Cockpit Layouts, lets see 'em!

It's already cranked down to to point of deforming the ball.

It's pretty much just a matter of weight. B size (1") balls are rated to hold 2lbs and my setup is 2.55lbs with the arm almost fully extended. Add the additional weight gained from vibrations/movement during riding and it's a setup destined to fail that's not the design's fault.

The C size (1.5") is rated for 4lbs, so hopefully it will help. Push comes to shove, I can return the C size (one good thing about Amazon is the return policy) and get the D size (2.25") which is rated for 6lbs.

I've run into a similar issue with using Doubletake's mirrors. I had to crank them down so hard to keep them from moving due to wind pressure that they deformed the ball mount. Now when I adjust the mirrors, they just slip back into the deformed groves. I've switched back to the OEM mirrors for winter (they work better with my hippo hands anyways) and will reconsider using them with new ball mounts come spring.
I haven't tried them yet but have read good things about the MotoMinded replacement balls over on ADV Rider. I've had the same issue with the deformed Ram mounts in the past plus some of mine are cracking so I'll probably try the MotoMinded ones soon.

MidTNJasonF

Premier Member
Ram had a known issue with 1" mounting balls. The durometer of the material was soft and adhesion to the center shaft was compromised. Clamping harder only served to deform the ball and further break the bond between the ball and the metal threaded mount in the center.

I ran into this issue with a set of Doubletake ADV mirrors. When I went back to Doubletake they stated it was a known issue and had go through RAM mounts for a warranty claim. RAM had a form on their website and I simply uploaded a couple pictures along with the ball/mount I needed. I had a confirmation email fairly quickly and new balls from RAM in about a week.

Last edited:

yon

Premier Member
Ram had a known issue with 1" mounting balls. The durometer of the material was soft and adhesion to the center shaft was compromised. Clamping harder only served to deform the ball and further break the bond between the ball and the metal threaded mount in the center.

I ran into this issue with a set of Doubletake ADV mirrors. When I went back to Doubletake they stated it was a known issue and had be go through RAM mounts for a warranty claim. RAM had a form on their website and I simply uploaded a couple pictures along with the ball/mount I needed. I had a confirmation email fairly quickly and new balls from RAM in about a week.
Hadn't thought about filing a claim with Ram. Thanks for the info, I will do so today.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Not necessarily.

On this particular ride I ran:
Left - Garmin Zumo 550 that mainly shows speed and logs the trip.
Central - Garmin Zumo 660 is in 'north up' mode and shows the overall route zoomed out.
Right - Garmin Zumo 590LM which is set on 'track up' mode and is zoomed in. This GPS was the main one and was the only one Bluetoothed to my helmet.

I didn't truly need 3 GPS devices on that ride, but despite the flat terrain in the pic, the BB2500K route was a bit complicated.

I'm taking a guess that's the blue s10 Ox.
Did you have any issues with the tank bag on lock to lock or during refuels getting hooked up with GPS units?
I'm plotting some locations for QuadLock and my first ever real big boys GPS. Im tending towards the dash rail as likely location.
Any input would be greatly received.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes Gatey, that's my blue Tenere. The second of 3 blue ones and now owned by Crackaz.

No issues with the tank bag. I had an SW-Motech EVO City quick release bag if I recall correctly. Pull the string at the front and it unclips from the horseshoe bolted to the tank.

That dash rail was pretty simple: just a length of maybe 25mm alloy angle bolted to the bar clamps. It could also mount in front of the handlebar. Light and rigid and with the RAM mounts very handy for gadgets.