Feedback on possible SS1000 Route

Hi all,

I've been seriously considering doing an SS1000 for a couple years now and have decided to ride one this year. I've put together a potential route and was hoping to elicit some feedback as to if I would have any issues with it. It's not a true "out and back", but follows the same route on both outbound and return with a couple changes in direction with overall mileage approximately 1,066 miles according to Google. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1clmBJfd1gOvKNn3CmKMwFiX1KhI&usp=sharing

Attachments

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
Hi all,

I've been seriously considering doing an SS1000 for a couple years now and have decided to ride one this year. I've put together a potential route and was hoping to elicit some feedback as to if I would have any issues with it. It's not a true "out and back", but follows the same route on both outbound and return with a couple changes in direction with overall mileage approximately 1,066 miles according to Google. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1clmBJfd1gOvKNn3CmKMwFiX1KhI&usp=sharing
Your link can't open (in MY chrome browser)

igneouss

Premier Member
Based on my experience (I'm a rooky by IBA standards) that looks very doable. Make sure you get a dated business receipt at each "corner", you won't get certified without those critical receipts. Although I think you will be ok either way, consider planning so you pass near Boston during off-peak hours.

QUOTE="Amnon Romano, post: 20453, member: 39"]Your link can't open (in MY chrome browser)[/QUOTE]
Not sure why it wouldn't open. Must be my firefox.

Thanks for the input igneouss. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook anything. That's a long way to go for naught. I've got my gas stations scoped out in the "corners" and have traveled much of the route with exception of northern section of Maine. Should be a scenic ride.

Bntyhntr6975

Premier Member
I got it open thru Maps (on phone). Looks like it'll be very scenic. Having never been in the NE part of the country, I cant give any insight for the traffic and stuff. But wish you the best.
Dot the 'i's and cross the 't's and you should be fine.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Looks like a good route. As already advised - make sure to get good dated business receipts for all stops. If you do not have a Spot tracker - I highly recommend downloading Bubbler Pro GPS to your phone (approximately $10 dollars) and create a free Spotwalla account to link with Bubbler. This will provide another mechanism to document your trip and makes it a little easier on the certification team. Looking forward to hearing how it goes afterwards....and remember the two most important rules with long distance riding: 1) get home safely; and 2) have fun! :)

Scott

Looks like a good route. As already advised - make sure to get good dated business receipts for all stops. If you do not have a Spot tracker - I highly recommend downloading Bubbler Pro GPS to your phone (approximately $10 dollars) and create a free Spotwalla account to link with Bubbler. This will provide another mechanism to document your trip and makes it a little easier on the certification team. Looking forward to hearing how it goes afterwards....and remember the two most important rules with long distance riding: 1) get home safely; and 2) have fun! :)

Scott
Thanks Scott. I've been using Spotwalla for a couple years just for fun and can see the value of it in helping to document the ride. Hoping to make the ride early part of next week weather permitting. Want to take advantage of the long daylight hours.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Depending on time of Say for the Boston Traffic you could consider taking 1o1 between 93 and 95 and add some mileage back on the northern end of 95 you wouldn't necessarily have to do it on both legs as you probably wouldn't be in traffic on both legs.

PS and watch out that Crown Point Bridge Traffic heard it can be wicked :)

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Same as Scott said - you need a time and date ( and location ) receipt for ALL stops, not just the corners.

Friendly suggestion - End the ride ASAP. Take short stops, and no long sit down lunch or dinner. Try to finish before you get tired. It took me a few rides to learn this.

Same as Scott said - you need a time and date ( and location ) receipt for ALL stops, not just the corners.

Friendly suggestion - End the ride ASAP. Take short stops, and no long sit down lunch or dinner. Try to finish before you get tired. It took me a few rides to learn this.
Good advice here...

If you stop at a rest area to use the facilities or just regroup, log that stop as well. (I try to do this at a gas station and combine it all in one stop with a receipt)
At a rest area, you won't be able to get a time stamped receipt, but log the odometer mileage, location and the amount of time you spent there and indicate the location of the stop on the map you send for certification. You want to account for all the time spent on the ride and where any and all stops were made.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Good advice here...

If you stop at a rest area to use the facilities or just regroup, log that stop as well. (I try to do this at a gas station and combine it all in one stop with a receipt)
At a rest area, you won't be able to get a time stamped receipt, but log the odometer mileage, location and the amount of time you spent there and indicate the location of the stop on the map you send for certification. You want to account for all the time spent on the ride and where any and all stops were made.
Just to be clear, the rules state, in part, "In order for the verification team to account for your time, a log entry must be made at each stop longer than 30 minutes (for example you decide to stop at a roadside rest stop for a nap or get a motel room during the ride)." But there's nothing wrong in logging all stops.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Just to be clear, the rules state, in part, "In order for the verification team to account for your time, a log entry must be made at each stop longer than 30 minutes (for example you decide to stop at a roadside rest stop for a nap or get a motel room during the ride)." But there's nothing wrong in logging all stops.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
What Ira said... LOL!
I'm OCD on this stuff...

Thanks for all the valuable tips. Will definately heed the advice. Another question: Rules say "... obtain an eyewitness to document the start of your ride." However, I printed out the verification document and it lists spots for 2 witnesses. Ditto for the end eyewitness. Do I need 2 eyewitnesses or is that just for "gold" and "insanity" levels? Also, and this may be a stupid question, what exactly are your witnesses attesting too? Are they verifying time, odometer mileage, etc.?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Another question: Rules say "... obtain an eyewitness to document the start of your ride." However, I printed out the verification document and it lists spots for 2 witnesses. Ditto for the end eyewitness. Do I need 2 eyewitnesses or is that just for "gold" and "insanity" levels? Also, and this may be a stupid question, what exactly are your witnesses attesting too? Are they verifying time, odometer mileage, etc.?
You only need one start and one end witness for the Saddlesore 1000. As you surmised, the form is set up to accomodate rides requiring two witnesses.

They are attesting to the date, time, location, odo reading, and the fact that you are riding and not in a car. Having a real human in the loop adds to the total documentation process.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

You only need one start and one end witness for the Saddlesore 1000. As you surmised, the form is set up to accomodate rides requiring two witnesses.

They are attesting to the date, time, location, odo reading, and the fact that you are riding and not in a car. Having a real human in the loop adds to the total documentation process.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks for the clarification and quick response Ira.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
What Ira said... LOL!
I'm OCD on this stuff...
Agreed!

Getting into that habit of logging all time spent not moving gives you the ability of learning (as you do more of these rides...) about improving time management on longer, tougher rides.

I've been freely given many worthy pieces of LD wisdom; by far, this is one of the better ones for a first-time rider.

Good luck @ADKWingman on your attempt!

I spend as little time as possible dealing with the log during the ride. I jot down what needs to be, usually not legible to anyone else. Lol. Afterwards, I'll copy it over to a new page, making it readable. But being off the clock, you have plenty of time to get the paperwork in a nice, neat order. It may only save a minute or 2 here and there, but they can add up.

RichmonS

Premier Member
I did the same thing as @Bntyhntr6975 on my SS1K. I brought the end witness form and just used a notebook that I logged my chicken scratch with. After I was done with the ride I transferred my notebook ramblings into a readable log that was submitted with the witness forms and other paperwork.

The key to the stops is fast and using your shorthand or handwriting is another way to not be stressed over details during the ride.