Gasoline! Auxiliary Tanks.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
What happened at the end of the video? Lol, can't wait until next yrs rally, I like the low profile set-ups.

Last edited:
Great options - not sure I would be comfortable with a couple of the mounts under the license plate or extending beyond the rear tire.
"Tail-dragger" tanks are a fairly common fitment. They allow a passenger to be carried and/or increase loading capacity. On the FJR that matters because the side-cases are horrible.

I've never heard of this arrangement causing any safety issues, above and beyond those inherent in carrying 6.6 gallons between your legs above a very hot engine. Even in a rear impact the aluminum is not likely to split, and if it does you would be pushed forwards, away from any spill (besides, you'd probably have more than that to worry about if you were hit hard enough to break the tank).

One issue is that tail-dragger tanks require a fuel pump, an anti-siphon valve and the associated wiring ... another point of potential failure.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
"Tail-dragger" tanks are a fairly common fitment. They allow a passenger to be carried and/or increase loading capacity. On the FJR that matters because the side-cases are horrible.

I've never heard of this arrangement causing any safety issues, above and beyond those inherent in carrying 6.6 gallons between your legs above a very hot engine. Even in a rear impact the aluminum is not likely to split, and if it does you would be pushed forwards, away from any spill (besides, you'd probably have more than that to worry about if you were hit hard enough to break the tank).

One issue is that tail-dragger tanks require a fuel pump, an anti-siphon valve and the associated wiring ... another point of potential failure.
Excellent points - I thought about it further after posting my initial response and came to some of the same conclusions i.e. is a trail-dragger mounting option less safe than having additional gallons of gas directly behind me. :)
Scott

Excellent points - I thought about it further after posting my initial response and came to some of the same conclusions i.e. is a trail-dragger mounting option less safe than having additional gallons of gas directly behind me. :)
Each incident is unique, so it's hard to say.

Auxiliary tanks have been around a very long time, and over the years quite a few have been involved in wrecks. I've never heard of one that has caused an accident to have worse consequences because of the tank, wherever mounted, but it may have happened.

Each incident is unique, so it's hard to say.

Auxiliary tanks have been around a very long time, and over the years quite a few have been involved in wrecks. I've never heard of one that has caused an accident to have worse consequences because of the tank, wherever mounted, but it may have happened.
Scott, I recently downsized from 1600 to an F 750 GS. Although I have several ironbuttd under my belt I don’t anticipate doing many more, maybe Mexico, I’m 81 it’s time to slow down. BUT... my F 750 only has a 4 gal tank maybe. I need an aux tank 2-3 gals. Can you direct me to purchase one or someone who might. You were chosen at random do Im certain this is a God thing. Don’t let Him down. ;-). Thanx for your time. Bob Erwin
[email protected]. Thank again