Question for Ira

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
OK, So I know a Rider has to have an IBA number to do an Extreme, or Gold Ride. So, I would think a passenger would also need an IBA number to do an Extreme or Gold Ride.

But what about for a Passenger for a ride over 50 hours, such as the SS3K ( <72 hours ) ? There is a SS3K Gold ( < 54 hours ), so apparently the "regular" SS3K is not a Gold Ride for sure, but it is a Ride over 50 hours.

Can a Passenger w/o an IBA participate in the SS3K ( < 72 hour ) ride ??

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
OK, So I know a Rider has to have an IBA number to do an Extreme, or Gold Ride. So, I would think a passenger would also need an IBA number to do an Extreme or Gold Ride.

But what about for a Passenger for a ride over 50 hours, such as the SS3K ( <72 hours ) ? There is a SS3K Gold ( < 54 hours ), so apparently the "regular" SS3K is not a Gold Ride for sure, but it is a Ride over 50 hours.

Can a Passenger w/o an IBA participate in the SS3K ( < 72 hour ) ride ??
The short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: One needs to look at the reason we require one to complete a prerequisite Saddlesore 1000 or Bun Burner 1500 prior to attempting a GOLD or extreme ride. And that is, too many folks were attempting very difficult rides as their first IBA certificate rides and ended up biting off more than they could chew. The smarter ones realized this at the time and aborted the attempt (in many cases, successfully completing a Saddlesore instead, so all was not in vain). But riding beyond one's capability or outside one's comfort zone is also a recipe for disaster. The IBA is dedicated to safe long-distance riding. We believe that one who completes a Saddlesore 1000 or Bun Burner 1500 will at least have an idea of what a tougher ride, such as the Bun Burner GOLD, will take, thus increasing the safety factor and reducing the failure rate.

This is the rationale for requiring the driver to complete a prerequisite ride. A passenger is a different matter and does not present the same safety concerns as the rider. For that reason, we would allow a passenger to proceed on a GOLD or extreme ride without first completing a prerequisite ride. Note that, in such cases, the rider may get quite an earful from the passenger, both during and after the ride. So one is wise to select one's passenger carefully. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Thanks, Ira. That's good news. BTW, I told the Rider that asked me that question that if he and his passenger do the Great Lakes SS3K route, but it takes them longer than 72 hours, but less than 100 hours, they will both qualify for a Great Lakes 100 certificate.

Texas Tom

Premier Member
Ira:

Within the Ride list for "Billfish to Orca GOLD" I found the following and am looking for clarification. One location states GOLD is >60 hours and the other states GOLD is >72 hours.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira:

Within the Ride list for "Billfish to Orca GOLD" I found the following and am looking for clarification. One location states GOLD is >60 hours and the other states GOLD is >72 hours.
Gold is 60 hours or less, the standard ride is 84 hours or less.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association