2016 RT-specific Auxiliary Fuel Tank Need

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
K, so after doing about a billion IBA rides (it just seems like that- the actual number is probably slightly lower, lolZ), my initial plan of carrying a 3-gallon RotoPax fuel can to extended my range between getting DBRs didn't quite pan out as I would've liked.

So now I am looking to get a proper auxiliary cell mounted for my 2016 RT.

I know that Maple Farkles made them and had a few different mounting options for it (pillion, luggage rack), but he's out of business (though he transferred his stuff to a shop in Ohio). I also know about Boyd Welding in the F-L-A.

What I would like is to see some pictures of someone who has a pillion-mounted tank on a current-generation RT, specifically, and, in general, custom designs current-gen RT owners may have come up with.

To the point, I recognize the value of these auxiliary fuel tanks but I am less than enthusiastic about their aesthetics- something about having this beautiful bike and then plopping some ghetto-looking tank and the associated tubing/valves/etc, on it, doesn't sit well with me. In some other threads, I've read how some got an upholsterer to create a cover for it, and that's a great idea, but there's something about having this ungainly-looking fill tube just sticking out that's off-putting in my eyes.

If you know of a quality custom builder who is also aware of IBA rules/requirements on these things, I'd appreciate receiving their information as well.

TIA

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Let me know what you find out? I want to mount a seat rack for camping gear on my 2014 RT.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert
You're wanting to mount a seat rack? Maple Farkles made such a system, but he's out of the game. He sent all of his work to Preston Machine and Fab in Newark, OH.

As for me, I've heard good things about Boyd Welding in Florida. He has some generic stuff available but will custom-build something that you design (you have to have it complete- no fudging). Right about now, they are on a break until the new year.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As for me, I've heard good things about Boyd Welding in Florida. He has some generic stuff available but will custom-build something that you design (you have to have it complete- no fudging). Right about now, they are on a break until the new year.
Boyd Welding made my aux tank which was a custom design for my Sportster. They did good work

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Chris,
I understand, but without a go by I can't 'tell' or show Boyd anything. I'm trying to contact some local shops that I can bring the bike to them to so they have something to start from. Since Walt at the shop in Ohio doesn't have any go bys it would be useless for me to try long distance wise describe dimensionally EXACTLY what I need to anyone, because theu won't have a bike to go by.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Boyd may not be able to do anything without a drawing, but the guy in Ohio should have all of Maples designs and Maple did a lot of stuff for the RTs. Have you already asked?
Yes. The guy in Ohio said he received and empty box of go bys from Mike. And he’s short handed and busy and gave me the impression that he’s not in a hurry to start making Mike’s products.
Without go bys I will keep searching locally.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Thanks. But really all I want is a set of brackets to made a seat rack for my camping gear. I already have a aux cell like these. I had. BMR rack for my 2012 RT but it won’t fit my 2014 RT.
I very much appreciate the help.
Robert