2017 Iron Butt Rally - links to ride reports & blogs

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
John Harrison wrote in the epilogue that he was looking forward to reading folks' ride reports.

So, it might be nice for folks who're writing ride reports to stick their links here to make it easy for folks who want to read ride reports to find them.

Just a thought.

Mine is currently a work in progress over on the Aprilia Forum (imagine that).

CLICK HERE to go there. You don't have to be a member to read it, only to comment. It starts on post #22.

Thanks again to all the IBR staff and volunteers for doing a fantastic job.

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've enjoyed reading both of your ride reports this morning with my coffee. I've been riding for well over 30 years now and have done a few long trips but just recently completed an IBA certified ride last May. (SS1000/BB1500) I was one of the many, I'm sure, that watched the SPOT page multiple times throughout the day and waited for the reports to be posted about the day's events. Sounds like so much fun, and one of these days I will throw my name into the IBR hat, just not ready for all of that organized insanity! My first rally of this sort will be in October for the NIIWIT and I can't wait.

Scott Parish

Premier Member

kevinw

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So, it might be nice for folks who're writing ride reports to stick their links here to make it easy for folks who want to read ride reports to find them.

Just a thought.
Excellent idea. We love reading IBR reports (and any rally/ride reports) but they can be difficult to find.

Mine is currently a work in progress over on the Aprilia Forum
C'mon, GET ON WITH IT! :) I'm really enjoying reading that - you have a great gift for story telling - but I've got to the end which isn't the end yet.

We'd never heard of water intoxication so that's something else to add to our be-wary-of list.

It was nice to finally meet you.

Kevin

Last edited:

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
At Kevin & Lyn, it was great meeting y'all for more than a few minutes!

I'm still working on my ride report but it was treat reading y'all's. Truly an amazing run y'all had.

John Harrison wrote in the epilogue that he was looking forward to reading folks' ride reports.

Just a thought.

Mine is currently a work in progress over on the Aprilia Forum (imagine that).

CLICK HERE to go there. You don't have to be a member to read it, only to comment. It starts on post #22.

Thanks again to all the IBR staff and volunteers for doing a fantastic job.
Great read - looking forward to the end. My years in the Marine Corps, healthcare and currently with the Sheriff's Department Search and Rescue; I knew you were suffering from sodium depletion versus straight dehydration based on your description of taking in large amounts of fluid, voiding frequently, not hungry - and generally feeling terrible. I have seen in frequently when in the field for long periods of time. While Gatorade can be refreshing and useful during short-term periods of exertion - I don't find it beneficial over long periods of time; especially considering the high sugar content. I try to keep a couple boxes of muscle milk in my tank bag to supplement with fruit. Your ability to bounce back after what could have been a very serious electrolyte imbalance is truly amazing. I really admire your approach leading up to; and during the Rally. Thank-you for sharing your experience. I might reach out to you in the future for a routing tutorial. :)

Scott

lynw

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Raven, Just finished your report. You have a great way with words, I can hear you telling the story. It's a shame we didn't get longer to chat whilst we were there, it sounds like you had a great time (except when you weren't!!). Look forward to catching up with you again sometime, we have some great twisties over here you'd love! Lyn

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Steve,
Thanks for providing the addendum. I just wanted to share something with you from my flying experience. In flying, we refer to an accident chain, or a chain of events that lead up to an accident. In your addendum you accurately described the chain of events that lead up to your DNF status. You can also look at it another way, you identified a chain of events that could have lead to an accident and you successfully broke that chain by stopping when you did. I truly feel bad your IBR ended during leg 2, but at the same time I am glad it was not worse. I look forward to seeing you at a rally in the near future.

Chris