Heaven to Hell & Heaven to Hell Gold

Rony6ble

Premier Member
I'm planning to attend the 2017 Tour of Honor banquet in Cripple Creek, CO mid September and this would be the perfect location to do one of the Heaven to Hell rides. Following the name of the ride it seams that the ride needs to start in Colorado and this is my first question:

Heaven to Hell Qs (CA to CO):
  1. Can I do this the other way -backwards*: Hell to Heaven- starting in Death Valley?
  2. Is SPOT enough or do I need the gas station receipt at Furnace Creek or the park fee machine?
  3. Google shows a distance of 949 miles to Pikes Peak and only 899 miles to Mount Evans, I'm assuming I should take the Pikes Peak option and extend the ride somewhere to be over 1,000 miles?

Heaven to Hell Gold Qs (CO to CA):
  1. Using -if backwards is OK- Pikes Peak the first time, I think Mount Evans would be the starting point of the H2HG on my way back home to Arizona. Same questions about end point: SPOT, receipt?
  2. Will be the end point the Furnace Creek gas station or a SPOT + Photo in Badwater?
  3. I'm assuming a gas receipt is required in Aspen, CO
Of course there is the option to pick another route to get to Cripple Creek, CO probably following TOH sites in New Mexico, Kansas (KS6 - my sponsor State) and Colorado and only do the H2HG from Mount Evans since Pikes Peak is really close to Cripple Creek.

Thanks, Alex

* IronButt Magazine Spring 2014 p.42-43

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Alex,
Based on my read of the rules, the ride can be completed going either way. The caution is Evans or Piles Peak could be closed unexpectedly for weather leaving you unable to complete the ride. However, I'm in a similar situation where I plan to do this ride at the end of summer most likely starting in Badlands. While I know weather can change quickly; but since we are looking at only a 24 hour window - I am willing to risk it. Worst case scenario, Evans and Pike are closed when I get there - I just wait for reopen and reverse my direction since it is the way home and complete the one ride versus a separate SS. Thanks for asking the questions. I will be watching this thread.
Scott

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Alex,
... The caution is Evans or Piles Peak could be closed unexpectedly for weather leaving you unable to complete the ride. However, I'm in a similar situation ... ride at the end of summer most likely starting in Badlands... Worst case scenario, Evans and Pike are closed when I get there - I just wait for reopen and reverse my direction ...
Scott
Scott, after debating with my self I have decided to do the following:
  1. Collect TOH site on my way to the banquet along NM, KS and CO, visit some National Parks and add some of the Arizona and/or New Mexico State Routes (AZ61, NM63). Current route 07/22/17 does not show this but the beauty of Google My Maps is that the same link will work after any changes.
  2. Ride from Mount Evans to Badwater through Independence Pass and Ely to try the Heaven to Hell Gold

Map link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wA4IOgmrYGbDg-w8hD6owaoLJ3I&usp=sharing

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Sounds like a good plan. I was discussing this with my wife during our final practice ride today as we prepare for the How the West Was Won Rally in Colorado; and she informed me of two things: first - make the outward bound for Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak a SS - that way I have a better chance of certifying both rides; and second - she is coming with me. :)

Scott

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Sounds like a good plan. I was discussing this with my wife during our final practice ride today as we prepare for the How the West Was Won Rally in Colorado; and she informed me of two things: first - make the outward bound for Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak a SS - that way I have a better chance of certifying both rides; and second - she is coming with me. :)

Scott
Scott, you will not regret the HW3, I had lots of fun in 2016, it was my first rally (14 out of 50+) and family trip will have me going out of the country during the rally. I was able to do three rides, A SS1K on my way to Grand Junction via Las Vegas and Utah. A Bun Burner during the rally. A SS1K on my way back via US50 - Monarch Pass (part of the Continental Divide at 11,312') and New Mexico.
What a blessing that your wife will be with you, enjoy the riding.
Alex