Getting ready for my first BBG!

Mark Owen

Premier Member
I've done several SS 1000's. Only bothered to certify one. But now I've got the itch to step it up. So any tips would be appreciated.

I'm riding from Las Vegas to Ashland, MO. 1,504o-1,523 depending on your route. Route is probably going to be I40-54-I70. I'll probably have to overshoot my destination a bit and double back to get the actual 1,500 because that is the "shortest" route. But the more Southern route that goes North through Lake of the Ozarks goes through a lot of touristy areas, and the speed limit is 55 at most, IIRC. And going through there on a Friday doesn't seem wise. Even if I have to double back on the freeway to get those last 20 or so miles, the only time I'm off the interstate is during the night portion of the ride. And that seems prudent.

I'm pretty sure I've got the fuel stop, food (Clif bars), documentation things together.

Any tips from you BBG vets out there? Thanks in advance.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
For a BBG - it is all about minimizing stop time. I generally plan 15 minutes for all fuel stops (sounds like a lot) because I count the entire time from exit to on-ramp; not just time at the pump. Keeping to major interstates is almost a must to maintain the highest average mph without exceeding the speed limit. Good luck - be sure to post a report under the ride report section afterwards.

Scott

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Don't be too afraid of "breaking up" stop tasks. Example: Get that fuel stop at a location away from a metropolitan area, but only get fuel.

When you need a bio-break, see if it's feasible to do it an hour or so later at like a roadside rest area.

I had slightly over an hour of stopped time on the run I did that I had a functional GPS - 100% Interstate - as a reference point.

Good luck!!

RichmonS

Premier Member
Good luck on your ride. I will do mine attempt on 7/30.

I would just recommend that prior to starting you make sure you have the planned gas stops and know if they are 24 hours (or the pumps left on). My attempt will be on interstate the whole way and my plan is for truck stops so I have flexibility on when I start. I can also be safe to complete the BBG as a silver or normal BunBurner if the stars and my body do not align for the Gold.

Bntyhntr6975

Premier Member
54 from Tucumcari? 54 is riddled with small towns and most of it is 2 lane. It'll take 1 tractor (its that time of year...) to put a major damper in the plans.

If you end up considering staying on 40 to OKC then N on 35 to 70, keep in mind there is quite abit of construction (including lane closures) on 35 in OK. I was just there today.

Last edited:

Mark Owen

Premier Member
54 from Tucumcari? 54 is riddled with small towns and most of it is 2 lane. It'll take 1 tractor (its that time of year...) to put a major damper in the plans.

If you end up considering staying on 40 to OKC then N on 35 to 70, keep in mind there is quite abit of construction (including lane closures) on 35 in OK. I was just there today.
Actually, I think I've decided to just do the Northern route. I15 North to I70 and straight East until morning. I wanted to avoid the cold, mountains in the dark, and what I'm told is the start of moose mating season. But both the Southern routes have pretty large chunks that aren't interstate, construction in a lot of places, etc. Oddly enough, I've heard bad reports on 54 from a few people in the last 24 hours.

I think if I start a couple hours earlier, I can be out of the mountains and going through Denver at or shortly after nightfall. And it's interstate almost door to door. Practicality beckons.

Bntyhntr6975

Premier Member
Expect to lose some time going into Denver from the West. Can lose a little less if you want to pay the high rates on the Express lane. Very bad traffic flow in that area (hence why they put in the Express lane, which can average 45mph). 70 is pretty, but slower than youd think itd be.
Im assuming theres a reason you want to end in Ashland?

Mark Owen

Premier Member
Yes there are reasons for Ashland being the destination. Trying to make a BBG out of it. No problem paying the rates for the express lane. How much does it cost? And where does it start/end?

I'm planning on passing through Denver around 8-9pm. Would it be worth it to take 470 around Denver instead? I might lose a few miles by doing it, but if it saves me 20 miles of stop and go traffic?

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

Bntyhntr6975

Premier Member
Routing for a particular end spot makes things difficult, I know how that is.

Cant recall the (variable) rates for that Express lane. You can google it tho. Pricey at peak times but may help. Problem isnt getting THROUGH Denver, its just getting to it.
Routing up to SLC (I-80) to Julesburg, Co, down to Burlington, Co, then E on 70 would add 200mi to total run but would hit 1500 around Topeka, Ks. 22hrs google time for the Gold, but would have a ways to go to get to Ashland. Or could move the start to break up the off clock riding. Just ideas. Ive done most of that route and it worked out great (bypassing Denver and I-25 was a big plus!).

Mark Owen

Premier Member
Okay. Excellent points all.

I was not looking forward to the mountains at night. Cold, animals, dark. I like my mountains in the daytime so I can appreciate the scenery.

New route is I 40 East to Oklahoma, then I 44 East to Joplin, then I 49 North to Kansas City, then I 70 East to Ashland. We'll hit the 1,500 mile mark about 70 miles from our final destination, but it's Interstate the WHOLE way. It's the Southern route so the weather will be far more temperate as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds good. OK toll roads are a PITA with several booths and baskets along the way but its welcomed to put your feet down now and then. Chances are good there will be a few (hopefully minor) construction zones but its summer and really hard to avoid. Check ahead of time so you'll be prepared. Kansas City usually has a few projects going on. Plenty of fuel stops available too. Watch your time and dont get behind the clock and you'll be fine. Good luck!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks, man. I appreciate all the input. There are a few construction zones, but I'm trying to time it all out so that we go through the ones that are there at non-peak hours.
Sometimes, there's the inevitable evening/night-time road construction issues as well...

Research carefully before committing to your route choice.

Luck to ya!

RichmonS

Premier Member
Well, less than 48 hours before launch. I have gone back over my bike and all that is left is the packing today and then I head down to Brunswick tomorrow for my attempt on Sunday.

The big change from my SS1K to now is a throttle-lock and I upgraded my headlights to the Cyclops LED. The OEM lights at night on the rural interstates was darker than I would have liked.

RichmonS

Premier Member
I am ready for tomorrow. I doubt I will sleep much and I am not going to set an alarm. I will go when my body gets up which will probably be ~5am.