2017 Iron Butt Rally USA

IBRX3

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
[QUOTE="The Colonel, post: 21234, member: 323"
P.s. I think Kevin & Lynda were the first married couple to finish.[/QUOTE]

There has been married couples who finished in previous rallies.

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
="IBRX3, post: 21253, member: 80"]
="The Colonel, post: 21234, member: 323"
P.s. I think Kevin & Lynda were the first married couple to finish.
There has been married couples who finished in previous rallies.

I think the married couples are being divided into two classes:

A: Married at the start.
B: Still married at the finish.

If the Pillion is an official IBA member (e.g. completed at least one documented/certified ride as the rider or pillion and issued an IBA #) do they also get a 3 digit IBA number for completing the IBR?

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I expect your wondering what happened.
July 4th 930 am. I hit a baseball sized rock on the road north of Eureka. I saw it late but couldn't miss it. The front rim cracked around a spoke and was dented. The rear has a dent on the same side.

No phone signal so a young couple in large pick up gave me a lift into town where there was WiFi in the local store.

There was WiFi but the Pakistani man didn't know code. He said the boss was coming so I waited. Before that worked out the young couple returned with a trailer and we loaded the bike up and took it about 50 miles away to a recovery company. He tried to use his AAA membership but didn't have the right cover so I paid $300 and they took it to a shop in Eureka which of course was closed on Independance day.
Next day bike shop tried to find rims without success so ordered new ones from the nearest triumph dealer in Eureka. One week delivery. I almost bought a $5000 Kawasaki when the mechanic said we could do a deal on his BMWR1100r .
I gave time $3000 and agreed to give it back a week later for $2500. I'm using his insurance he kept the title.

At that point I hoped to grab a couple of bonuses and make the finish ...just. Unfortuanately the bonus was a long detour to avoid dirt then I took a wrong road to southern Idaho during the night and had to stop to rest. I hit the hotel after the banquet started but then I didn't want to sit through that again anyway after 2015. I showered and checked in then chatted to others in the bar after.
I arrived back in Eureka wednesday and the Tiger will be ready later today Friday .
Postponed my flight for a week which had an extra fee but changing airways bill for the bike was FOC.
I'm flying out next thursday arrive heathrow Friday. The wheels were not cheap and I had to buy another months bike insurance.

Lessons learnt. BMW 1760 mile range is not good. No sat nav is not good. Its hard the read notes written on a piece of tape on the tank in the dead of night. No cruise control.....
Now I remember why we farkle bikes.

Lastly no matter what we do.. shit sometimes happens. It only takes one minor error in 11 days to DNF.
Will I do a 5th IBR? Time will tell but I doubt it.

On the way west I stopped at Big Sky Sky resort with Keith and his wife( Who I met in Fowlers Motorcycles a few weeks ago. We went out to dinner with Iron Butt Rally Vets Bob and Sylvia Torter

New road into northern california over the mountains and through the giant redwoods

Phil,

You could have just called it a day, booked in to a hotel and waited for new rims but... you did all you could to carry on.

Well done you!

Jon

Ps at the next RTE I see you at, your meal is on me....

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Jon
Ive ridden 4 Iron Butt Rallies and got to the finish all 4 times. Though this time I was late and last time I visited one too few states

I know you've done a few Phil but this showed something over and above the norm....

Like many I'm sure, I followed your spot and was enthralled as to what happened.. just gald you're ok...

What happened the to Tiger?

Jon

Phil W. said: "Lastly no matter what we do.. shit sometimes happens. It only takes one minor error in 11 days to DNF. "
William S. said: " Smile in the face of adversity"

Good luck
D &W

Last edited:
Phil, I enjoyed reading what happened...sorta'. I'm sorry that S**t happened to you and glad that you worked something out to make it feel a bit better. I'm glad you got to see my friends Bob and Sylvie. They're good people.

biquer

Premier Member
I was watching your spot and it was obvious that time was tight, but when you turned south, especially after all you had been through, I thought oh no!