Biarritz

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Anyone fancy 2/3/4 day gentle ride down to Biarritz & back for a little camping, beer drinking, swanning about before it turns to wintry? I can't be arsed to do it alone but I feel like a trip.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Winglider and I shall be catching the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe next Wednesday if anyone fancies joing us.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
2300 sailing from Newhaven Wednesday night. Back at Newhaven 0400 Sunday.

Staying at Premiere Classe, Biarritz

Last edited:

orestesdjc

Premier Member
I'll think it over during the next few days. It also depends on my son as he may want to something for my birthday. No longer camping?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Camping? You need to bear in mind that we're quite old now and, while the mind still looks forward to barbecues on the beach surrounded by bikini-clad lovelies followed by being lulled to sleep by the rhythmic pounding of the waves and starting the new day with a refreshing dip in the ocean, the body is less able to absorb such abuse these days. On the other hand Premiere Classe is pretty much the equivalent of indoor camping and represents a major compromise with Steve's initial insistence on staying at the 5 star Hotel du Palais (£369 per night, each).
We will be "roughing it" by sleeping upright on the two overnight crossings though.

orestesdjc

Premier Member
Only refering to your first post. As it happens I'll not be able to make as my son has bought tickets for the american football @ Wembley so I'll be spending the weekend with him.

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
I quite like "barbecues on the beach surrounded by bikini-clad lovelies followed by being lulled to sleep by the rhythmic pounding."
I don't even mind starting a new day with a refreshing dip in the ocean, as long as it's not too early.
But sleeping on the ground NO WAY :):)

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I offer this excursion as the model for a new class of IBA events.

Steve and I live a mere 60 miles apart and Dieppe to Biarritz is only 550 miles so we met at Newhaven then rode together, avoiding toll roads, all the way in both directions having shared a hotel room and much sustenance on our day out in Biarritz. This is quite different to the more common IBA approach of riding alone and only meeting up for supper and requires a more collaborative approach to riding (and booze). The lazy ride from Dieppe down took 15.5 hours, the reverse took 12 hours and would have been quite challenging for non-IBA riders. (I find that only IBA riders use the word 'only' when describing a 550+ mile day, others ask how many days we'll need)

We thoroughly enjoyed the riding and the day being hoodlums on the beach but I almost certainly wouldn't have bothered to do it on my own, the company makes the difference.

So if anyone fancies a mini-trip, in this country or Europe, and there isn't already a handy IBA event to tag on to, why not just post a notice in this forum and see if someone will help you with it. Spontaneity is key - no more than 10 days notice, no more than 3-4 days away. If you insist on staying in 5star hotels, you may well be on your own but that might also apply if you want to camp on Scafell Pike in February.

Winglider

Ex-Wiinglider
IBA Member
Or any where come to that if i am involved :p:p:p

I have found out we did have another Iron Butt rider come to meet us but by the time he got there we were already home :oops:
Its not that he is a slow rider ( i know he's not) or was on a flower sniffing route. I think he just left to late :eek:
I hope you had a good ride JB:):).

PS It was a GREAT day in Biarritz, cheers Bob.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
What a good idea this was Bob. If only I read the forum more regularly.

I will try harder in future.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave