1st attempt @ Scooter Insanity Gold

Made my way down to S. Florida for some warmer weather. Took an 85 Honda Elite 150 and an 86 Honda Elite 250. The former was a bit of a basket case whereas the 250 was a daily that needed some TLC. Did enough testing with them up north to clock 58-59 mph on GPS for the 150 and about 72-73 on GPS for the bigger one. Doing some rough numbers and looking at the Florida Keys 1000, figured the 10 required fuel stops 100 miles away from each other would gobble up an honest hour, so a moving average in 23 hours would be 43.5 mph.

Both bikes could do that speed comfortably all day, at least in theory, especially with full synthetic in the engines and thicker 75w90 in the gearbox along with fresh coolant. Strapped em both down and made my way. Picked up a 61 y/o buddy who was closer to 200 lbs along the way so he could try his hand at it on the 250 while I figured I'd rough it on the 150 since I'm lighter. The 250 did get new rollers with near stock weights while the 150 got a new belt since it was pretty wore. Both bikes sported $6 milk crates on the back luggage racks so we could bring snacks, water, sunblock and an empty gas can should 2 gallon fuel tanks somehow not be able to yield 100 miles.

Looking at the 3 days we had to try it, it looked like the best we could get was a 12 hour dry run followed by projections from all over the Keys of significant rain for the next day or 2. Hydrated and ate, we got ready that morning to give it a shot with both bikes topped off. We had an initial start point at around the half way point, figuring if we ran into issues we would, at most be 50 miles from where we would want to be. Warmed up the bikes and went west to Key West.

Jim on the 250 is a very experienced rider, MSF instructor, Bonneville Land Speed racer, former roadracer, dabbles in many 2 wheel forms basically. He said it was smooth sailing for him, which it seemed to be as crosswinds over the infamous 7 mile bridge didn't seem to move him around as much as it did me. The 150, with a couple inches shorter wheelbase and about 50 lbs lighter danced a bit more. Even fully tucked in to get my head out of the wind it was what it was. Lively and really kept you focused on the task at hand, which was staying full throttle getting a best of 62-63 on longer downhill sections.....which was enough to not have the car in front pull away but not be able to shake the car behind me either. Some mental math told me if I could mantain close to 60 on the longer sections it would help compensate for potential traffic or congestion in the slower parts between bridges. Let me tell you, having it that topped out for majority of those 50 miles (certain sections dropped to 45 but 55 sections meant full throttle and some tucking) I was impressed with the engine not missing a beat.

Somewhere around the Key West section as we stretched and putted around in town I noticed my speedometer stopped working. Cable was still attached to the speedo drive so it was likely a problem with something coming loose inside the back of the speedo assy. I asked Jim how his situation was and he said the motor seemed more noisy. We checked oil level and it seemed ok. No smoking .... figured without a functioning speedo there is no functioning odometer for the 150....so we basically called it quits and just rode to enjoy the scenery.

Some interesting fuel consumption data we found was that given how often the 150 was pegged out we would routinely top off gas and note we were within 0.1 gallons of each other. So even though the 250 isn't as fuel efficient....at the top speed of a 150, its pretty evenly matched. Certainly the 250 is the better vehicle for attempting 1000 miles in 24 hours but I figured it would be more bragging rights and "gangsta" to tough it out on the 150.

Some thoughts on a probable 2nd attempt in the future:

1) Windshields. Approaching 24 hours of continuous riding wears you out. My previous iron butts was on a sport touring sportbike with a taller windshield. Does wonders for fatigue and just blasting around for an hour or 2 topped out I could see how fatigue could ramp up faster than initially projected. So long as the 150 doesn't lose much if any speed may give it a shot. I can't afford to have the 150 even lose 1 or 2 mph truth be told without holding up traffic though should the windshield steal aero. Sitting up sometimes and tucking in and logging how much/little speed dropped, I think it won't make much difference.

2) A 3 to 4 hour mini-tour on each prior to going to iron out all the little bugs. I think in the back of my mind so long as I was in the keys enjoying myself I didn't feel as pressured to complete it. But its a long drive back and I think next outing I want to ensure everything goes smoothly.

3) Shaving down the seat bump in the middle between rider and passenger section. The 150 already has a torn seat so it would be easy to justify trying it on that one. There were times when I wanted to stretch out and if I sat where the passenger sat then my right leg couldn't reach the rear brake pedal without scooting back up. I think over the long haul a touch more creature comfort will pay off big. Sitting ON the hump is doable but not super fun for longer distances. Jim said he could live with the 250's seat and its not all torn up so will likely leave that alone.

4) More stretching. While the run was short lived, if I had to do that for 24 hours I could see back fatigue setting in. There is nowhere to lean forward on like a fuel tank and you can't lean back against something like you can on the Honda Helix 250.

5) Blocking off a week instead of 3 days to try it. More days would in theory allow for cherry picking a dry 24 hour section. Also allows for more relax time before trying it. Driving 1200 miles to then try 1000 miles on a scooter isn't optimal.

All in all good times. Trying to upload photos but keeps saying they are too large.

A.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Good on you for sharing your attempt. Most scooters will actually pick up a little speed with a windscreen, not lose any. The dynamics of a scooter riding position are indeed different from a motorcycle, so do what you can to increase your riding position comfort. Barring mechanical issues, doing a Scooter SS1K is really about just wanting it enough. ;) That said, Key West would not be my first choice. It gets slower and slower the closer you get to KW. Good luck on any future attempts! And watch out for the mythical Key Deer.

Dogpoope

Premier Member
Thanks for sharing. This helps a lot to plan for my Frozen SS1K attempt.

Most worried about ice up here. Roads can be dry and nice but from nowhere you get 300 yards, a mile or maybe even longer with solid ice, black as the road and impossible to see. I can take the cold (-18C on winter solstice and down to -50 and even 60C with windchilling but clothes managed it) but ice scares me enough to wait and check weather reports for a less risky attempt.

Good on you for sharing your attempt. Most scooters will actually pick up a little speed with a windscreen, not lose any. The dynamics of a scooter riding position are indeed different from a motorcycle, so do what you can to increase your riding position comfort. Barring mechanical issues, doing a Scooter SS1K is really about just wanting it enough. ;) That said, Key West would not be my first choice. It gets slower and slower the closer you get to KW. Good luck on any future attempts! And watch out for the mythical Key Deer.
Yea aero is a funny thing like that. On one of the longer downhills I experimented with full upright vs half tuck vs eyeballs barely above the gauges (screen is a factory short style black one, maybe like a couple inches tall). I didn't get as much difference as I thought. Standing on my footpegs I can get about 175 mph, sitting upright about 184/185 mph and fully tucked in 195.6 on gps on my ZX-12. The elite 150 seems like its gearing and hp is kinda what it is. It doesn't seem to be as aero dependent. Not saying I don't pick up fully tucked, I do. But its not much. Aeros on the 150 aren't as good as the 250. The 250 is sleeker, the 150 has a flip up front headlight and frontal area up top is actually wider, kinda like E.T.'s head, lol.

My thoughts on taking a crack at it in the Keys was that the weather is warm enough usually and that 55 mph posted limits on most of it plays into the peak abilities of the 150. There are other places I could try it but the 150 is definitely noticeably tougher than the 250 just by virtue of having that 10+ mph add'l on top. Figured it would be a 2 for 1, nested ride. As far as the 35 mph part in Key West, I wouldn't be deep in Key West forever. Just to top off the gas and get back on it towards Largo. Having gone back and forth, there are more 55/45 spots that ensure being able to maintain a high enough mathematical speed to make it happen. 55 sections had everyone and me about 60. And 35 sections one can always bend to 40 or so. LOL at Key Deer no $hit. I haven't seen one damn one there lol. How do they survive with Crocs, gators, pythons, and anacondas, lol.

Thanks for sharing. This helps a lot to plan for my Frozen SS1K attempt.

Most worried about ice up here. Roads can be dry and nice but from nowhere you get 300 yards, a mile or maybe even longer with solid ice, black as the road and impossible to see. I can take the cold (-18C on winter solstice and down to -50 and even 60C with windchilling but clothes managed it) but ice scares me enough to wait and check weather reports for a less risky attempt.
Brother that is cold cold. I would think twice about trying it if you are gonna be dealing with black ice. 15 years or so ago I had a Yamaha Riva 180cc scooter. Was on a back road. Thought I had everything going well....man I was on my @ss in the blink of an eye. No warning. Wasn't like a track day where you have some warning a tire may be going out, or maybe in the dirt world you can sorta feel it. Ice, BAM you're down period you ain't catching it. Throttle, brake, steering, etc all kinda doesn't matter you're down. Just my 2 cents.

The 250 elite I took actually had heated grips, dunno why someone installed em. But as long as you can get out of the wind, heated grips/gloves and a balaclava for the neck area its doable.

Just be careful with it, maybe check routes or days that it would be warmer than that. Does it ever get to above freezing any time of year from where you're at?

Dogpoope

Premier Member
@shiphteey I hear ya brother, we were on our @sses almost immediatly when we encountered that on midwinter. Helmet and the other protection took the hit but I will never again want to experience the feeling of skidding down the highway doing 75, in darkness, for over 100-150 yards on my back with my ride flipping next to me, praying that cars behind me acctually brakes and get out of the way.

Regarding temperature; we have pretty nice summers over here. Some years long period of 25C and some days even above 30C. But during winter its mostly below freezing between oct/nov to feb/march. The idea though is to see if it's doable at all. Noone here has been crazy enough to try and definitly not with a little 150cc scooter. For some reason I think the NRR-patch would be more of an honor than something bad to recieve and this Frozen ride on a tiny scooter might be crazy enough to qualify.

With that said, yes I might be crazy but Im not suicidal so I wont do an attempt if black ice most likely appear on the route.

Yea there seems to be a fine line with crazy and iron butt riders. But its no different than the land speed racing world, probably the road race world, drag race world. Just people looking to chase that high and make their mark on the world.

Which 150s are you looking at?

70 mph is pretty good. I just looked up your bike that seat looks pretty plush. The 150 and 250 elites I fielded don't have as nice of a seat, that's for sure. Its interesting how some of the speeds vary so much between these scooters. I've clocked the following on stock scooters:

Yamaha Zuma 125 fuel injected -- 55 mph
Honda Elite 150 Deluxe -- 58 mph -- up to 62/63 in the keys long steady downhill.
Yamaha Riva 180 -- 72 mph.
Honda elite 250 -- 72/73 mph.

Best of luck to you. Its definitely bragging rights on a sub 300cc scooter. Embrace the pain!

Dogpoope

Premier Member
I havent got yet how thirsty she is but I hope she goes somewhere between 0,2-0,3L per 10km (yes, I suck at calculate miles per gallon). That would give me 20-30miles per Liter and 140-200miles (with some to spare before empty). 6 stops would definitly do it with only 1h lost there. Maybe 20-22h total if it holds up and I can get rid of the ice.. on the road at least :)