2017 IBA BIG AS TEXAS PARTY October 6-8 Dallas, Texas

Howard Entman

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Announcing the 2017 IBA BIG AS TEXAS PARTY October 6-8 Dallas, Texas

Back by popular demand, we are holding this event again this year October 6-8. We have once again arranged a great program and a new exciting twist on the ride during the event.

For more information, please go to

www.ironbutt.com/texas

As always, we have a limited number of rooms at our host hotel, and our banquet room can only hold a limited number of participants, so please register early.

If you have any questions, contact me at

[email protected]

or call me at

901-230-0922

Howard Entman

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Some folks have written and asked if there will be anything to do other than go on the SaddleSore ride or mini-rally. Well, of course there will be.

For those coming to 'kick tires' with fellow IBAers, there will be ample time on Friday to do just that. While the SaddleSore, Bun Burner Gold and BAT Rally riders are out on Friday evening, there will be a no-host dinner (that means you pay your own way) at a medium price/nice restaurant near the hotel. In prior years, we went to a fantastic barbeque place and to a very good Italian restaurant. Once we know how many of us will be at dinner, our all-knowing Dallas residents will set up a nice place for a group dinner.

Festivities include an award ceremony on Saturday at 4 PM where IBA President Michael Kneebone will present certificates to those riders who completed any of the event rides, Memorial rides, and to those riders doing certificate rides into Dallas for the event. Following this ceremony, at 6 PM we will have a good old fashioned BIG-AS-TEXAS Style Dinner. A cash bar will also be available for those who enjoy an ice cold beverage with your meal. We will have a short presentation after dinner, however the goal of the two day party is to get a chance to meet fellow long-distance riders, share stories of your Memorial Rides, and do some tire kicking as well!

So this year's event will be similar to last year's event, except the rides and mini-rally will present different challenges.

If you haven't registered yet, go to

http://rides.jasonjonas.com
and sign up today.

The event web page at
www.ironbutt.com/texas
has been updated to include this information.

Howard

Howard Entman

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
LISTEN UP!!!!!

Our super low price room deal at our host hotel will expire on Monday.
so if you're even thinking about coming to the Dallas Party, you must sign up now to get the hotel link.

Last year we were able to get rooms for riders right up to the last day, but this year there is a special event in the Dallas area that's booking a bunch of rooms. When they're gone--they're gone.

Soii go to

http://rides.jasonjonas.com

and sign up today.

Howard
901-230-0922

Howard Entman

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Look at the weather forecast for our IBA Dallas Party.

We still have a few seats available for this event. Don't miss out on this great riding opportunity.

If you have any questions, give me a call.

Howard
901-230-0922

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
First off, thanks so much for sending out the Rider Instructions and the Rally Book this week. This is my first rally of any kind and I need all the time I can get to try to figure out how to use the Garmin software for my Navigator V to plot my route.

Question about electronic scoring. The instructions on the Rider Instructions PDF are different than the instructions on the TX Rally Book PDF.

On the Rider Instructions PDF, it says:
ELECTRONIC SCORING INSTRUCTION: Those who choose to use smartphones may take all photos with that device, and email . Those riders using digital cameras for photos are required to fill out a “Claimed Bonus Form”, and be scored manually ...

In the TX Rally Book it says:
Electronic Scoring – The BAT Rally is using email collection of all start/finish and bonus digital photos.
Set your digital camera to name each photograph with the YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.jpg date/time stamp
format.

iPhones don't save photos with YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS format, I've looked for an app that will and ProCamera is the closest I found and all it will do is put the time and date stamp on the photo.

Am I correct in assuming that riders who choose to use Electronic Scoring can use a smartphone to take the pictures and DON'T need to change the file name format before we email it in?

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
First off, thanks so much for sending out the Rider Instructions and the Rally Book this week. This is my first rally of any kind and I need all the time I can get to try to figure out how to use the Garmin software for my Navigator V to plot my route.

Question about electronic scoring. The instructions on the Rider Instructions PDF are different than the instructions on the TX Rally Book PDF.

On the Rider Instructions PDF, it says:
ELECTRONIC SCORING INSTRUCTION: Those who choose to use smartphones may take all photos with that device, and email . Those riders using digital cameras for photos are required to fill out a “Claimed Bonus Form”, and be scored manually ...

In the TX Rally Book it says:
Electronic Scoring – The BAT Rally is using email collection of all start/finish and bonus digital photos.
Set your digital camera to name each photograph with the YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.jpg date/time stamp
format.

iPhones don't save photos with YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS format, I've looked for an app that will and ProCamera is the closest I found and all it will do is put the time and date stamp on the photo.

Am I correct in assuming that riders who choose to use Electronic Scoring can use a smartphone to take the pictures and DON'T need to change the file name format before we email it in?
Craig, I'll be happy to answer these questions.

Feel free to contact me directly for some coaching tip regarding using BaseCamp to get your route into the NavV. My email and phone number are in the instructions.

First, the iPhone smartphone photo naming convention is fixed by the operating system. No worries. Just be sure to include the three letter bonus code and your rally flag number in subject line of the emailed photo and we will figure it out using the time the email is received and the photo meta data. In other words, just use whatever naming convention for pictures taken by your iPhone.

The digital camera reference in the BAT Rally Book applies to both stand alone digital cameras and smartphone digital cameras. If the device allow the user to change the naming convention we would appreciate having digital photos set to the YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS.jpg date/time stamp format. If it can't be changed, or is too difficult to change, just use what you have and we'll use other methods to determine the sequence of the photos.

Riders who are not able to use electronic scoring, i.e. emailing in smartphone photos, are required to do manual scoring the old fashion way. They bring their digital camera and a completed "Claimed Bonuses Form" located in the BAT Rally Book, to scoring between 9am and noon on Saturday morning. It will take all of 5 minutes if everything is in order.

Thanks for the questions

Tim Masterson
BAT Rally Master

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am sure Tim and Howard will be arriving early Thursday and be hanging around the hotel. I will also be arriving early Thursday if anyone has any questions about the rides that I may be able to answer.

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am sure Tim and Howard will be arriving early Thursday and be hanging around the hotel. I will also be arriving early Thursday if anyone has any questions about the rides that I may be able to answer.
Greg, you're hired!

I'll be at the Hilton noon-ish on Thursday. Available for anyone on any subject. We're going to have a FUN BAT Rally

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Need a roomie, I hope. Not sure if I can make it (work!), but just in case if you are a non-smoker in a non-smoking room and want a roomie to share your room costs let me know? I'll know by tomorrow 3OCT15 night.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I had fun. I'll try to attend again next year. Enjoyed getting to know some of the IBR finishers and talk gear and bikes. The ride was fun and I enjoyed seeing parts of Texas I hadn't seen before. Well worth attending. I encourage anyone interested in long distance riding or in meeting other long distance riders to attend next year.