Coronavirus

What are you members doing about rides with this coronavirus thing. Any of you still doing certified rides? I was ready to do a ride when the county enacted gestapo tactics of stay at home and restricting travel. I am still tempted to at least do an instate SS1000 but not sure about fuel or some local LE demanding my papers.

Returning from Jacksonville between Shreveport and Dallas the car traffic was the lightest that I remember.

I'm just curious plus I am getting restless.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Being careful with riding, in general most places have a non essential travel ban at least in the NY tri-state area and in addition now is not a good time to risk an accident in an area with an over taxed hospital system.

As much as I want to do some long rides to replace the postponed rallies and clear my mind, personally I feel it would be a bit irresponsible.

So for me it's essential travel only on the bikes for now.

For those that are still banging out miles, be careful, especially touching fuel pumps and atm machines.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think you'll find that most of the world is in self-imposed lockdown, assisted in many cases by legislation mandating law enforcement to do the gestapo thing.

Rickr96

Premier Member
I think it’s an individual choice and right now, many are choosing to follow coronavirus protocols including staying home. Others are out riding and, hopefully, taking all precautions. I’m on the stay home side for now... but I have a 100 mile round trip “my garage to my garage“ route that has zero planned stops and zero planned contact with another human. After another week, or so, I may have to give that one a go.

Lisa

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It's really not all about 'no contact' but the fact that our hospitals are working on overload and don't need to see one more emergency case. Should you have an unplanned get off, you may well find yourself in the unenviable position of laying on a stretcher in a hospital hallway while you wait. And wait. You get the picture.

WY88

Premier Member
I did a Spring Equinox SS1K, my gas pump procedure added a minimum of 5 extra minutes at each stop, my bikes are parked now in accordance with the local (Wa) "lock down" order. Our area is pretty hard hit with this, my county has reported 1,828 cases and 125 deaths so far. (based on my weather channel app, local news is reporting higher numbers)

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I posted Mike's current thoughts (echoing Lisa and others) in another thread, but thought I'd also post them here as well.

Ira

----------begin Mike's comments-------------------

We understand no one wants to be told what to do, and even if you have the
argument that you will bring gloves for gas pumps and/or cleaner to
wipe them down and not interact with anyone, our friends in the
medical community are telling us (effectively), you do NOT want to be
in a hospital right now. While having an accident is probably
statistically not likely this is just when odd things happen. So I
did ask, while we are out there riding remotely, are rural hospitals
impacted? The overwhelming answers were mostly they funnel anything more
than a broken arm or leg to larger city-based hospitals which if not
already overrun are gearing up to deal with Covid-19 patients.

Reports from riders last week (before a lot of the business close
orders) are also saying that if you hit bad weather, there is nowhere
to shelter right now. Many states have closed Rest Stops (some
have opened them back up for truckers at least - but that still
leaves you out in the cold). Even truck stops are mostly closed for
any kind of sheltering and of course you can't legally ride in CA,
OR, WA, IL, OH and most of the Northeast and even more than we can
track right now. Many of our favorite stops for bathrooms have
closed them to the public, even normally dependable McDonald's have
closed many restrooms.

And finally, breaking down on the road is going to leave you stranded
as most motorcycle shops are closed starting today in most areas.

It is really time to hunker down and stay close to home and ride another day.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike is right. After reviewing the whole picture and talking to my wife, who works for a large medical company, reminding me that with facilities potentially being overloaded, a break down or emergency of any kind could present a serious problem. Plus very limited rest areas if any and no McDonald's pee stops.

As we all know problems seem to arise at the worst time. And who wants to be in a hospital with a lot of sick people.
I have plenty of work at home and maybe even a book or two to read.

We'll just have to burn up a few sets of tires as soon as things are better.

David Hay

Premier Member
I started the Pressed Penny Tour and NPT on May 31, 2019. I started in SD with a 50CC ride and then went to Maine, hitting as many locations as possible before returning home to Arizona. My goal was to finish up in April with a ride to s/e Washington, but as we all know, right now travel is just about out of the question. In addition, most park visitor centers are closed (I know a photo can be substituted) as are many businesses where the PP machines are located.

Has anyone heard any discussion about extending the 12 month finish period required for these two rides for folks like me who are in the middle of getting it done? I'm about 80% finished with the PPT, and though I have enough NP sites to qualify for the Master Traveler, I did that a few years ago, and this year I was trying to complete the 4 corners.

Thanks.

HACKLE

I'm sure that individual States in the US will all go into lock down very soon, if not already. Here in Australia we have all state borders already closed to travel apart from transport for essential requirements, food etc. Also the point made above re hospitalisation in the event of a collision is also a worry. It comes down to everyone doing their bit to stay safe and self isolate till this virus is sorted out.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I started the Pressed Penny Tour and NPT on May 31, 2019. I started in SD with a 50CC ride and then went to Maine, hitting as many locations as possible before returning home to Arizona. My goal was to finish up in April with a ride to s/e Washington, but as we all know, right now travel is just about out of the question. In addition, most park visitor centers are closed (I know a photo can be substituted) as are many businesses where the PP machines are located.

Has anyone heard any discussion about extending the 12 month finish period required for these two rides for folks like me who are in the middle of getting it done? I'm about 80% finished with the PPT, and though I have enough NP sites to qualify for the Master Traveler, I did that a few years ago, and this year I was trying to complete the 4 corners.

Thanks.
I brought this to Mike's attention. He asked me to post the following:

The National Park Tour, Pressed Penny Insanity, Lighthouse Insanity, 100,000 mile year, etc. We will extend those timelines as needed to complete the ride - right now that means we are blind to April 2020. For example, if you are pushing the one year NPT time line, we expect to add an extra month to the normal 12 month time line but to take advantage of that, STOP NOW, you can't go collect stamps/pennys/lighthouses now and add extra time on the back end to collect more - that is not the intent of this relief - the idea is stay close to home.

SILVER MILE EATERS going for the one ride per month model and those setting records over several years for consecutive ride months: from what we have seen, all of you have a March ride on the books, if you could not get a March ride in, please reach out to us. For everyone else, April is an off-month and will NOT count against the 12 consecutive month limit, we will figure out how to adjust this when the time comes.

Mike

David Hay

Premier Member

The National Park Tour, Pressed Penny Insanity, Lighthouse Insanity, 100,000 mile year, etc. We will extend those timelines as needed to complete the ride - right now that means we are blind to April 2020. For example, if you are pushing the one year NPT time line, we expect to add an extra month to the normal 12 month time line but to take advantage of that, STOP NOW, you can't go collect stamps/pennys/lighthouses now and add extra time on the back end to collect more - that is not the intent of this relief - the idea is stay close to home.

SILVER MILE EATERS going for the one ride per month model and those setting records over several years for consecutive ride months: from what we have seen, all of you have a March ride on the books, if you could not get a March ride in, please reach out to us. For everyone else, April is an off-month and will NOT count against the 12 consecutive month limit, we will figure out how to adjust this when the time comes.

Mike

Mike
Thanks for looking into this. I got the premier member email a while ago. Hopefully, we'll all be back in business soon.
Dave

moose

Premier Member
Info from Premier News about Silver Mile Eater. If I do not drive every month but drive for a continuous year, will my / my runs during the month of April not count?
Best regards Dan

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Info from Premier News about Silver Mile Eater. If I do not drive every month but drive for a continuous year, will my / my runs during the month of April not count?
Best regards Dan
The announcement states, in part ". . .April is an off-month and will NOT count against the 12 consecutive month limit. We will figure out how to adjust this when the time comes."

What that means is we don't want to encourage riding while the world is encouraging folks to stay home. So yes, if you do a ride in April, it will not count towards the ME Silver.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

They are not coming up with anything soon to treat the virus. Things that have worked also have not worked so they are still trying for solutions that are consistent. The best thing they have now for patients in dire need is a blood transfusion from someone that has overcome the virus and has developed antibodies in their plasma. Tentatively they expect to get the vaccine out to essential candidates Fall of 2020, if everything goes well the vaccine might get out to the general public Summer of 2021. In the meantime as they lift closures that does not mean social distancing is over. Be smart practice good hygiene and distancing. Bare handshaking days are over, a good tip is to keep your motorcycle between you and who you are talking to, keep your gloves on pumping gas, clean your gloves with a sanitizer, wear a full face helmet with visor down. Ride Safe Stay Healthy and Pray for better Days.

Hospitals being "overloaded" is a very location dependent thing. The local hospital here is running at a census of 50% and is telling some staff to take vacation days or risk being sent home with a 25% reduction in pay, mgmt is taking a 10% pay cut for 90 days, and no payments into retirement funds for the rest of the year. They could use some business - I'm not suggesting motorcycle accidents are helpful or anything like that just that the idea of burdening hospitals right now is not the case save for a few hotspots.

I work for a medical imaging system company and I can tell you that most hospitals in the WV, OH, KY area are essentially empty. There are very hard times coming for them as their margins will not support this much time with dramatically reduced revenue.

to answer the question, I have been riding some locally but the problem is not much is open, gas stations are all open but not much else. the empty roads are really nice! For when this is over, I am planning a BB1500 to see my son and daughter in law in Denver with the idea of going to San Diego from there and doing at 50CC back to Jacksonville.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
God speed you don't find yourself in need of a hospital during your travels and that you do not pick up and bring the virus to a loved one or unknown innocent person with negative results to fill your own needs.

This is a virus and crisis of community, not self where one should be thinking of others and not ourselves.

Sorry of this is a strong message that some may not agree with, but family on the front lines of this thing I just cannot agree with selfish behavior at a time when all of us are sacrificing and living in one of those so called few areas where trucks are being loaded with body bags and where near 700!people a day are passing from this virus makes me sensitive.

Call me crazy.

Last edited: