Nesting Border to Border

danklyrides

Premier Member
Good day all,

I just had what seems to be a good idea. It would be challenging, but could I nest the following?

Border to Border Gold
BBG
I-15 End to End (maybe gold?)

I would be relying on 2 quick border crossings to get the golds but it seems possible. Is it allowed?

Cheers!
dankly

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The rule for nesting rides is you can't nest a ride if you had to have done one to do the other.

So a BBG, 1500 miles in 24 hours is not necessary to do a B2B Gold ride. So you could nest a B2B Gold inside a BBG.

1-15 E2E is slightly less than 1500 miles. So again, you would not have to ride a BBG to complete a I-15 E2E ride. So you could nest a I-15 E2E inside a BBG ride.

An I-15 E2E does not go to the Mexican border. So you wouldn't have to do a B2B ride to complete an I-15 E2E. So you could nest a I-15 E2E inside a B2B ride, inside a BBG ride.

As I understand the guidelines for nesting, (and it's really up to the IBA what they will allow), you could ride a BBG that also encompassed a B2B Gold and a I-15 E2E ride, but you would need to document each ride's start and end points. That means a DBR to start your BBG, then receipts across the border, (not sure if you could start the BBG deeper in Canada or Mexico w/o it becoming a metric ride, but probably ok), then the start and end points of the I-15. Since the US/Canada border is one end of I-15, the B2B receipt in Coutts might qualify for that end of I-15 too. Or you might get a DBR in Sweet Grass just to make sure.

Hope that helps. @Ira will chime in if I've gotten it wrong. :)

Do understand that while you would potentially get 3 certificates, for the purposes of a Mile Eater cert, all three certs only count as one ride.

danklyrides

Premier Member
Thank you so much for the reply Eric!

Does anyone know if I need witness statements at any point or if DBRs and Spotwalla would be sufficient for all portions?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That depends on how you submit it. If you go old school with the paper forms, you will want odo witnesses for the start and finish paperwork of those forms. It doesn't have to done at the exact start or end, your DBRs are your official start and end times.

If you take picture of your receipts and odo for the electronic method, no witnesses are required.

danklyrides

Premier Member
Would anyone be able to provide an official answer on whether I need to stop and get a DBR in Sweet Grass, MT? I will be starting my B2B ride in Milk River, AB, CN and will be to Sweet Grass 14 miles later. Sweet Grass is the starting point of the I-15 E2E and I want to make sure I do the right thing to get both certs. That being said, it would be great if I didn't need that extra stop. I will be using the new Spotwalla method of tracking my ride. Thanks!

Alex

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Get a receipt. It is the official start time and location of the E2E and different than the start time and location of your B2B.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association