2017-06-02 Moscow

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Have just 'applied' using the BTA link provided by Phil - will advise as to progress.
So far, the application has only asked for my name and some contact details.
Worst case, I am intending to get to Ludza early afternoon on 31st so will have time to trawl around looking for insurance.
Also, if BTA doesn't work out, I will try contacting the hotel to see if they can help locate a local broker.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just tried RAC and they quoted me for bike insurance but could not find an underwriter to provide Green Card cover for Russia.
Phil, do you know which underwriter RAC are using for the bike insurance and green card they provided for you?

Has anyone pursued cover with BTA Latvia yet and clarified what they provide?

(I am also currently Carole Nash and they will not do Russia cover - same story from a couple of others I tried)
Still waiting for green card for Russia but they charged me £45 for it I'll bring details to work tomorrow and chase it.

jaybee

Premier Member
Just got off the phone with BTA - they will only do Green Card insurance for Latvian registered vehicles - NOT British ones.
Though they do have an office in Ludza. Street address is Baznicas 42.

jaybee

Premier Member
Just got off the phone with Alex Nikorov (name dropped you Phil).
Basically, he did some research and now agrees that only UK insurers can / will issue green cards for UK bikes.
He did, however, say that insurance is NOT needed at the border. He has had several groups that forgot to get it and it wasn't a problem. That said, insurance IS mandatory if you get stopped by the police for any reason so........

Alex has a contact in the insurance world and said that if we are desperate, he could arrange local Russian insurance - so not a green card but the same insurance that the locals all have. He would need Owners name, Bike make and model, registration number and VIN. He could email us copies and give us the originals at some point in Moscow.
All of that said, I think he would rather we try and find a green card provider.

jaybee

Premier Member
Knopf tours will do Russia but 30 days is the minimum and it costs a salty €210.
I contacted a bunch of underwriters in the U.K. And all say No to Russia.
I also contacted RAC and they categorically denied covering Russia........perhaps Phil you just bought EU green card cover as the person selling it made a mistake. If you are covered, please let us know who the underwriter is.

I'm going back to Alex to see how much his local cover might be.

jaybee

Premier Member
Got this from Alex Nikonov:
I have asked exactly what he needs in terms of passport and registration document i.e. how many pages.
Also asked if he would be willing to do a block purchase for others of us who choose this option.

Hi Jonathan,

I checked with our insurance company - they said price is approx 16-17 EUR for 14 days insurance, but:
1) I must visit their office in personal. For cars its ok to do online, but for bikes they need personal presence of someone
2) They need officially translated copy of your passport and registration document for motorcycle with attorney signature on it. I checked what is the price - around 15 EUR per document with all confirmations

So the total price seems to be around 45 EUR per insurance per bike/person + 5 EUR for beer to my colleague who will do that as I am leaving towards Vladivistok tomorrow in the morning.

What do you think about this?

Best regards,
Alexander Nikonov

jaybee

Premier Member
Yes Alex will look after others of us.
If you want to take up the offer then I'll act as middleman and you can email me separately a scan or photo of your passport - just the main photo page - and the 1st two pages of your V5. I'll email Alex all in one go.
I'll pay for everyone and get it back from you later.
Obviously time is getting short so please let me have your details by close of play Thursday.
My email: [email protected]

Mikehi

Thanks for your efforts on this Jonathan - I tried a whole bunch of brokers with a negative from all - I will therefore be happily taking up the offer from Alex. I will email the necessary to you today.

Did he provide any info on the cover that this provides - Third Party, TPF&T, Fully Comp.......?

jaybee

Premier Member
He used a Russian word - OSAGO - which is just basic TP liability only and is the legal minimum.

"In order to drive any vehicle in Russia, a driver must have the minimum compulsory third-party liability insurance OSAGO Obyazatelnoe strahovanye avtograzhdanskoy otvetstvenosti, colloquially known as avtotsivilka"

I believe fully comp might be possible but not sure if we can arrange that 'remotely' and I suspect that it won't be cheap.
I will ask though.

jaybee

Premier Member
I got an answer: fully comp is not possible for motorcycles at all in Russia - not even for Russians!
So TP it will have to be.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Knopf tours will do Russia but 30 days is the minimum and it costs a salty €210.
I contacted a bunch of underwriters in the U.K. And all say No to Russia.
I also contacted RAC and they categorically denied covering Russia........perhaps Phil you just bought EU green card cover as the person selling it made a mistake. If you are covered, please let us know who the underwriter is.

I'm going back to Alex to see how much his local cover might be.
I have the green card and it definitely covers Russia. Ageas insurance. Tel: 0161 834 9888

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Got my visa. Booked tunnel. Booked Moscow hotel leaving Tuesday morning . I'll be there Thursday night.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Things have changed a little since my first review of terror threats along the route:

UK - Critical
France - attacks are very likely
Belgium - attacks are very likely
Netherlands - attacks are likely
Luxembourg - attacks can't be ruled out
Germany - attacks are very likely
Poland - attacks can't be ruled out
Belarus - attacks can't be ruled out
Lithuania - attacks can't be ruled out
Latvia - attacks can't be ruled out
Estonia - attacks can't be ruled out
Finland - attacks can't be ruled out
Russia - attacks are very likely

Take your pick, where do you fancy not being scared?

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Been in contact with IBA Russia's president Dmitriy Balaev, he recommend us to meet (them) here, bikes can be parked for short time photo session.

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Also Dima recommended for eating out - if wish/have time - local bikers meeting point Honky Tonk Road House https://www.facebook.com/pages/Honky-Tonk-Road-House/221855811234303

That's not close to hotel so needs some use of metro or riding, but just everyone to know, looks nice place

And a question, friday afternoon is very hard traffic time in Moscow, so it's not going to be very relaxing ride to center. Dima asked if we would like to meet some 50 km from Moscow and he would lead group to red square ?