Another nested ride question

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The basic rule is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue one certificate. So the question is: if you complete the I-10 E2E, have you also completed a C2C?

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Not sure. I think I10 east terminus ends 15 miles or so short of the ocean. I had always thought it was actually Jacksonville Beach, not Jacksonville where the DBR was collected for C2C ride.

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There are also many ways you could complete a 50CC along I10 without completing an I10 E2E, for example taking I12 around New Orleans. So I would say one is not contained in the other by definition so would be able to nest.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
But is the opposite also true? Can one complete an I-10 E2E without completing a 50CC? I believe the answer to that is no.

The basic I-10 E2E rules state the allotted time to be 48 hours. The required endpoints are Jacksonville, FL and Santa Monica, CA, both acceptable endpoints for a 50CC (with a time limit of 50 hours). So if one completes an I-10 E2E, one by definition has also completed a 50CC.

Ira

Last edited:

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I see what you are saying. I was under the mistaken impression that a 50cc ride starting or ending in Jacksonville would need to start/end near the coast, not just within the city limits. Makes sense.

Redwing56

Premier Member
Sorry I’m new but just trying to understand. I’m looking at a SS2000 in 48 hours but looking to hit the 1500 mile mark in 24 hours so I can earn the BBG1500. That’s legit, yes?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The basic rule for nested rides is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only issue one certificate. For example, everyone who has completed a Bun Burner GOLD (1,500 miles in 24 hours or less) has by definition also completed a Saddlesore 1000 (1,000 miles in 24 hours) as well as a Bun Burner 1500 (1,500 miles in 36 hours).

So the question here is if one could complete a Saddlesore 2000 without necessarily completing a Bun Burner 1500. And the answer is yes. For example, one could complete the first 1,500 miles in 37 hours but the Saddlesore 2000 within the 48-hour time limit. So one could apply for both certificates.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Redwing56

Premier Member
I think I follow you on the first part. I have a 2000 mile route for the SS2K. Simply put if I make 1500 miles on that route before 24 hours that’s a BB1500 gold. So if I Continue on the same route another 500 miles in the next 24 hours than I can apply for both the BBG1500 and the SS2000

Please let me know if this makes sense

Redwing56

Premier Member
I guess in re reading four response, 2000 miles in 48 hours with the first under 24 would earn the following:
SS1000
BBG1500
BB1500
SS2000
am I correct? I think it might be two SS1000?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
No.

As I said earlier, if one finishes a Bun Burner GOLD, one has by definition completed a Saddlesore 1000 and a Bun Burner 1500. And you can't finish 2000 miles in 48 hours without necessarily completing at least one Saddlesore 1000. There are probably a few combinations of those rides that would qualify for nesting (e.g., the Saddlesore 1000 and the Bun Burner 1500, the Bun Burner 1500 and the Saddlesore 2000), but we would not issue certificates for all of them on the same ride. In other words, why would we issue you a certificate for completing 1,000 miles in 24 hours and another certificate for completing 1,500 miles in the same 24 hours?

Also, one needs to be an IBA member prior to attempting a Bun Burner GOLD. Just mentioning it if that is the case here.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:

Redwing56

Premier Member
I’m still not quite sure I understand but that’s ok. I’ll get used to ito just submitted my first SS1000 and was a solid 1080 miles in 18 hours so I will be a member

Let me just ask plainly. I want to do a 2000 mile route. 1500 in 24 hours and then finish the rest within the 48 hours. Will I get two certs, BBG1500 and SS2000?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Just include a note that you want both certificates. Your documentation for the longer ride will also cover the shorter ride, but be sure to obtain a receipt at the 24-hour/1,500-mile point to document completing that ride with the minimum distance and within the time limit. You will pay the full fee for the first ride and an additional $20 for the certificate-only for the second ride (any patches, pins, etc. for the second ride are at additional cost).

Ira

Redwing56

Premier Member
Nesting question
Next week I’m attempting:
BBG1500 and Ride Around Ohio
So the question is if I do the BBG in 24 hrs, rest for 10 hours and then start the Ride Around which would be done in 24 is two 24 hour certs. My question is if after starting the Ride around It would have been 34 hours since the start of my BBG. If I could do another 500 miles before I hit the 48 hour
Mark from the original BBG start time, can I nest in a SS2K in the series. Ending up with a BBG1500, SS2K and Ride Around Ohio?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Review the basic rule earlier in this thread and then look at the rides you propose.

It's possible to complete an SS2k without necessarily completing a BBG. And although completing an SS2k means by definition one has completed at least one SS1k, it does NOT mean one necessarily completes an RAO. So I believe you could apply for all three certificates.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association