Din Hell-a Help!

Last year on the RBLR1000 I ran a usb - to - micro-usb cable from my tank bag (has power) to my headset to keep my bluetooth headset piece charged. It worked just fine but was a little bit annoying having to stick the usb cable up my jacket into he helmet to avoid it flapping around etc. At filling up time I had to unplug said cable from headset or tank bag too. So this year I'm looking to buy a din/hella - to - micro-usb lead. The IBA riders website has a photo on its front page of the kind of thing I'm looking for however, in the UK I've found two possible options (one from the USA!) at £40 and one at £21. Both are sold by BuyBits:

Here's the £21 - http://buybits.com/adjustable-hella...ghter-plug-to-microusb-charger-sku-10203.html

Her's the £40 - http://buybits.com/powerlet-ppc-027...dard-powerlet-socket-motorcycle-sku-8668.html

From what I can tell (I'm not in anyway 'electrical') the USA one at £40 has an in-line fuse/voltage 'thing' and the £21 one does not.

Q. Is it necessary to pay for £40 to get the fuse or can I survive without and still not risk damaging my headset or bike's electrical systems?

Sorry that was long-winded......

If you're reluctant to use power leads plugged into bike an alternative is a power bank like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poweradd-Pilot-X7-Universal-Red-Black/dp/B00XVTJKCQ
Its cheaper and might fit in an inside pocket but you would probably have to charge up each night.
Thanks Aitch - never though of that - I actually own one! It was more a case of convenience with the cable rather than a reluctance to use one. My K1300 has a Din socket (really well placed!) on the bottom left hand side of the fairing under where my knee sits. Anyway, I like the idea - thanks.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
What Aitch said; when I've needed to do this I've put a power bank in a jacket pocket and run a lead to the intercom.

My R1100RT had a DIN socket in the fairing to the left of the clocks; I also fitted a 'proper' cigarette socket in the glovebox, taken from a permanent live feed. Why BMW persist with DIN sockets is beyond me; on the recent RTE, someone reckoned that it's so they can make money selling DIN converters! On the R1200RS the socket is on an external panel on the right side, below the seat; I've disconnected it and wired a cigarette socket that's loose under the seat. I can charge my phone or a power bank from that, putting them under the seat when I'm riding.

Regards,
Martin

What Aitch said; when I've needed to do this I've put a power bank in a jacket pocket and run a lead to the intercom.

My R1100RT had a DIN socket in the fairing to the left of the clocks; I also fitted a 'proper' cigarette socket in the glovebox, taken from a permanent live feed. Why BMW persist with DIN sockets is beyond me; on the recent RTE, someone reckoned that it's so they can make money selling DIN converters! On the R1200RS the socket is on an external panel on the right side, below the seat; I've disconnected it and wired a cigarette socket that's loose under the seat. I can charge my phone or a power bank from that, putting them under the seat when I'm riding.

Regards,
Martin
Thanks Martin - yes, BMW's methodology seems dated given the plethora of more sensible charging options. I have a plan to put a socket at the back of the bike for pillion use but as I'm dreaming of changing to an RT next Spring I'm avoiding permanent changes to the bike. That said, I like the idea of the under-seat option - many thanks.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I find the DIN plugs/sockets are a much more positive and reliable connection. The standard UK type 12v power plugs/sockets can sometimes be a bit loose and wobbly if you know what I mean. As far as helmet headsets are concerned this is one of the reasons I splashed out on a Cardo Sho-1 for my Neotec. The main reason was it has a separate battery so you can carry a spare then swap them over when one runs out then charge it inside a tank bag or top box using a power socket or battery pack.