2020-09-26 Barnard Castle eye test

Sean

Premier Member
This photo does not qualify within the criteria, see Phil Weston's phot for an exemplar image.

The Bonus Location Rules are:

1. You must be on the list, even crossed out counts.
2. You must get a selfie including the Barnard Castle Town Sign at N54.54273 W1.92678
3. The location is open 00:01 Saturday 26th September to 23.59 Sunday 27th September.
4. Image must be posted on here within those times.
5. PM me your postal address and I'll send the patch.

Simples

So actually qualifies better than many of the photos on here

:D:D;)

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Arrived at Barnard Castle at 09:00 Saturday via a 350 mile route avoiding all but 500 yards of dual carriageway and including a lap of the North Yorkshire Moors. Got the 'ardcastle' selfie but couldn't get on the forum to post it :(

On with the plan to ride to Alston, Hartside Top, Penrith and back to Barnard Castle. Tried logging on the forum in Alston and Penrith but still no joy. 100+ miles later and back at Barnard Castle I met ~Martin~ who had posted his selfie without issue and had the idea I log onto the forum via a Wi-Fi connection to his iPhone. I didn't know such things were possible but followed Martin's instructions and in no time my phone again failed to connect to the forum. Eventually we got my selfie posted by emailing it to Marten and he posted it directly from his phone, thanks for your assistance Martin. Conclusion - I need to upgrade my phone to 21st Century compatibility technology.

The ride home was a 350 mile sortie via the Yorkshire Dales and Squires again avoiding dual carriageways as much as possible. A near cropper at the start while enjoying the scenery a couple of miles before Low Row there's a double hair pin bend that nearly caught me out. Riding south the road looked to go straight ahead then there's a fairly sudden dip and your faced with two challenging hair pins. Brake hard, drop gears, brakes off, hold breath, lean in, trust the tyres and again and...

...over the cattle grid and slowly through the cobbled base ford and onward to Hawes at a reduced speed and giving the road ahead a little more attention than the scenery around it. Arrived home at 23.40 after 800 miles and only 140 miles on dual carriageways. My Barnard Castle eye test patch will be a reminder of a great ride and good memories.

Many thanks to the organisers of this challenge.

Barnard Castle selfie.jpeg

Last edited:

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Sean Sowley, thanks for highlighting my rules I made to make the administration of this event easy for me, however my definition of a 'Selfie' is that I should be able to see the self in the image:

"
selfie
/ˈsɛlfi/

noun
  • 1.a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and shared via social media:"
Gordon Sears I can recognise you in your posted photo but not the other two, can you elucidate?

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Today I have been trawling through all the messages and photos and been to my local post box, collection tomorrow at 09:15, with 16 envelopes.

Some have made my task very easy by complying with my rules:

2. You must get a selfie including the Barnard Castle Town Sign at N54.54273 W1.92678
3. The location is open 00:01 Saturday 26th September to 23.59 Sunday 27th September.

If you comply with these five simple instructions then you will receive an envelope on Wednesday with your coveted patch. If your envelope does not arrive I may, but it's unlikely, have made a mistake. So please send your evidence to me of my error and I will review your claim. Bob Stammers will be my final arbitrator as he is a very level headed and I will do as he says.

Thanks for making this in my view a successful event, well I enjoyed it.

Oh and BTW anyone know who this is?

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
JB and Graeme who have already posted. Sorry I didn't stop when you were 'selfieing', but having 'selfied' previously thought the wave would keep us suitably socially distanced.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Today I have been trawling through all the messages and photos and been to my local post box, collection tomorrow at 09:15, with 16 envelopes.

Some have made my task very easy by complying with my rules:

If you comply with these five simple instructions then you will receive an envelope on Wednesday with your coveted patch. If your envelope does not arrive I may, but it's unlikely, have made a mistake. So please send your evidence to me of my error and I will review your claim. Bob Stammers will be my final arbitrator as he is a very level headed and I will do as he says.

Thanks for making this in my view a successful event, well I enjoyed it.

Oh and BTW anyone know who this is?
???

Attachments