SS3000 Question.

I am contemplating doing an SS 3000, but I want to make sure that I get the rules correct. I know that I have 72 hours from start to finish. No problem with that.

My question is (sort of) about "nesting" but not really. Let's say I start at 0600. I have until 0600 the next day to complete the first 1000 IF I want to get credit for an ss1K. Do I have to start the second leg (another ss1K) precisely at 0600, or could I wait until 0700/0800 IF I was to log another ss1K? Then repeat that for the third day? In other words, as long as I finish 3000 miles in less than 72 hours, is there any latitude in the start/finish time for individual ss1K rides within that 72 hours? Or, does the time for the next SS1K begin at the time that the previous SS1K finishes?

I am trying to figure out the timing for the "rest breaks" that I am pretty sure I will need!

Thanks!

Jim

Kylearane

Premier Member
If I'm understanding your question properly I think the issue lies with whether or not you can nest an SS1K inside of an SS3K. The rules state that if the nested ride by definition is completed within the longer, then only one certificate is issued. Off the top of my head I'm not sure you could do an SS3K without completing as least one SS1K.

That's not really what I am asking. My goal is to get the 3000, but on the off-chance that I have to bail out, I am trying to figure out timing issues. I had read somewhere (I can't find it now) that the timing for the subsequent legs had to start at similar times to the first DBR.

Kylearane

Premier Member
Got it. If you have to bail out of the 3000, you may still have completed a SS2000 (2000 miles in less than 48 hours). From the ride page for the Saddlesore series:

You have several options to bail out on these rides. The documents needed are the same as a SaddleSore 1000 so if you cannot complete, say, the SaddleSore 3000, you may still have successfully completed the SaddleSore 2000.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I am contemplating doing an SS 3000, but I want to make sure that I get the rules correct. I know that I have 72 hours from start to finish. No problem with that.

My question is (sort of) about "nesting" but not really. Let's say I start at 0600. I have until 0600 the next day to complete the first 1000 IF I want to get credit for an ss1K. Do I have to start the second leg (another ss1K) precisely at 0600, or could I wait until 0700/0800 IF I was to log another ss1K? Then repeat that for the third day? In other words, as long as I finish 3000 miles in less than 72 hours, is there any latitude in the start/finish time for individual ss1K rides within that 72 hours? Or, does the time for the next SS1K begin at the time that the previous SS1K finishes?

I am trying to figure out the timing for the "rest breaks" that I am pretty sure I will need!

Thanks!

Jim
You have 72 hours to complete the Saddlesore 3000. How you use that time is up to you.

In order to complete a Saddlesore 3000, one would necessarily need to complete at least one Saddlesore 1000. So we wouldn't issue both certificates. On the other hand, one could complete a Saddlesore 3000 without necessarily completing a Saddlesore 2000. So we could issue both of those certificates on the same ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's not really what I am asking. My goal is to get the 3000, but on the off-chance that I have to bail out, I am trying to figure out timing issues. I had read somewhere (I can't find it now) that the timing for the subsequent legs had to start at similar times to the first DBR.
If you bail on a SS3K you can submit for a different ride as long as you have the documentation to prove it. Conceivably you could bail on the SS3K, take a break, and then complete a SS4 or 5K

And for a SS3K there is only 1 "leg" as you can do the ride any way you want, 3K non stop, stop every 24 hrs, etc.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
What Ira describes is exactly how I did a SS4000 ride last year as part of a 48/10 ride.

It was on day 2 that I didn't have over 2000 miles at the end of the riding day. Since my intermediate goal for that ride was 4 days, 4000+ miles, I was okay.

Good luck to ya on your ride attempt!

I have made two errors here. The first was thinking that an SS3000 was a "Back-to-back" ride. The second was that I interpreted the rules for a BBG3000 as if they were the same for an SS3000. I have found the passage from the rules that has confused me. Under the "BBG3000" listing the rules state:

1. Each leg of a back-to-back series must be completed start to finish in the time allowed for a single leg, AND all legs of a back-to-back series must be completed start to finish in less than the total time calculated by adding the time allowed for each independent leg in the series. The term "leg" refers to the individual rides of a back-to-back series.

2. Time left over from a previous leg in a back-to-back series may not be used to lengthen the time allowed for successive legs in the series. The clock for consecutive legs in a back-to-back series must be started exactly on or before the maximum time has expired for the previous leg in the back-to-back series.

"Under rule 2 there are two options for handling the midpoint between consecutive legs. In one case a rider may use the ending time of the first leg as the starting time of the second leg. A rider who chooses this option will be sacrificing any remaining time of the first leg. This valuable time could have been used for much needed rest."

"The suggested method of handling the midpoint between consecutive legs is to use any remaining time on the first leg for rest. A rider may even rest beyond the maximum time allowed for the first leg. Remember, the TOTAL ride must be completed in no more than the total time calculated by adding the time allowed for each independent leg in the series."

My confusion comes from Rule 2, where it states that each leg "must be started exactly on or before the maximum time has expired for the previous leg in the back-to-back series." But then it also states that "The suggested method of handling the midpoint between consecutive legs is to use any remaining time on the first leg for rest. A rider may even rest beyond the maximum time allowed for the first leg." It seems that these two statements contradict each other.

My plan is to ride an SS1K in approximately 17 hours and then rest for 6-7 hours, repeat that on day 2, and then evaluate if I want/need more rest before beginning day 3. Regardless, all 3 legs will be finished within 72 hours.

Sorry for all the confusion. I was not planning to "nest" any rides, except for a Tour of Honor' SS1K on day 1.

Jim

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I have made two errors here. The first was thinking that an SS3000 was a "Back-to-back" ride. The second was that I interpreted the rules for a BBG3000 as if they were the same for an SS3000. I have found the passage from the rules that has confused me. Under the "BBG3000" listing the rules state:

1. Each leg of a back-to-back series must be completed start to finish in the time allowed for a single leg, AND all legs of a back-to-back series must be completed start to finish in less than the total time calculated by adding the time allowed for each independent leg in the series. The term "leg" refers to the individual rides of a back-to-back series.

2. Time left over from a previous leg in a back-to-back series may not be used to lengthen the time allowed for successive legs in the series. The clock for consecutive legs in a back-to-back series must be started exactly on or before the maximum time has expired for the previous leg in the back-to-back series.

"Under rule 2 there are two options for handling the midpoint between consecutive legs. In one case a rider may use the ending time of the first leg as the starting time of the second leg. A rider who chooses this option will be sacrificing any remaining time of the first leg. This valuable time could have been used for much needed rest."

"The suggested method of handling the midpoint between consecutive legs is to use any remaining time on the first leg for rest. A rider may even rest beyond the maximum time allowed for the first leg. Remember, the TOTAL ride must be completed in no more than the total time calculated by adding the time allowed for each independent leg in the series."

My confusion comes from Rule 2, where it states that each leg "must be started exactly on or before the maximum time has expired for the previous leg in the back-to-back series." But then it also states that "The suggested method of handling the midpoint between consecutive legs is to use any remaining time on the first leg for rest. A rider may even rest beyond the maximum time allowed for the first leg." It seems that these two statements contradict each other.

My plan is to ride an SS1K in approximately 17 hours and then rest for 6-7 hours, repeat that on day 2, and then evaluate if I want/need more rest before beginning day 3. Regardless, all 3 legs will be finished within 72 hours.

Sorry for all the confusion. I was not planning to "nest" any rides, except for a Tour of Honor' SS1K on day 1.

Jim
The two statements don't contradict each other.

It simply means that, at the latest, the second leg starts at the end of the time limit for the first leg. If one completes the first leg in, say, 20 hours, then one option is to use the remaining 4 hours in the first leg to rest. What is being pointed out is that one can take a longer rest break, say 5 hours. In that case, one has used the first hour of the second leg resting.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association