2017-06-02 Moscow

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Moscow traffic can be something none have experienced before, with bad luck (= accidents + road works) like this

That's why necessary to plan beforehand how to be in meeting point at same time, especially if trying alone first time there, our bikes with panniers are not easiest to splitting lanes if have to. I have had several business trips where had to leave office to Sheremetyevo airport 40 km away 4-5 hours before...and my local colleagues spend every day hours getting office and back home )

Last edited:

AyrtonO

Premier Member
thanks, just this guiding question is important to agree quickly - does anybody wish to meet locals outside Moscow and have guidance to center in a group, or do we just agree to meet each other at square ? Can give Dimas phone but his english is bit soso ) And also, do we have dinner at hotel or look something else ?

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I have asked Petri to arrange a meetup with the Russians to lead us in from the M9 motorway to a suitable photo-opportunity point on Red Square. Coordinates and timings will be published here as soon as I have them.

Hopefully most of us will already be in Moscow on Friday but a rideout and back in again seems like a good idea to me.

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Just a note for the foreign travellers from Alex Nikonov:

At the border bikes usually comes before cars. I suggest if there would be many cars one of you ride in front and ask if you can come without waiting for cars, 80% they will tell you yes.

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Just a note for the foreign travellers from Alex Nikonov:

At the border bikes usually comes before cars. I suggest if there would be many cars one of you ride in front and ask if you can come without waiting for cars, 80% they will tell you yes.
Exactly. Always pass waiting car lines and stop waiting next to first car on the line. Usually officer will give bikers signal to go on immediately or after little time. But I won't recommend passing first car on the line unless they show to come - such arrogancy might p**s off border officers if they have bad day.

That's why I prefer always bike when visiting Russia - with car sometimes takes hours waiting on border, with bike crossing takes usually only half an hour - passport control and customs documents stamped.

Btw - recommendation - print and fill up+sign that customs declaration document (2 copies) already at home, saves time. Migration card you'll get and have to fill up at border, not available in internet. but have a look how to fill it here (does not matter much what you write on "name of host person" - just something like "hotel Cosmos, Moscow" etc :
http://www.saint-petersburg.com/russian-visa/migration-card-example.jpg

Empty customs document:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gr77nwrivhlxwg/english.pdf?dl=0

and example how to fill:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/19cqr45isx5odmh/rus_decl.pdf?dl=0

this is one sheet, so print it both sides and 2 copies required at border. Both crossed "Entry". Single stamped copy will be given back for returning, do _not_ lose it, without going home gets complicated...

Last edited:

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Sorry chaps - one last question.
Do motorcycles also need to carry a warning triangle?
The RAC site in the UK says all vehicles but I wonder if it just means cars.
Does anyone know?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
and a fire extinguisher. Look on Amazon, can't find the link just now. I have a small, 25cm, plastic triangle which now lives in my topbox. May not be strictly compliant but better (I think) than nothing.

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Warning triangle? Extinguisher? Nono, njet. Nothing extra needed. 90% my visits only registration documents checked plus quick look into panniers. Seldom they want to see proof of valid insurance - green card or similar.

Deamon

President IBA Russia
Hello!
My name is Dmitry Balaev, I live in Moscow, I am a representative of the Association IB in Russia. ,
Ready to meet and spend at the hotel.
This is a great place to meet on the M9. https://www.google.com/maps/place/А...93522a31c673db6!8m2!3d55.8172384!4d37.0177755
Write to Vibers or Vatsap +79257920181
I do not speak English well, but I have a Google translator)))
Shell and Gazprom have free Wi-Fi at large gas stations.
And most importantly, do not forget that in Russia the Asian type of riding, neat!

Last edited:

Flipje

Europe wide traveler
IBA Member
Just checked in my room at Cosmos hotel.
Ate last night with Bob and his two co drivers at hotel Lucia in Ludza.
Left this morning a bit earlier then them as they wished to have breakfast.
Border crossing took 4 hours so I wonder how long it took them ...!
Picked up a Green Card and drove to Moscou.
Weather a bit fresh with a couple of showers, a speed control or two on the way but nothing extra ordinary.
Moscou's traffic looks to me like any traffic in a big capital .....!
Texted Phil to check if he's already there??
PHP