Ira - is IBA certifiying rides now?

Hi - I am planning on doing my first ss1k 6/16 here in California. I am recalling Mike K put out a missive on the IBA website about not riding during the virus situation. I can't seem to locate that article from Mike at this time.

So bottom line 'if' I ride 6/16 and submit the appropriate paperwork will the ride be considered for certification?

Thank you.
Wolff

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Look about five threads down this topic area and you will find one entitled "Coronavirus". It describes our position and includes Mike's "missive."

Remember that the IBA is a world-wide organization. New Zealand, for example, is COVID-19 free. Other places not so much. Additionally, we do not wish, nor do we have the resources, to act as the Ride Police and be familiar with each and every local, state, and national law, rule, and regulation regarding the present situation. We leave that to the riders :), as we do the decision to ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira - Thanks for the referral to the Cornivirus thread. I read through the responses and will postpone my ride.

I did have fun getting me and the bike ready :)

p.s. I told my spousal unit i was postponing the ride and she was glad - so I banked some much needed 'husband points.' :D

Last edited:
Hey Ira ! Not sure if this will reach you but I never received my 50cc or 1500 BBG certificates from my May of 1991 Jack-San Diego ride. Yep.....your eyes aren't deceiving you. My name is on the BIG list, almost at the bottom. I realize my name on that list does not validate the 1500 miles in a day claim, but IBA sent me a typed letter/confirmation stating my time of 35:08. The math pretty much indicates I completed that benchmark number. I suspect that time is still one of the quicker times for that route, though some time back I read someone beat it. No matter. Let me know if I need to send a picture of the letter, which was printed on official IBA letterhead, to confirm. Makes me feel old as it has turned a light shade of brown!! Thanks !! Brian Morrow

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hey Ira ! Not sure if this will reach you but I never received my 50cc or 1500 BBG certificates from my May of 1991 Jack-San Diego ride. Yep.....your eyes aren't deceiving you. My name is on the BIG list, almost at the bottom. I realize my name on that list does not validate the 1500 miles in a day claim, but IBA sent me a typed letter/confirmation stating my time of 35:08. The math pretty much indicates I completed that benchmark number. I suspect that time is still one of the quicker times for that route, though some time back I read someone beat it. No matter. Let me know if I need to send a picture of the letter, which was printed on official IBA letterhead, to confirm. Makes me feel old as it has turned a light shade of brown!! Thanks !! Brian Morrow
Yes. I see your name on the 50cc list and, as you point out, I don't see it on the BBG list. But I'm just curious - why did you wait 29 years to bring this to our attention?

In any case, sending you the 50cc cert is pretty straightforward. I've asked Mike to issue a replacement. You could, in fact, order a replacement from the IBA eStore.

It's not clear to me if you applied for and/or paid for the BBG cert. The fact that you are not shown in that section of the finishers list seems to indicate you didn't. But if you have some documentation to the contrary, along with any other correspondence regarding this matter, please send it to [email protected].

As an aside, we don't maintain speed records for our rides, so we wouldn't know if someone "beat" your time.

Thanks Ira. No, I did not apply for the BBG way back because I'm not sure it existed. Things have changed since then. How? Well, they DID mention my time when verifying my 50cc. It also states my time was the fastest ever for that route. The math of it supports a 1500 mile, 24 hour leg or portion. None of this is important so no big deal. I found out some years later someone bettered my time. Give me a phone number and I will text you a copy. You might find it interesting. Anyhow, I "waited" 29 years because I started a family not long after. I recently stumbled upon the verification letter, which states my 50cc certificate will be mailed shortly (ha, ha.....I'm waiting!!) Not looking for a "free ride". Let me know ANY cost incurred and I will pay. As a side note. I asked Mike in 1991 if he might change it to 40cc instead of 50cc (Jack-San Diego under 50 hrs IS pretty easy) I guess we know his opinion of that idea!! Thanks again and please let me know what I need to do or pay. Brian Morrow 1833 Poinsettia Dr Marietta, Ga 30062

P.S. Most of us did not have computers then, so nearly all correspondence was snail mail. Al Turner was Secretary, Rules Committee. Letter is signed by Larry Smotrys

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Ira. No, I did not apply for the BBG way back because I'm not sure it existed. Things have changed since then. How? Well, they DID mention my time when verifying my 50cc. It also states my time was the fastest ever for that route. The math of it supports a 1500 mile, 24 hour leg or portion. None of this is important so no big deal. I found out some years later someone bettered my time. Give me a phone number and I will text you a copy. You might find it interesting. Anyhow, I "waited" 29 years because I started a family not long after. I recently stumbled upon the verification letter, which states my 50cc certificate will be mailed shortly (ha, ha.....I'm waiting!!) Not looking for a "free ride". Let me know ANY cost incurred and I will pay. As a side note. I asked Mike in 1991 if he might change it to 40cc instead of 50cc (Jack-San Diego under 50 hrs IS pretty easy) I guess we know his opinion of that idea!! Thanks again and please let me know what I need to do or pay. Brian Morrow 1833 Poinsettia Dr Marietta, Ga 30062
Hi Brian, looks like you was doing big IBA rides back in the day. That is a nice time for a 50CC.

( Sorry Ira )

I did the ride two years ago and was lucky to finish in 29 hours and 23 minutes. Here is a link to my ride report and satellite tracking.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-2923.html

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Peanut gallery comment - take it for exactly what it's worth... ;)

I want to think the original IBA orthodoxy was 'one ride, one cert'. Now, for many, many riders, that is still how it's done.

At some point in the past - and it was before *I* became a member back in 2011, that orthodoxy was clarified. 'Nesting' of rides became possible, based on the requirements posted and clarified many times in various threads on this forum - and the previous forum software - by IBA leadership.

EDIT: Slow-poke @ 43:20

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Peanut gallery comment - take it for exactly what it's worth... ;)

I want to think the original IBA orthodoxy was 'one ride, one cert'. Now, for many, many riders, that is still how it's done.

At some point in the past - and it was before *I* became a member back in 2011, that orthodoxy was clarified. 'Nesting' of rides became possible, based on the requirements posted and clarified many times in various threads on this forum - and the previous forum software - by IBA leadership.

EDIT: Slow-poke @ 43:20
I am still one ride one cert.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Mike got back to me.

We, of course, still have the 1991 records. :) It turns out you didn't receive a certificate because you never paid for the ride. :oops: That's the bad news. But wait - there's good news, too. Mike will only charge you the 1991 50cc fee of $32.

But wait - there's more!

Mike says there is sufficient documentation to also award you the BBG, from Jacksonville to Van Horn, TX, for an additional $20 if submitted along with the 50cc fee (plus if you want a pin $8.75, patch $8.50 and BBG plate back $6.50). If you want the BBG to extend further than that, you will need to provide the necessary receipts (which I'm sure you still have). You will need to send in the BBG application form, but we have sufficient documentation from JAX to Van Horn. Include a note describing what is going on, in case the person who gets it will know to check with Mike.

Ira

Thanks Ira !! And thanks Mike. Let me know an address to send payment to. Don't think I saw one stated here anywhere. As for some of the random comments pertaining to my request here.......wow.

Hi Brian, looks like you was doing big IBA rides back in the day. That is a nice time for a 50CC.

( Sorry Ira )

I did the ride two years ago and was lucky to finish in 29 hours and 23 minutes. Here is a link to my ride report and satellite tracking.

http://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-2923.html
No Greg, you weren't lucky. You busted your arse. Good for you ! I only cruised at 75mph but stopped for nothing except gas(5 gals. approx. on the FJ1200) and a bio or two. As for me doing big IBA rides in the day......not so at all. I dabbled. Kneebone would know that. Cal 24 in 92 and 93. Flew out to help Pete Heesch with that rally in 94.....done. Thanks all the same! Be safe

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The application form and snail mail address (we weren't using email in 1991) is at

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/application1000v5.pdf.

Just fill out and send in the last two pages (Ride Application) and include the fees. Also include a note and perhaps my email above describing what Mike said. Be sure to put 2020 postage on the envelope. :) Make the check payable to "Iron Butt Association".

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ira

Hey Ira, What part of having the decency to allow someone to respond do YOU not understand? Atleast I was adult enough to own up to my indiscretion . Best part is you just read my response. I will never read yours. Adios

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Ira, What part of having the decency to allow someone to respond do YOU not understand? Atleast I was adult enough to own up to my indiscretion . Best part is you just read my response. I will never read yours. Adios
Wow.. What did I miss? ...or does someone need a meds adjustment ?