Lane splitting

I see where Washington State may joining California in allowing lane-splitting. Senate Bill 5378 is being considered by the legislature. On April 23, the House, by resolution, returned the Bill to the Senate Rules Committee for a third reading.
This is promising relief for motorcycle riders who get stuck in rush hour traffic, particularly passing through crowded metro areas.
It isn't for every rider, but it would be nice to have the option.
--Chelsea

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Definitely one of the best things about living in Cali. Sometimes I take lane splitting for granted and continue to do it in other states where drivers are not accustomed to letting a MC go past and have people yelling and shaking their fist at me... oops.

Scott

BMWguy

IBA Member
That report is interesting as I would have never thought lane splitting would be an endorsed technique by the AMA.

Other than seen it on YouTube, I have no experience with this, so bear with my ignorance on the subject.
What's the SOP during a traffic backup when all vehicles begin to move? Do motorists have to allow a motorcycle a right of way to re-enter a lane?
And, what if the motorcyclist come to a point where two vehicles are so close to the lane dividing line that they cannot proceed any further towards the front of the congested traffic and are basically stuck between the two lanes?

Scott Parish

Premier Member
That report is interesting as I would have never thought lane splitting would be an endorsed technique by the AMA.

Other than seen it on YouTube, I have no experience with this, so bear with my ignorance on the subject.
What's the SOP during a traffic backup when all vehicles begin to move? Do motorists have to allow a motorcycle a right of way to re-enter a lane?
And, what if the motorcyclist come to a point where two vehicles are so close to the lane dividing line that they cannot proceed any further towards the front of the congested traffic and are basically stuck between the two lanes?
Typically splitting is done between lane 1 and 2 (far left lanes i.e. fast lane). Drivers in these lanes are generally aware motorcyclist will be coming through and move over enough. However, there are a number of drivers who are either not paying attention or deliberately crowd the lane line to obstruct - when this happens I generally just wait for an opening to move past.

Scott

BMWguy

IBA Member
Just seems risky to me - but, again, I have no experience at all with this.
It must work well since so many riders endorse the technique.
Just takes some getting used to...
Thanks Scott - much appreciated!!

DelB

Premier Member
Last Saturday I ventured into the land of taxes. I had to get to Hayward for the Tour of Honor site. Traffic was heavy on 205 connecting I-5 with 580. Since I ride a Goldwing, my presence is large. And since I read the Cali law, I progressed at around 30 to 35mph. I moved past the cars and trucks with a speed difference of about 10mph. Rather safe and sane for most Cali motorcyclists. Numerous times I was met with cars closing the gap in order to stop me.

So beware of NorCal. They are not so lane-splitting friendly as SoCal. They will try to prevent you from passing to the point of opening doors on you.

BE WARNED!!

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
In the UK we take lane-splitting (or filtering as we call it) for granted. It's legal and officially encouraged at all levels of rider training but it's always the rider's responsibility to maintain safety. When I come up behind stationary or slow moving traffic I treat all those vehicles as hazards, many drivers will not be aware of my presence, it's up to me to anticipate their actions. Occasionally some clown will try to block my passage and when that happens I either go around the other side or just wait until a gap opens up. There'll always be someone who thinks he knows the rules better than you and gets butthurt about you having an "unfair advantage". Life's too short, let him have his petty moment.

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Last Saturday I ventured into the land of taxes. I had to get to Hayward for the Tour of Honor site. Traffic was heavy on 205 connecting I-5 with 580. Since I ride a Goldwing, my presence is large. And since I read the Cali law, I progressed at around 30 to 35mph. I moved past the cars and trucks with a speed difference of about 10mph. Rather safe and sane for most Cali motorcyclists. Numerous times I was met with cars closing the gap in order to stop me.

So beware of NorCal. They are not so lane-splitting friendly as SoCal. They will try to prevent you from passing to the point of opening doors on you.

BE WARNED!!
I just love it when some a... ...agitated cager closes in on you just to cut you off - and the driver in the other lane as a result opens up to allow you the space needed to make a safe pass.

Yes, lane-splitting can indeed cause controversy even where legal and allowed.
If one face negative response on lane-splitting, then better try to switch into "filtering" instead.
Much more civil and polite.

Hampe

DelB

Premier Member
If your definition of "filtering" is to weave in and out of the lanes using the spaces between cars, then that is what I do. Only squids and small Harleys run hot and fast straight up the lines.

There is always someone that makes the extreme poor choice in a group, that others judge the whole group by.
I see it most everyday on my morning commute, where some young clown in a car crosses three lanes without signaling or checking for clearance. I initially think that all young people drive without a basic understanding of physics. I then back away with the realization that that young person doesn't represent ALL young drivers. So, riders who recklessly split lanes too hot or weave in and out without safe clearances do not represent me or my riding habits.
--Chelsea

If your definition of "filtering" is to weave in and out of the lanes using the spaces between cars, then that is what I do. Only squids and small Harleys run hot and fast straight up the lines.
I definitely split faster when riding the ZX10R than I do on the Concourse or R1200GSA because I need much less room. I also prefer to ride the line between lane 1 and 2 versus "weaving" through traffic. I agree sometimes I think others might be splitting faster then I think is safe - however, it comes down to a matter of individual comfort for the given conditions.

Scott

igneouss

Premier Member
I've ridden in London. Filtering works. In my case it generally involved "filtering" to the front at lights. Many intersections have extra space in front of the stop bar where bikes wait for the light to change. It works very well.

California in my opinion is far worse. From what I have seen, a large percentage of riders have no idea what the rules are. They pass cars in places, and at times that they are not supposed too. I have never seen or heard of a case where police enforced the rules concerning lane splitting. Bikes just seem to pass whenever or where ever they want.

As a Northern California commuter I calculate about 200 miles / year lane sharing and filtering. I keep the speed differential lower than needed for the sake of reaction time, inattentive cagers, and aggressive drivers. Sorry some adrenaline junkies on sport bikes agitate them, influencing how they see all of us. About once every 5 years I've had someone try to crowd me and let them have their space rather than finish the ride in an ambulance. Depending on the area, there are sections where it looks like I'm pushing a wake as both lanes open space to let you through. 50% of California drivers don't even know it IS legal! I found upgrading my lighting to obnoxious levels was much more effective than the loud pipes on my last bike! My understanding is that lane "splitting" has never been legal, but lane "sharing" is. Semantics. And "filtering" more specifically refers to working your way up to the light when traffic is at a standstill.

igneouss

Premier Member
My understanding is that lane "splitting" has never been legal, but lane "sharing" is. Semantics. And "filtering" more specifically refers to working your way up to the light when traffic is at a standstill.
Splitting, sharing, and filtering are, as you note, not exactly the same thing. In this convo I take Filtering to refer to what is done in the UK. That includes Sharing or Splitting and Filtering at lights.

Part of what makes things different in England, specifically in London, is "critical mass". During rush hour there are lots of bikes. Every cager sees lots of bikes around them. It brings everyone to a higher level.

In CA there are generally fewer bikes relative to the number of cars. Couple that with (opinion) that the vast majority of riders are ignorant of the rules... the result is a more chaotic situation. More irritated cagers and riskier conditions for riders.

Might be worth acknowledging that IBR members are far more likely to be aware of the rules and acting as skilled riders.

In rush hour traffic here, I pretty much just stay split. Think of it as another lane between the lanes. Usually between lanes 1 and 2. Technically, we're sharing lane 1 with the cars. Most cars and busses hug the left line in 1, giving the bikes room on the right. Often, the cars will pull over the left line giving even more room. Every once in a while, you get someone that wants to block you, but its no big deal. I really think it's safer then being in the normal flow.