100ccc ride questions

I'm new to the forum and have thought about the 100ccc ride for years I'm very close to attempting it now that I spend my Winters in FL.
Just a couple of questions before I go off and find out I've done it for nothing. 1. Although I have completed the 1000 Saddlesore numerous time with friends from the local HOG Chapter, as well as solo they have never been registered with IBA. As such, will I need to complete another and submit it to the IBA for approval before I take off? 2. Do I need to register and pay the fee before I take off, or submit the documentation of the ride completion along with the fee after the fact?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated, I'm sure I'll have more before I go.

THX,
crowgo

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A 50 or 100cc cannot be your first certified ride IIRC. So an SS1k would need to be done first. Not sure if you need to wait for certification, but it would stand to reason logically you do as it is possible your SS1k wasn't completed correctly, not certified which would null your 100cc....which would suck.

I'm sure someone from the IBA will come along soon and confirm.

Good luck.

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For you second question, there is no registration required or available before your ride. Read and be very familiar with documentation requirements, know what you need to keep, ask questions if unsure.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I know...older thread...

It doesn't take BBG pace to do a 50cc. Some simple math...since there's not a lot to do at the moment. ;)

2380 miles (JAX -> SDO verified distance) divided by 50 hours is ~47.6 MPH Yes, I know, I didn't take any rest time into account in this calculation!

SS1000 math for comparative purposes: 1025 (2.5% fudge factor) miles divided by 24 hours is ~42.7 MPH Again, no rest time in the calculation!

Taking that 2380, dividing in two makes 1190 miles for a coast-to-coast run, which is what I'd estimate a fair number of people attempt.

I would think that a rider could do that 1190 miles in 19 hours...with an average speed of ~62.5 MPH. Add 10MPH to this, and your moving speed is ~72MPH.

1190 miles in 19 hours...a maximum of 12 hours of rest, then 1190 miles in 19 hours is your 50cc. Simple math, and looking at those that have done one, not as difficult ride to execute.

This *really* means that the total rest period duration you have in between those four 1190 mile 'legs' to make a 100ccc must be divided by three!

The likelihood of success for a 50cc as a first ride seems to be pretty decent. The likelihood of success for a 100cc as a first ride seems to be less than ideal.

ScottAL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Using your riding speed assumptions, you would have 12 hours rest on each 50cc leg. In other words 24 hrs rest total for the 100ccc, riding 76 hrs, resting 24 using your other assumptions. Ride 19, rest 6, ride 19, rest 8, you have 48 hours to complete. You can stop for 6 or 7 hrs and have time to spare. Seems simple enough but maybe I'm forgetting what a first ride is like.

Last edited:

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Understanding the math I think it makes sense to do at least a SS1000 before attempting the CC, just for the purpose of getting use to doing the documentation. It appears he has done some long rides so sitting in the saddle doing the ride certainly seems doable. but the practice of documenting the ride and the lessons learned there could prove invaluable. It's been a while but I remember the uncertainty I felt documenting my first certified ride. I had done enough long days that I wasn't to concerned with doing the miles as making sure I documented the miles.

Remember you not only have to do the ride you have to document it.

Garage Monster

Premier Member
IBA Member
I think it is important to remember that all things are easy sitting in front of your computer. I did my 50CC 2 years ago after almost a year of planning. I had to plan when to go as I am still fully employed. The ride commenced in the middle of April and weather reports kept getting worse as the day approached but i was burning vacation time. I chose the longer route from Santa Monica, CA to Tybee Island, GA for variety.

On paper the ride was easy. In the end I finished in a little over 45 hours and I have never been so cold in my then 71 years as I was when I stopped for 6 hours sleep in Reno, OK and the temp was right at freezing and below freezing when I left 6 hours later. It wasn't hard, but it did take some determination to continue on.

It does get in your blood. If I can retire soon I want to do the 48 states in 10 days. Sounds like fun.
Good luck to you.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Using your riding speed assumptions, you would have 12 hours rest on each 50cc leg. In other words 24 hrs rest total for the 100ccc, riding 76 hrs, resting 24 using your other assumptions. Ride 19, rest 6, ride 19, rest 8, you have 48 hours to complete. You can stop for 6 or 7 hrs and have time to spare. Seems simple enough but maybe I'm forgetting what a first ride is like.
Yes, but that's 12 hours max. Like every ride has, it's a game of time management skills. How well do you (or the OP) manage your time efficiently to succeed?

Again, I didn't bake into any of those estimates the amount of time needed at fuel stops, bio breaks and other stops along the way.

My intention with the reply is to have the OP (or anyone else...) just consider what it takes to ride ~4800 miles in under 100 hours.

It does get in your blood. If I can retire soon I want to do the 48 states in 10 days. Sounds like fun.

Good luck to you.
The 48 State ride was my retirement ride...and it was so fun, I'd consider doing it again!

I have a theoretical question regarding a CCC100. Since I live in KCMO, I have to ride to Jax or SD to start a CC50. If I start and complete from KC, within the time allowed, would that be considered CCC? It’s basically starting in the middle of the route. And it’s considerably longer than Jax-SD-Jax.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I have a theoretical question regarding a CCC100. Since I live in KCMO, I have to ride to Jax or SD to start a CC50. If I start and complete from KC, within the time allowed, would that be considered CCC? It’s basically starting in the middle of the route. And it’s considerably longer than Jax-SD-Jax.
Asked and answered a few times in the past. Short answer: No.

Longer answer: This is one of our rides with specific geographical start and end points. It's called a Coast-to-Coast ride because it starts and ends on the coasts. It is not called the Kansas City-to-Coast-to-Coast-to-Kansas City ride. Yes, you are at a disadvantage on this ride,just like anyone not living in Key West or Deadhorse being at a disadvantage on a UCC.

As an aside, it's about 1,500 miles from Kansas City to San Diego and about 1,000 miles from Jacksonville, FL to Kansas City. So you could do a Bun Burner between KC and the west coasts and/or an SS1K between Jacksonville and KC.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:
ahhh, what’s in a name? A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. I did try a search first. Couldn’t find the appropriate keywords I suppose. Ya don’t know if ya don’t ask. Thanks Ira.