more to your ride time. My fuel stops are below 5 minutes which allows me me more time for comfort breaks and scoff. Number your fuel receipts and keep them safe, sound and dry in a zip lock plastic bag, it's been known to rain in Scotland. There'll be plenty of time once back at Squires when the clocks stopped to complete the paperwork over a cup of well deserved, served all night tea or coffee.

Rufty tufty camping and the northern clockwise route for me.

That's a great start!

Make sure you read all the requirements for the ride and the need for receipts from set points on whichever route you register to ride!

Most of us stay in a hotel nearby for Friday and Saturday nights, this means a decent sleep, hopefully, a meal and a shower when you get up at around 0400 or so to be at Squires for your allocated start time!
There is free camping available at Squires if preferred, but I prefer to be better rested!

Last year I was overtaken by loads of folk going up the A1M but having been to JOG and returning to Squires, most of them finished later!

It's not about speed, pacing yourself, ensuring you do the required stops for fuel/receipt and resting if needed are far more important.

I look forward to seeing you there!
Many thanks for the reply, very helpful.

I did think of going to JOG while that way but do not think it is the best use of time given the circumstances being my first endurance ride and all, probably add an hour with a stop I guess?

Does anyone bother with any comms while riding at all, mesh comms or the like to chat when in range of one another?

Last edited:
Great advice, I'll just add to practice fuel stops and comfort breaks because they're you biggest time thieves, its not a race but think of it as a pit stop, if you're in and out in your usual 20 minutes that's likely to add 3 hours or more to your ride time. My fuel stops are below 5 minutes which allows me me more time for comfort breaks and scoff. Number your fuel receipts and keep them safe, sound and dry in a zip lock plastic bag, it's been known to rain in Scotland. There'll be plenty of time once back at Squires when the clocks stopped to complete the paperwork over a cup of well deserved, served all night tea or coffee.

Rufty tufty camping and the northern clockwise route for me.
That is kind of tips I need, thank you. As you say, soo easy to take 20 minutes here and there but it all adds up.

How many comfort/scoff breaks do you allow? Do you allocate more during the early morning hours?

Any parts of the route where petrol stations are thin on the ground or not 24 hour?

I will be doing Northern Clockwise, probably camping too. Is camping permitted on Friday and Saturday night?

Always wanted to ride around Scotland so this is the perfect opportunity.

Cheers.

Last edited:

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Take as many comfort and scoff breaks as you need, I normally get round with three taken at fuel stops but if I need more.

Back in the 1970's fuel stops in Scotland required proper planning, today 24 hour fuel stops are never too far away. I arrive at Squires with a full tank and fill up at each 'corner' (Rivington, Fort William, Wick and Dreghorn Link) and then some. In the past I've stopped at Carlisle Tesco, Lesmahagow Tesco, Inshes Park (Inverness) Tesco, Aviemore BP and Pitlochry BP and reluctantly the Washington Services A1(M).

In 2022 three of us rode the Wick to Edinburgh section via Braemar and the Cairngorms so we fuel stopped at the Grantown-on-Spey Esso, it adds an hour or more to the ride time and you need to leave Wick before 16:00 hours to clear the twisties and get on the M90 (Perth) before dusk.

Yes, the RBLR 1000 entry fee includes free camping on both Friday and Saturday night, just don't pitch up on my favourite spot ;)

Capt Sisko

I'm a 50 / 50 hotel camper here. On the Friday afternoon I'll set up my tent, but stay in a hotel for the Friday night. It might mean the alarm goes off slightly earlier, but for me the trade is a warm shower, clean sheets, a good nights sleep and putting on kit the following morning that hasn't got that slightly overnight camping damp feeling to it. Saturday night and after being on the go for 24hrs, tent, Travelodge or a suite at the Savoy, I'll sleep.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
That is kind of tips I need, thank you. As you say, soo easy to take 20 minutes here and there but it all adds up.

How many comfort/scoff breaks do you allow? Do you allocate more during the early morning hours?

Any parts of the route where petrol stations are thin on the ground or not 24 hour?

I will be doing Northern Clockwise, probably camping too. Is camping permitted on Friday and Saturday night?

Always wanted to ride around Scotland so this is the perfect opportunity.

Cheers.
What mileage do you get from a tankful? North C.L a wise choice better to get that drag north M6/M74 done first, get your first two fuel stops done quick that gives you a bit of space to have a break hot drink and a hot snack NOT a full meal, get some chewing gum or clean your teeth after makes you feel better plus you are less likely to have gob like a Moroccan camel drivers flip flop after 1000 miles.
In the mean time practice do a 500 mile days make sure your riding kit is warm dry windproof and comfortable and increase to a SS 1000.

Hummers

Finisher RBLR1000 '22
IBA Member
Really enjoyable trip in 2022 (North, anti-clockwise). I am hoping to enter again but need to see how things go for me in other areas of Real Life this year.

Is a tankbag a useful accessory for the RBLR1000 or hinderance when refuelling?

I have a top box but was wondering for keeping phone in to charge if raining.

Also, does anyone use an hydration pack?

What are the "recommended" foods to avoid the "stodge" feeling? Definitely avoiding McDonalds, always want to sleep after that.

Am thinking porridge for breakfast but what do you consume during the next 18-20 hours, more porridge, flapjacks :)

Also, is there any facility to do a bank transfer of sponsorship funds on the day or even a few days before as my bank does not issue cheque books.

On the sign-up form, it gives the option to order t-shirts...

RBLR1000 Tshirt.png

I assume it is just to order a "second" shirt, apologies if my dumb brain was not able to figure out the obvious but I started thinking if it was a "second" design :)

Cheers.

Last edited:

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Tank bag is useful for all your bits, spare gloves/neck tubes, plus you have the transparent window for your route info contact No's ect but you can keep all this in your top box.
A definite yes to a hydration pack drink little and often, porridge for breakfast, fruit, nuts, don't be frightened of eating if you are hungry have a sandwich or a pork pie and a cup of tea, make sure you are warm and dry carry extra layers to put on it will get colder late afternoon/early evening the M6 at 2 AM is bloody cold you always have to take in account the chill factor at 60/70 MPH.
Check the site for payment details

Capt Sisko

As Ahamay said, you do need to carry an extra layer, spare gloves etc, I'd therefore stick with your top box as you'll need the space. Don't get me wrong, tank bags are good for your knick-knacks, but I've yet to find a fully waterproof one. Presenting a pile of soggy receipts that have stuck together and won't peel apart at two o'clock in the morning isn't a good way of getting your ride verified!

A hydration pack. I'd say no. You're going to need to stop at least 5 times for your proof of receipts & probably fill up a couple of times more. A cold 500ml bottle out of the fridge is going to taste a darn sight better than something lukewarm and tasting of rubbery plastic bladder. A bottle one at each each fuel stop, i.e. a total of 2500ml plus a cuppa at breakfast and maybe one at another break ought o be more than enough. If it's a hot day and hydration concerns you, just carry a spare bottle on your top box.

Lastly you mentioned porridge, yep that's exactly what I've used for breakfast. One of those just add boiling water to the paper pot type things are as a good as anything (don't forget a spoon). That along with a snack bar (or maybe one of those bottles of Huel) and a cuppa will see you through your first two hundred miles with ease. After that I just graze with water & snack bar, but do try to eat a proper sandwich or something similar at Wick. The Tesco petrol station is just your typical small pay & snack type place, but the main store is a full on Tesco with everything you need, including some decent loos!

Last edited:

Capt Sisko

First & biggest, it's not a race. 20hrs x 50mph = 1,000miles (and you'll average a lot faster than 50mph on most of the motorway sections). That gives you four hours for fuel, rest & natural breaks. Sure you can't hang around, but it's more about making progress than outright speed. Get your fuel stops done efficiently, get back moving and come the evening stint when you're starting to feel cold, tired & hungry you'll have time in the bank for decent break that'll see you back to Squires. I'm a bit OCD and make up a route card with mileage & anticipated times on it. It's a bit OTT, but acts as a good indicator of your progress (or lack thereof). It also divides the route into smaller sections which makes the last long leg home a little less daunting. Having your sat nav set with a 1000+ miles to go is fun to start off, but less so when you've looked at it and you've still got 300miles to do and it's cold, dark and just starting to rain! A hundred miles to the the next pit stop doesn't sound so bad.

The second thing I'll say is eliminate those little niggles before you even set out from home. A small annoyance on a short ride is just that, an annoyance. After 12hrs in the saddle you'll be ripping out whatever it is out with your bare teeth. Same goes for anything new & unproven. Old faithful that you know works is better than all singing & dancing, but may not live up to expectations.

Lastly I'd say enjoy it and don't be afraid to tag along with others (if their pace & riding style suits you). I rode up to Wick on my own last time, but on the way back there were four of us that just sort of teamed up and we rode back most of the way together. That was much more enjoyable.

Last edited: