BigLew55's 50CC planning -- with Ride Report added

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Lew,

What is your official start date in Jax? (sorry if I missed going through the thread). I'm leaving San Diego May 17th for a 100CCC (SD-Jax-SD). Should be back in SD on the 20th. Plan to ride straight through to Jax; sleep 6-8 hours and ride straight back. Just finishing San Diego Sheriff's Search and Rescue Academy the week prior and looking to decompress; but don't have a big window of time.
I'm hoping to head out to JAX on the 6th, and head west on the 8th, but that is all flexible for weather. I have about 4 days to delay it if needed, but I probably won't , short of a hurricane.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Finally got around to checking on a few of the remote fuel stops. They all answered and offered 24 hour pay at the pump, so I think I'm about set. I just have to do a final check of my gear and re-pack the bike.

...and survive a few more days at work...

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
also decided to bail on the route from CA back to the Midwest via Colorado. I just don't want to risk getting stuck in the snow. I'll be coming back through Flagstaff before turning ENE. Still some risk of frozen precip, but reduced. I also can bag a 1K or even a 1.5K cert if I feel up to it.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I made it! Now to put everything together to see if it passes muster. I pulled off the 50CC, BBG1500 (Jax to Van Horn), and, just for fun a SS1K last night from Santa Rosa, NM back to Iowa. I'll give some more specifics after I sort through everything.

Thanks to everyone for their input and insight! It proved very helpful and reassuring during the ride.

I made it! Now to put everything together to see if it passes muster. I pulled off the 50CC, BBG1500 (Jax to Van Horn), and, just for fun a SS1K last night from Santa Rosa, NM back to Iowa. I'll give some more specifics after I sort through everything.

Thanks to everyone for their input and insight! It proved very helpful and reassuring during the ride.
Great job Lew! How was the road conditions? I leave Wednesday morning from San Diego for a 100CCC.

Scott

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great job Lew! How was the road conditions? I leave Wednesday morning from San Diego for a 100CCC.

Scott
I didn't have any issues to speak of Scott. Some construction near JAX Bch, but really only rough surface. I went straight through Houston around 14:30 with no issues. I went through San Antonio at rush with only minor slowing.

I found no fuel at exit 217 in FL. Google showed 2 stations. One station was gone (flattened) and one was closed with pumps not taking my card. This was around 4:48am, before they opened.

Other than that, everything went pretty well. Just 44.4 hours. This includes an 8hr stop to nap in Van Horn. I wasn't trying to set any roads on fire, but I like to keep the cushion as thick as possible. The JAX to Van Horn BBG was 22.8 hr, so the second leg into SDO wasn't too rough.

I'll tell you, the hardest part of the trip were the mountains in and out of SDO. The ceiling was low so there was rain and thick fog (clouds). I was very glad I didn't do that leg in the dark! I'm sure the weather has already changed, and hopefully for the better.

I posted it earlier, but here is the spot again: https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=135df58b0670dbfa0c&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Someone recommended the loop around El Paso. That seemed to work well, but I don't know how the other route would have gone, as I haven't tried it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best of luck!

PS. Are you sharing your SPOT or anything?

CongratZ BigLew55 :)
I'm about to head out on or around June 6st. I'll be starting in Key West and doing the 4 Corners ride. Going through JAX to start the BBG and 50CC and ending in San Ysidro. Then the plan is to head north and cross over to Vancouver and do the Trans Canada ride to Halifax. Going to be a crazy 21 one day ride!!
Question for you:
Can you provide links to where you purchased these?
"I have ordered the specimen bottles for the beach samples, and also a small clipboard for the receipt pics with the odometer."
And maybe I missed it, but what time did you leave JAX?

Thank you for your post!! Makes me feel a lot better and I know I can do it!
Cheers!
Gary
Tampa, FL
IBA# 60681

Last edited:
Gary RGs15 - according to Spotwalla / Bubbler / Gas Receipt - he left at 02:22 hours.

Lew,
No fuel at Exit 217?
I checked my Garmin Basecamp running City Navigator North America NT 2018.1 and it shows a BP and a Shell Station 2/10's of a mile S of I-10.
When I looked at the stations on Google Earth, they look to be in business, but who knows how old that video footage is??

Are these the fuel stations you had planned on stopping at?

BTW - Jax to Van Horn? Don't know for sure but guessing that's around 1500 miles. Yeah that's quite a day's work...

Last edited:

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gary RGs15 - according to Spotwalla / Bubbler / Gas Receipt - he left at 02:22 hours.
That is the time I jumped on the clock.

Lew,
No fuel at Exit 217?
I checked my Garmin Basecamp running City Navigator North America NT 2018.1 and it shows a BP and a Shell Station 2/10's of a mile S of I-10.
When I looked at the stations on Google Earth, they look to be in business, but who knows how old that video footage is??

Are these the fuel stations you had planned on stopping at?...
Yes, the BP @ 217 was my planned stop, and is currently a sand lot. The Shell was there, but not open, and the pumps wouldn't take my card. I suspect they would be fine during normal business hours. I had researched using CNNA and Google as well.

Traveling West one exit got me back on track.

BTW - Jax to Van Horn? Don't know for sure but guessing that's around 1500 miles. Yeah that's quite a day's work...
It wasn't my first BBG1500, but they sure make for a loonnggg day!

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
CongratZ BigLew55 :)
I'm about to head out on or around June 6st. I'll be starting in Key West and doing the 4 Corners ride. Going through JAX to start the BBG and 50CC and ending in San Ysidro. Then the plan is to head north and cross over to Vancouver and do the Trans Canada ride to Halifax. Going to be a crazy 21 one day ride!!
Question for you:
Can you provide links to where you purchased these?
"I have ordered the specimen bottles for the beach samples, and also a small clipboard for the receipt pics with the odometer."
And maybe I missed it, but what time did you leave JAX?

Thank you for your post!! Makes me feel a lot better and I know I can do it!
Cheers!
Gary
Tampa, FL
IBA# 60681
Good luck on your ride. Here are the amazon links for the products I used:

Small Clipboard worked great!
https://www.amazon.com/JAM-Paper-Pl...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D0QK53AK2BA4BAMSQ6H0

Specimen cups: I would recommend an alternative. I had San Diego seawater in the saddlebag on the way home and basically have wet sand from the west coast now.
https://www.amazon.com/Sterile-Spec...ncoding=UTF8&refRID=D0QK53AK2BA4BAMSQ6H0&th=1

Thanks Lew,
I have made it a point on previous LD rides to look at all fuel stops using Google Earth - and usually verify by phone call that the place is operational and hours of operation.
I would have never guessed by Google Earth that the BP was no longer there!!!!

That may be somewhat of an overkill, but as everyone knows, to complete these rides means staying on the motorcycle.

Glad you had some luck and didn't have to waste time looking for a fuel stop.
Great job my man!!

Mike