2017 Solar Eclipse 1000

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
2017 Solar Eclipse 1000 and Solar Eclipse 1000 GOLD

Not since 1918 has North America seen an Solar Eclipse of this magnitude and the next one this size is not until 2045, so its time to celebrate with a special set of rides on Monday, August 21, 2017. Order your solar glasses and get ready for a very special ride:

www.ironbutt.org/rides/solar2017.htm

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If I read correctly, only the unique cert will be available. No unique patch, Pin or sticker for the Eclipse 1000 or Eclipse 1000 Gold. Is that correct?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If I read correctly, only the unique cert will be available. No unique patch, Pin or sticker for the Eclipse 1000 or Eclipse 1000 Gold. Is that correct?
Correct. We don't anticipate this ride generating sufficient volume to make patches, pins, etc. financially viable.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ed Pedi

Premier Member
Did it! 1047 in 20 1// hours. Started the ride sitting in totality stopped traffic . With all the construction and traffic jams it didn't look good at the start but as the night went on there was less and less traffic and I was able to make up some time. Got some nice photos of the totality

thekaz

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did one from Blaine WA to Baker City,OR ...... wow actually really hard with serious middle of the night traffic and insane border wait times because of all the astronomer nerds LOL

BigDaddy

Premier Member
Wife and I attempted our ride yesterday. It was going to be her first ever IBA Ride. She was a trooper, as we rode thru hours of hard rain, stopped traffic, in the heat, more bad storms, and finally, 50 miles from home, and the end of our ride, we got a flat tire on the wing... Long story short, we ended up on the back of a flatbed, taking us back to the nearest town, where we had to get an overpriced hotel room for the night. We were both soaked to the bone from all the rain, and neither of us had a change of clothes. Today, our insurance company arranged to have us and the bike picked up, and hauled to our house. What a bummer... The clouds did break just in time for us to see the eclipse tho, so that was good!!

BigDaddy.
I'm sure that was very. VERY disappointing...
I carry one of these on my motorcycle at all times... http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm
That, along with a small 12V compressor I got at Wally World has saved the day twice. The compressor takes a while to air up the tire, so I usually get about 20lbs in it, then head for the nearest fuel station to get it up to running pressure.
This is, without exception the best kit, personally, I've ever found.

Hope you both give it another shot - your wife sounds like a real trooper!!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice pictures everyone. I just rode & forgot to take any pictures. I rode from St George, UT area up I-15 to Idaho Falls to get into the totality zone. Left just a bit early to get ahead of the traffic and had both an empty freeway for the ride South and West to I-84 as well as getting to watch the totality shadow in my mirrors as it chased me for a bit. Sort of like having the four horsemen of the Apocalypse after you!

I think I bought the last 7 gallons of gas from a Texaco station in Nephi on the way up, but no other gas issues during the ride. Had a relaxed ride back South on US-93 from Twin Falls, ID to Panaca, NV before making a jog over on lonely rural hwys to home. ~1150 miles in 19 hours with a bit over 2 hours of stopped time during the ride, mostly for eclipse watching and food during that stop. I don't think I ever rode more than 5 over the posted limit and spent a lot of time being good, right at the posted limit due to very heavy LEO presence.

Ed Pedi

Premier Member
Nice pictures everyone. I just rode & forgot to take any pictures. I rode from St George, UT area up I-15 to Idaho Falls to get into the totality zone. Left just a bit early to get ahead of the traffic and had both an empty freeway for the ride South and West to I-84 as well as getting to watch the totality shadow in my mirrors as it chased me for a bit. Sort of like having the four horsemen of the Apocalypse after you!

I think I bought the last 7 gallons of gas from a Texaco station in Nephi on the way up, but no other gas issues during the ride. Had a relaxed ride back South on US-93 from Twin Falls, ID to Panaca, NV before making a jog over on lonely rural hwys to home. ~1150 miles in 19 hours with a bit over 2 hours of stopped time during the ride, mostly for eclipse watching and food during that stop. I don't think I ever rode more than 5 over the posted limit and spent a lot of time being good, right at the posted limit due to very heavy LEO presence.
Sounds like a great ride. I rode to Sal

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I probably saw you in SLC Ed. We were at the MOA rally too. ;) Hot, hot, hot. We had just spent a month camping and riding all over before that. It was good to get home.

FYI, You can click on edit and tidy up that previous post if you want.

Ed Pedi

Premier Member
FYI, You can click on edit and tidy up that previous post if you want.[/QUOTE]
Thanks I'm trying but it's not easy on this phone
(I'm at the Finger lake rally in NY )

Little late posting been unreal busy. I just sent in my paper work. I left my house north of Dallas afternoon of the 20th. Spent the night in Liberal, KS then up @ 0400 heading to Hyannis, NE, for the shadow. I'd hoped to end the 1000 in North Platte but last minute traffic delays put me behind the 24 hours from home. Fortunately I got a witness in Liberal and a fuel receipt that morning just in case. Glad I did. So Liberal was my start of the SS1000 Gold and I ended up finishing the ride in Oklahoma City 22 hours later. Bonus is that I also landed another BB1500 by using my home as its start.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice! I did my paperwork the old school way, so still waiting on the cert. Mailed it in 8/22 or 8/23.

Last edited: