2017 Iron Butt Rally Opening of Registration

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hey Ira, the signup form is not working quite right. The State dropdown doesn't list states nor does it allow entry. I've tried Chrome and Edge where the form displays but has the error. In IE11 the form doesn't display at all. Neither does the 'already signed up list'.
We're aware of the problem with some browsers and we're working on it.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
You can even skidaddle to all parts of Europe, if you so desire. Besides the regularly offered rallies in Germany, Sweden, and UK , the second European Tour (5 days all over the continent) takes place this 3-9 September. If anyone can swing it to come across the pond, it is a great rally.

Scott
I Totally agree with Scot, It may only be 5 days but because 20 plus countries are involved different languages its a real challenge, come over for a great experience.
I came 19th on a Triumph Scrambler. What an Adventure.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Having missed one state in 15. I just had to throw my hat on for 17. I can't finish on a DNF after finishes in 13 and 11.

My family bought me a wooden jigsaw puzzle for Christmas. The pieces are the states so I can finally learn where they all are.

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Simple question about the insurance.... Does this insurance (which is the maximum I found) fulfill the requirements for the IBR?

Policy Coverages
Liability: $250,000/$500,000/$100,000
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist / PD: $250,000/$500,000/$100,000

Vehicle Coverages
Comprehensive: $500 deductible
Collision: $500 deductible

RFlagg42

IBR Finisher
Simple question about the insurance.... Does this insurance (which is the maximum I found) fulfill the requirements for the IBR?

Policy Coverages

Vehicle Coverages
Recommend you e-mail Ed Otto if you want an official answer because he is usually the one who will make the final determination during the IBR check-in process: [email protected]

If you're OK with an unofficial answer, the liability coverage you have above is not the same as $500,000 Combined Single Limit (CSL) and does not meet the requirements. All of your other numbers are up to you as there is no required minimum amount of Uninsured Motorist coverage and there is no requirement dealing with the deductible. Having said that, the 2017 IBR rules have not been promulgated and these requirements could change.

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you can't find the 500 CSL, try Progressive. I signed up with them and got the coverage with no problem. NOT an official answer, however it worked for me..

Bill61

Premier Member
Any update on the volunteer form?
I would love to help during the rally. Being new to this I tried to volunteer for this years Butt Lite but the list is already full. It has me wondering if a new guy even has a chance to help at the big dance? I plan to show up anyway just to check it out.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Any update on the volunteer form?
I would love to help during the rally. Being new to this I tried to volunteer for this years Butt Lite but the list is already full. It has me wondering if a new guy even has a chance to help at the big dance? I plan to show up anyway just to check it out.
It's been reported, but showing up is probably your best bet.

We always appreciate volunteer help. Understand, however, that almost all of the IBR volunteer positions are filled by IBR vets, most of whom have been doing the same job for several rallies. But there are always some tasks needing an extra hand. It's one thing to volunteer more than a year before the event. It's quite another to actually show up at the start, checkpoint, or finish. Being there and making yourself available works best.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's been reported, but showing up is probably your best bet.

We always appreciate volunteer help. Understand, however, that almost all of the IBR volunteer positions are filled by IBR vets, most of whom have been doing the same job for several rallies. But there are always some tasks needing an extra hand. It's one thing to volunteer more than a year before the event. It's quite another to actually show up at the start, checkpoint, or finish. Being there and making yourself available works best.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
I'm looking forward to volunteering in order to gain understanding of the logistics of the IBR before I apply to participate.

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member

Policy Coverages

Vehicle Coverages
Hi Philo,

no it doesn't. According to the rules, it has to be 500,000/500,000/100,000.

I had the same problem in 2013 and in the end I had to buy a hyper-expensive additional insurance at Progressive.
I had contacted the IBR rally team in 2015 a couple of times in 2014/2015, but I never received an answer. The problem is that as a non-resident, you only can get the Progressive insurance when you make some incorrect statements. In case of an accident, this would backfire and I'm afraid that despite carrying an insurance paper, you're virtually uninsured.
I hope there could be an exemption from that rule for riders from overseas.
The lacking answer to my concerns was one of the reasons to pull out of the IBR2015.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Hi Philo,

no it doesn't. According to the rules, it has to be 500,000/500,000/100,000.

I had the same problem in 2013 and in the end I had to buy a hyper-expensive additional insurance at Progressive.
I had contacted the IBR rally team in 2015 a couple of times in 2014/2015, but I never received an answer. The problem is that as a non-resident, you only can get the Progressive insurance when you make some incorrect statements. In case of an accident, this would backfire and I'm afraid that despite carrying an insurance paper, you're virtually uninsured.
I hope there could be an exemption from that rule for riders from overseas.
The lacking answer to my concerns was one of the reasons to pull out of the IBR2015.
I'm very surprised that Ed Otto did not address your concern - he's usually very good about that.

I should also point out that we have non-US riders in every IBR. I could be wrong, but I don't think they all have the same problem you had.

So to those of you outside the US who get into the IBR, be sure to address the insurance question early on.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Do I need to resend my name for volunteering for 2017 if I volunteered at 2015?
If you signed up on the volunteer page and you are still listed, you don't need to do so again for 2017.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
I should also point out that we have non-US riders in every IBR. I could be wrong, but I don't think they all have the same problem you had.

So to those of you outside the US who get into the IBR, be sure to address the insurance question early on.
Thanks Ira, indeed this is worthwhile to be addressed. My concern is that foreign riders that rely on the Progressive insurance alone could have a problem. But maybe that's not an issue to be discussed in the public forum...

In the past, some foreign riders were in the comfortable situation to have access to a bike registered in the US. Others went for the Progressive insurance. Luckily, no one of them had an accident....

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
IRA, thanks for the answer. For me as a foreigner, with no bike in Us and Not willing to make uncorrect answer when I buy the insurence (as Robert say it could be "in case of fire" a huge problem) it is a more or less not solving problem. (and we not talking about a horroable price gor the insurance which I post at the beginning). so I would be hapoy if there is a clear answer.... And maybe includea link to a company who is willing to made this insurance....

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Philo, forget it :( There isn't any. The only proper solution is the temporary insurance from Motorcycle Express which is the 250k/500k/100k. I really do hope that there could be an exemption from this rule by accepting this policy.
I have ridden through many exotic countries without a valid insurance...half of Africa, even Iran....no problem with that....but in the US? No way!;)

If the rules are not changed, there are only two possibilities:
1) You have a buddy in the States who registers and insures your bike in his name. Some of the European veterans are lucky to have that option. I don't. o_O
2) You get the Motorcycle Express insurance which is sufficient to travel the whole of US/Canada. In addition you get the (expensive) insurance from P. that you need for 5 seconds when you show it during the registration to a member of the rally team. :confused:
Be careful what you tell the insurance agent on the phone: one wrong answer and the policy is rejected. The critical answers are not for this forum....:cool: But basically, this insurance is useless.....:oops:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
As I've mentioned before, if you are selected and accept a position on the starting grid, immediately contact Ed Otto. Ed owned an insurance agency for many years and knows this complicated and byzantine business inside and out. He has never failed to come up with a solution that is acceptable for the IBR.

We take the need for proper insurance for the IBR very seriously. So it is more than just needing it "for for 5 seconds when you show it during the registration to a member of the rally team". There have been too many cases where the insurance has been needed as the result of incidents during the rally.

In every rally, there seems to be one or more riders who neglect this until rally tech inspection, whereupon there is a mad scramble to get hold of insurance agents (particularly tough on a weekend, when tech inspection takes place), along with gnashing of teeth and furious faxing. I guarantee that a rider will not be able to leave the starting line without acceptable insurance. Don't let that person be you. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
Ira,

I had contacted Ed in 2013, and he suggested to get the insurance from Progressive which I did. This is all fine for US residents, but IMHO not for people from overseas. I'll send you a PN as I do not want to discuss the details in the public forum.