100ccc Quest Questions

I've read the 100ccc page on the IBA site, but I need some additional answers to questions as preparation for this ride.

1. Is the 100cc Quest classified as an EXTREME ride?
2. Should the 50cc Forms for be used (but modified) also for the 100ccc?
3. Clarification: One who completes to 100ccc also qualifies for the following IBA Certificates: SS1000, BB1500, SS2000, SS3000, BB3000, 50cc. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've recently completed to 50cc and am planning to ride the 100ccc in May 2017.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Tom,

The start and stop forms at the same for all rides I believe. I have them as a word doc with my details already on them and I have used the same form for start and stop of 50CC 48/10 and ss1000 rides.

As far as the clarification goes I think you are correct on all of those, but what is the point? The 100CCC is the ultimate ride. (PS rides within a ride do not count towards mile eater program)

100CCC = Coast to Coast, and back to the starting Coast, all under 100 hours! Xtreme!

I would add that is is pretty easy to get a BunBurner Gold (1500 documented miles in under 24 hours! Xtreme!) as part of a 50cc or a 100CCC but then again I do not believe that the BBG counts towards your mile eater awards as it is a ride in a ride...

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I've read the 100ccc page on the IBA site, but I need some additional answers to questions as preparation for this ride.

3. Clarification: One who completes to 100ccc also qualifies for the following IBA Certificates: SS1000, BB1500, SS2000, SS3000, BB3000, 50cc. Correct?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've recently completed to 50cc and am planning to ride the 100ccc in May 2017.
Hi Tom,

According to the rides and rules page - the 100ccc does qualify as extreme. As for question 2 - I would assume you could modify an existing form and for question 3 - the 100ccc page identifies the other certifications which may qualify. The only one you listed not on the page was a SS1000; but I suppose you could obtain one if you experienced a mechanical failure or had to cut the ride short and had obtained appropriate documentation. I'm hoping to squeeze in a 100ccc next year between some other events and would be interested in you sharing what route you are planning to take. Did you do a write-up on your 50cc? I have been reading the experiences of others which I find helpful for preparation.

Scott

Steve Bracken

Premier Member
Let's unpick this a little ...

1. Yes, it's an Xtreme ride.

2. You can use a generic form provided all the required info is there. They are all pretty much the same

3. You cannot get certificates for "other" rides that are predicated upon completing a ride. For example ... You cannot complete an SS5000 without also completing an SS1000, etc along the way. What you can do is add certificates that are NOT also buried in a bigger ride. For example, you do not have to complete a Bun Burner Gold while riding a CC50, so if you do then you can certificate it if you have all the necessary evidence. Also, the shortest CCC100 is less than 5000 miles, so you could go get that one too. There are a lot of permutations, but you can work out what is possible from the general guidelines.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
There seems to be a lengthy discussion of this on the legacy forum. I want to think that's where maybe there's a small amount of confusion; yes you get the certificate, yet due to the methodology of the ride characteristics it may not be considered for Mile Eater awards.

http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7595&PN=1

I thought there was at least one other discussion; sadly, can't quite figure out the proper search phrase to find it.

I think of it this way - if it's 'tacked on', then it could counts, based on the wisdom of the cert team and precedence set by those that came before me. So, if my E to W 50cc was actually planned as a BBG, starting at JAX, then I continued and achieved a 50cc, that would seem to be 'not' buried in a bigger ride. Does that make sense?

Steve Bracken

Premier Member
I think of it this way - if it's 'tacked on', then it could counts, based on the wisdom of the cert team and precedence set by those that came before me. So, if my E to W 50cc was actually planned as a BBG, starting at JAX, then I continued and achieved a 50cc, that would seem to be 'not' buried in a bigger ride. Does that make sense?
Whichever way you slice it. A 50CC can be happily completed without running 1500+ miles in under 24 hours, so if you do achieve that it can be certified.

Thank you everyone for helping answer the 3 questions, providing clarification, and expanding upon it to include Mile Eater info. Much appreciated!

Hi Tom,

According to the rides and rules page - the 100ccc does qualify as extreme. As for question 2 - I would assume you could modify an existing form and for question 3 - the 100ccc page identifies the other certifications which may qualify. The only one you listed not on the page was a SS1000; but I suppose you could obtain one if you experienced a mechanical failure or had to cut the ride short and had obtained appropriate documentation. I'm hoping to squeeze in a 100ccc next year between some other events and would be interested in you sharing what route you are planning to take. Did you do a write-up on your 50cc? I have been reading the experiences of others which I find helpful for preparation.

Scott
Scott, I didn't do a write-up on the 50cc Quest. I could, however I'm unaware of where I should contribute the experience. Thanks.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff

Thanks in advance.

The basic rule for multiple certificates on the same ride is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only would issue one certificate. For example, everyone who completes a BBG has by definition completed a Saddlesore 1000 and a Bu Burner 1500.

In this case, if one completes a 100ccc, one has by definition completed a 50cc. So we wouldn't issue both. Similarly, everyone who completes an SS2k or SS3k has by definition completed at least one SS1k. So you couldn't go for both on the same leg of a 100ccc, but you could complete both the SS2K and SS3k because one can complete a 100ccc without necessarily completing either of those rides and one can complete an SS3k without necessarily completing an SS2k.

Clear as mud, right? :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Clear as mud, right? :)
Perhaps this is where the confusion sets in...

As an example, if there's no 'credit' possible for a successful BBG within a successful 50CC run, why bother with the 'cert within a cert' attempt?

Now, if it's a 'cert within a cert within a cert...' situation (as you described the situation above...), then I can see where there are those that could be confused about which are granted, and which would not be granted, simply because you've achieved a cert beyond. Again, your example above -- the 100ccc needs to have a successful pair of 50cc rides completed to have that certified.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
There is credit available for a BBG within a CC50.

The CC50 is possible without running a BBG. The CC50 is not an Xtreme Ride, but the BBG is.
And the reason for that is because it's possible to complete a 50cc without necessarily completing a BBG.

And, as you say, one can't complete a 100ccc without completing 50cc's. So we wouldn't issue the 50cc AND 100ccc certificates.

Ira