Hope I submitted correctly....

I submitted my first Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 on 11/27/21... I did not submit any payment as there was no link or place to put it in. My understanding is that they will contact me via email for payment when they are looking at it. Is this correct ??? I fully understand that they are backed up and I will not hear anything for months, I just don't want to wait months only to find out they never received my paperwork.... I wished I didn't do it on line now. Will I screw things up if I send in duplicate app with tracking and payment inclosed ???

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
You did fine. We will invoice you when the verification is completed.

In fact, we prefer that no payment be sent with the ride - it reduces the number of refunds we need to send out (we only charge the fee if the ride is approved).

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Russ Black

Premier Member
As long as you organized and submitted your application as outlined in the instructions for on-line submission, everything is easily readable and the contact information you provided is correct, you will eventually hear something from them. Good to go, question or additional info needed. Check the spam folder for that hidden gem and don't just skim over and delete. Electronic is way better than snail mail. The IBA is an international organization with a very small staff of mostly volunteers. Think about how many motorcycle riders there are in the world. How many roads there are to be traveled on. How many different routes one can take on those roads to do 1000, 1500, 2000 miles or more rides and documenting the completion of them within the rules of that particular ride and which all of them having to be verified manually, one by one thus giving value to the certificate. Not a money in, certificate out, conveyor belt.

Congratulations on your first SS1000 and yes you will screw things up if you send in a duplicate app. Check the forum, you can usually figure out what the current wait time for certifications is by looking at other folks posting about them finally getting their certificate. I'd say 14 to 26 weeks seems to be the norm at the moment. I sent my first application in via snail mail and waited just short of a year for my first certificate. I know just how frustrating that wait is. Some certifiers are faster than others and the ones desk that your application happened to be assigned to is not one of them. They may also have several messed up applications in the que in front of you that they must work through before they get to yours. That could be why the guy who submitted his application after you, received his ride certificate before you. Participation in one of the IBA rallies such as the IBA BIG-AS-TEXAS PARTY & Ride-a-Palooza is the fastest way to get your first certificate and IBA#. Not only will you have a blast, you'll get your certificate at the awards ceremony. Some of the IBA rallies that have someone on staff that can certify rides, will usually let you submit applications for other rides you have completed, usually at the beginning of the rally before the riders go out on their rides, and you'll receive those certificates as well during the awards ceremony.

Welcome and Good Luck!

Thank you for your reply. I fully understand the wait time, just a shame that there is no way to tell where you are in the process... hopefully in the future the system will be upgraded. In the mean time I will plan my next ride. Thanks JIM

Dave28117

Premier Member
you got the email response back from the submission? that's the key to know they got it. I trust that Ira above probably checked that for you.

I appreciate the responses here as I kinda had the same questions. I also completed my first SS1000 in Aug. I also understand it takes longer from Canada, so I will go back to waiting patiently and checking my junk mail folder every 20 minuets.

I have to start checking deeper into this, I check spam and mail folders, nothing I can find with a respond back, and at the time I sent it in I wasn't a where they sent a response, my error ):