Oil Change thougths

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Honestly, I use K&N filters just so I don't have to carry a filter strap wrench with me
Same thing here. Have 17mm socket, will travel.

I can pull the drain bolt and filter without removing any bodywork. About 15 minutes total if I quit dinkin' around and just get on with it.

Firstpeke

BMW owners don't need to worry about that. The bikes are filled with lifetime oil and lifetime air.
If only......

I do seem to remember a US model of car that had 100,000 mile service interval.....

Oil and filter change is certainly less expensive than an engine change.....

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I was being cheeky, remembering BMW's "lifetime" chain.
To be fair it wasn't a life time chain it was a maintenance free chain later changed to a reduced maintenance chain.

Sprockets still wore, which still caused the chain to require adjustment and of course the chain itself would eventually wear, which caused controversy and BMW had to back track it's claims.

The idea of not having to lube a chain for it's life and only adjust it as the sprockets wore is still very intriguing, just not at the current price of the chain.

jsoque

Premier Member
Just some more information regarding oil changes. I just changed my oil after my ride to the Panama Canal and another 800 miles to my house in North Carolina. So, all together 10,600 miles. In all of my IBR's ( 5 ) I did not change the oil until I got back home and the shortest IBR ride was 11,800 miles and the longest was 15,000 miles. I rode to Alaska and back from Key West, 14,000 miles and I have done many 8,000+ mile rides and not changed my oil until I get back home. I send my oil to Blackstone labs and the last time they said my oil looks good and I could go at least 12,000 miles if not more.

I have done this on my Gold Wings, FJR, RT and GSA's.
Rice is all knowing! I would heed this mans advice. J

Russ Black

Premier Member
This reminds me of the Startrek NG episode when Jordi and Scotty from the original series are on an away mission and the obligatory catastrophe happens and Jordi is telling Scotty that according to the specifications of some vessel, it won't take that amount of pressure needed to accomplish the task needed for them to escape their peril. Scotty told him that it would because he was the one that wrote the specs and he always allowed for a big safety measure. He implied that he always exaggerated the fix so he could be the hero by fixing the impossiable.

The military doesn't use mileage, hours or time to determine when to change the oil. They send a small sample to a lab and only change it when it is out of spec. We drove many, many, many miles between oil changes.

The modern synthetic oils are far superior than plain petroleum oil and I have gone a few thousand miles more than what Greg Rice states between oil changes. I live where I can ride my bike all year long and do. Bottom line is as Kerri stated, do what your comfortable with.

Not wanting to see this thread die a natural death.

I've been using Mobile One almost exclusively (a short time with AmsOil when the company I was working for did the maintenance) in all my engines since it came out. I've gone well past 15,000 miles on my trucks and the one has 325k miles on it and only "uses" a quart every 10k or so.

That said, I'm using Mobil 1 Racing 4T Motorcycle 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil in the '17GSA and it has started using "some" oil at 150,000 miles. I get the warning light and have to add a few milliliters (maybe about 100-150ml) to top it off somewhere between the 6-10k mark. Depends if I'm trying to keep up with Greg Rice, running rally speeds, or just cruising around. I'm getting ready to do my spring oil change and it's is still in the middle of the site-glass at 8k after adding about 150ml at 6k. I can regularly buy this at $10/quart on sale at Autozone.