IBA Memorial Service - 2022

Fatman

We had beautiful sunny skies on Saturday morning with the temperature around 20c for this years IBA Memorial Service at Netallie Hills. It is hard to believe 3 years has passed since the unveiling of the memorial site in Sept 2019, but this is only our second memorial due to Covid stopping most things from happening.

All up 10 of us arrived at the memorial to pay our respects to those IronButt riders who have ridden on.

Attendees this year were:

Bazz and Liz

Skidoo

Hagar

Ash

Spokeman

Philmor

Derrick

LTP and myself

I was given the task of welcoming everyone to this year's service and I was honoured to be asked to do so, thanks Skidoo.

Ash then spoke about this special place and what it means to IBA long distance riders. Ash was instrumental in placing the plaque onto the rock and he and Bazz gave us a insight of how it all came around.

Lynne then named each of the 6 IBA riders that have ridden on together with their IBA #'s and date of when each of them rode on.

Names of those IBA riders who have ridden on:

David Jones, Davo IBA #22575 - Rode on 04 September 2009

John Ainsworth, JRA IBA # 39183 - Rode on 08 August 2011

John Nagle, Saaz IBA # 59143 - Rode on 02 October 2015

Rob Knight, Rob Roy IBA # 60566 - Rode on 25 February 2016

Pat McLean, Toura IBA # 49588 - Rode on 29 March 2016

Ed Brown, Ed535 IBA # 56443 - Rode on 20 September 2022

Spokeman (Graham) gave us all an insight about his mate Rob Knight (Rob Roy) who rode together frequently. Thanks Graham for enlightening us all.

Bazz and Liz then laid a wreath on the memorial rock, a minute silence followed.

Derrick was tasked with reciting the IBA Poem -
May the sun and wind be at my back
May the rains feed the earth but pass by me.
Keep me safe through the twisties and rolling hills
Let the Wedge-Tailed Eagle guide me to the mountaintops
Let the moon light guide me through the night
Let peace find me on the long road
I'm grateful to be an IBA rider

I then concluded our service after which we all mingled back at the Netallie Hills rest area and enjoyed some light refreshments while have a chat before all going our different ways.

I would like to thank all the people who attended and made this second IBA memorial such a success. Thank you all.

Photos to follow

Edit.. Corrected John Nagle spelling

Last edited:

Fatman

1667718103428.png
Netallie Hills Rest area

1667718131670.png
Skidoo, Ash & Fatman

1667718210257.png
Ash then spoke about this special place

1667718270902.png
Philmor, Hagar, Spokesman, Derrick, Bazz, Skidoo, Liz & Bosco, Fatman

1667718380945.png
Bazz & Liz laying their wreath

1667718434152.png
Derrick reciting the 'IBA Australia Memorial poem'

Last edited:

Fatman

1667718762917.png

1667718807615.png
Bosco (puppy), Liz, Fatman, Ash, Skidoo, Derrick, Philmor, Hagar, Spokesman (Graham) & Bazz

1667718938450.png
Morning Tea at Netallie Rest stop

1667719007413.png
Hagar, Spokesman (Graham) & Fatman

1667719121035.png
Fatman, Bazz, Derrick & Hagar

1667719194515.png
Liz, Skidoo, Philmor's back, Ash & Spokesman (Graham)

Last edited:

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Unfortunately due to staff shortages at work I was unable to attend Saturdays memorial gathering.
I finished work late Sunday and got a few hours sleep before heading north to Port Augusta and finding Davos plaque around 03:30
A very close call with a roo up Horricks pass and an even closer encounter outside Yunta it was then west to Wilcania for a corner docket and a very average pie before paying my respects at the memorial sight.
A ride back home via the World's End Highway and the Barossa Valley rounded off the 1700km 18 hour ride. IMG20221107110907_resize_83.jpg

IMG20221107110746_resize_73.jpg IMG20221107043050_resize_14.jpg

Fatman

I'm glad your memorial SS1600 worked out for you Jeff, well done.
You captured 2 of our very special places to pay our respects within your IBA ride with Davo's plaque at Horrocks Pass near Wilmington and the IBA Australia memorial at Netallie Hills near Wilcannia, respect.
Sorry you couldn't make the service on Saturday, always next year.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Well done and congratulations to all those who attended.
I can only apologise for my none attendance and go off in a corner and sulk at missing out on a great thing.

This report and the photos have brightened my day and reminded me to just try harder to make the most of any chance to mingle.

Unfortunately due to staff shortages at work I was unable to attend Saturdays memorial gathering.
I finished work late Sunday and got a few hours sleep before heading north to Port Augusta and finding Davos plaque around 03:30
A very close call with a roo up Horricks pass and an even closer encounter outside Yunta it was then west to Wilcania for a corner docket and a very average pie before paying my respects at the memorial sight.
A ride back home via the World's End Highway and the Barossa Valley rounded off the 1700km 18 hour ride.
So glad you got out to do a ride, even better a memorial ride. You certainly did that by visiting Horrocks and Netallie Hills in the one ride. Well done

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you to all for the memories again. And most importantly for the list of those that have "ridden on" - I am pleased to have met almost all of them especially Dave, JRA and Toura. Would someone please give me a quiet call or a message re Ed?

Tele

Premier Member
A most respectful and wonderful gathering of IBA riders for this special event. Thank you to all who were able to participate and thanks to the mighty Fatman once again for the excellent report and photos. Well done Jeff on your personal tribute. Finding Davo's plaque at 03:30am was a major achievement alone!