SS1000 vs SS1600k

Morrissey

Hi guys. So I'm reading through some of the available challenges and WOW! there are some amazing and even slightly crazy challenges available. While reading I noted that there are several challenges available for rides outside of the USA, such as the SS1600k, SS2000k, SS3000k etc. After doing some conversions, I see that the mileage on these doesn't exactly match the imperial based rides. I mean, the SS1000 and the SS1600k are pretty similar (the 1000mi = 1609km) but the SS2000 in 48hrs actually equals 3218km and if you are doing the "K" rides you get the award at 3000km, a full 218km easier.

This doesn't seem fair, or am I just nit picking? Do I have to register my rides in Canada as a "K" ride? Or can I do them as SS1000 etc rides even though they are done in Canada? Also, the SS1000 and SS2000 get cool patches and pins with a motorcycle and rider depicted on them but the patch for the SS1600k is an oval globe picture with words across it. The pin is a cool bike/rider combo. What gives?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hi guys. So I'm reading through some of the available challenges and WOW! there are some amazing and even slightly crazy challenges available. While reading I noted that there are several challenges available for rides outside of the USA, such as the SS1600k, SS2000k, SS3000k etc. After doing some conversions, I see that the mileage on these doesn't exactly match the imperial based rides. I mean, the SS1000 and the SS1600k are pretty similar (the 1000mi = 1609km) but the SS2000 in 48hrs actually equals 3218km and if you are doing the "K" rides you get the award at 3000km, a full 218km easier.

This doesn't seem fair, or am I just nit picking? Do I have to register my rides in Canada as a "K" ride? Or can I do them as SS1000 etc rides even though they are done in Canada? Also, the SS1000 and SS2000 get cool patches and pins with a motorcycle and rider depicted on them but the patch for the SS1600k is an oval globe picture with words across it. The pin is a cool bike/rider combo. What gives?
I think you are, in fact, nitpicking. :)

That said, to answer your questions, you can do the mile-based rides anywhere in the world, including Canada. You can only do the kilometer-based rides entirely outside the US. Note that the Saddlesore 1600k actually requires you complete at least 1,610 km.

We established the kilometer-based ride for those attempting rides in countries where the metric system is used (which is most of the world). Although the Saddlesore 1600k matches up pretty closely to the Saddlesore 1000, the same could not really be said for the others - a ride called the Saddlesore 3200k just doesn't have that round-number feel, as the Saddlesore 3000k does.

There's nothing I can really say about pin and patch design, other than we'll pass your comments to Donna, who is the designer of most of them.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited: