New Member Intro

Murphyau

@Tele - It is what it is. Went over the bike yesterday evening - gremlins have disappeared (of course - because we all love hunting what might be an intermittent electrical issue....). << snip >>.
Gremlins do not just "disappear". They may hybernate for some period of time, but they will be back unless you can find their "nest" and remove them completely.

Trust me, us Irish are used to dealing with the "little people" ( leprechauns ) who are closely related to gremlins.

All the very best for your next SS1600 attempt.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Gremlins do not just "disappear". They may hybernate for some period of time, but they will be back unless you can find their "nest" and remove them completely.

Trust me, us Irish are used to dealing with the "little people" ( leprechauns ) who are closely related to gremlins.

All the very best for your next SS1600 attempt.
100% agree - I'm suspecting moisture. I'll be making a change that will allow me to make a more informed decision (i.e. can I keep going or not) should this situation happen again (and a 2nd change that will give me the ability to isolate the auxiliary circuit completely and quickly should I need to).

"I was wondering how long a SPOT (I've got a Gen 3) would last on batteries pushing out spots every 5 minutes and a message every couple of hours (I didn't want to get 1/2 through the ride and have to fail due to flat batteries)"

I ran an 11 day rally on one set of batteries on my Gen 3 spot. Really no need to have it wired into the bike. Just use good quality batteries.

Good luck with your next attempt, I am sure with what you learnt from your last attempt the next will be successful.

Looking forward to the ride report.
Interesting Jeff.
My gen2 spot kills a set of liuthium batteries in about three days continuous use. What I ended up doing was buying a battery replacemnt pack that is hardwired into the bike system and left it hot for 5 months.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have not experienced the same battery drain as some have reported. I have a Spot Gen 3 and for the past 2 1/2 years I've had my tracking interval set at 5 min and it seems the batteries last forever (well at least for 3 months) while tracking 20k-40k miles a year.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Ok - It looks like we might be making another attempt this Sunday. Weather out of Sydney isn't looking the greatest so the pin might get pulled. Riding group has grown from 3 to 7 (don't ask... you would think there is a limited number of people such craziness would appeal to). Route is still effectively the same but with two additional intermediate stops for a couple of the riders (Rebel CMX500 and BMW S1000R) who are marginal on making 260km+ to the tank) - the 2nd stop of which would likely have been required to do a quick clothing change (again, due to weather/temperatures). Time will tell....

For those interested, the bikes will be: HD Street 500 (a possible first for IBA from what I can see from the two lists), Honda Rebel 500 (CMX500), Triumph Rocket 3 Tourer, BMW S1000R, Honda CB400Super4 (one of the sweetest sounding bikes I've ever heard), Yamaha Niken & HD Sportster - a true motley crew.

Last edited:

cjmckay

Premier Member
Update: We did it (obviously 'unofficially' - as yet to be certified). Ride report to follow at some stage.
Short version: 6 of us(HD Sportster out due to illnes), all having never done one before. ~21hours start to finish. Google Maps distance of 1660km.
Now to do the paperwork.

cjmckay

Premier Member
Very well done to the finishers. Commiserations to the non finisher. Awaiting your trip report. And finally with certificates in hand, it will bee, welcome to the IBA. Cheers.
Thanks - I'll post the trip report once it is certified (in progress as we speak). Non-finisher - there will be an opportunity for him soon. There is already talk of another run (or more). Already got a rough route (SS1600K) planned going north (just got to work out the stops) and two others going west. Given the group - there are whispers of a piston diversity attempt over the course of the year (the group has everything but a 6 cylinder in the mix at the moment) - But I'll leave that for another thread.

Tele

Premier Member
Sincere congratulations to you all. Sharing such a challenging ride with friends adds to the excitement of the effort and that combined sense of "we did it" will enthuse you all for future endeavours!