2021 IBR

Auburn

Premier Member
this is a option not known to me in the areas i'm use to having Tech inspections for . You pass or fail = Read our book no 2nd chances . So my rule has been follow the book or books . I've personally sent rigs back home after tech inspection for not passing .
Tech Advice Link that suggests strongly that you contact Tom Austin or Dale Wilson if you use a custom aux tank to see if it will be acceptable. This can be done long before you show up to the rally.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
this is a option not known to me in the areas i'm use to having Tech inspections for . You pass or fail = Read our book no 2nd chances . So my rule has been follow the book or books . I've personally sent rigs back home after tech inspection for not passing .
Fortunately, the IBA ia a lot less stick-up-the-ass-ish. You may not initially pass tech inspection, but you are given the opportunity to make it right.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Fortunately, the IBA ia a lot less stick-up-the-ass-ish. You may not initially pass tech inspection, but you are given the opportunity to make it right.
And always helped with what need to be done to correct the situation. It's fairly common for people to even be at the start with tools that can assist. If not, riders have been known to go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy a cheap drill, some hardware, some aluminum flat bar and deal with the issue. Or some ratchet straps. Or, if you're really unfortunate, 21' of chain...

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This makes building a 1st time rig to compete in a IBR difficult as do I follow rules word for word or take a chance with Tech .
Actually, no, it does not. Do the math, put baffles in the tank you're building. You don't want foam unless you absolutely have to use it.

I ran a tank built for me by a friend for the IBR in '13. I did the math on the internal dimensions and emailed it to the head technical inspector well before the rally. When I was doing tech, the tech inspector asked me about it, I told him what I had done, he yelled across the parking lot at the head tech inspector and that individual yelled back, "He's fine". End of conversation. It helped that the cell was done well, mounted solidly and vented/grounded correctly and used a bulkhead fitting to the main tank.

Oh, did I forget to mention I was a tech inspector for the IBR in '19?

You're over thinking things. A. What are you trying to do. B. What's the problem? Feel free to PM.

Do it right and there is no problem. What lost cause are you used to dealing with?

c10

Actually, no, it does not. Do the math, put baffles in the tank you're building. You don't want foam unless you absolutely have to use it.

I ran a tank built for me by a friend for the IBR in '13. I did the math on the internal dimensions and emailed it to the head technical inspector well before the rally. When I was doing tech, the tech inspector asked me about it, I told him what I had done, he yelled across the parking lot at the head tech inspector and that individual yelled back, "He's fine". End of conversation. It helped that the cell was done well, mounted solidly and vented/grounded correctly and used a bulkhead fitting to the main tank.

Oh, did I forget to mention I was a tech inspector for the IBR in '19?

You're over thinking things. A. What are you trying to do. B. What's the problem? Feel free to PM.

Do it right and there is no problem. What lost cause are you used to dealing with?
NHRA / CMRA , and for work NEC / NFPA / OSHA / IBC plus an AHJ of whatever city / county

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
NHRA / CMRA , and for work NEC / NFPA / OSHA / IBC plus an AHJ of whatever city / county
Awesome. Now forget all of that because it doesn't apply to this venue. No one is getting paid to work tech, or trying to fail people. No one makes any money if you fail or if you pass. The riders going thru tech are doing so to ensure a level of uniformity and safety for them and for the others around them. (30 years of OSHA work in machine shops here, btw. And Solo I & II D Mod))

This is the mentality for the IBR technical inspections: The inspectors are there to help you. We are going by the rules and will fail you if you do not meet them, but we will also tell you what to do to pass if you have an issue. We have a lot of combined experience. I've set up multiple bikes for aux tanks and am a machinist and fabricator among other skill sets. Others bring even more experience and different skill sets to the table.

If you fail, you have time to correct the problem(s) and come back to re-do tech. Tech goes on over three days. Most riders finish it on the first day, some choose to do it on the second day, problem people may still be sorting things out on the third day. You are encouraged to deal with the problems and come back because you paid to be there and we want you to ride the IBR.

There are issues that require second level discussions, like any venue. The white plastic tank on the 300X was designed specifically for that application on motorcycles and feeds via a vent line. It's nothing new in performance and as long as it's well mounted, vented and follows the other rules, it's fine.

The main things that get failed are simple issues;

Poor routing of a vent line where it isn't to the back of the bike or dumping away from the rear tire.

Aux tanks that don't pass the 'shake test' for mounting stability.

Vented caps on aux tanks.

No ground wire on plastic tanks or metal tanks that are not grounded via mounting points.

after that we see on rare occasions things like:
fuel hose routed too close to heat areas.
over volume aux tanks.
aux tanks mounted to seat pans (not allowed unless the seat pan is bolted to the bike).
No baffles or foam in larger aux tanks.

If you're building your own cell or having one custom made, put baffles in it, take pictures during the construction to show this. If you're making a complex shape tank that will be difficult if not impossible to physically measure with a tape when it's installed on the bike, do the math for it's volume, print that on a sheet of paper to show the inspector, but you may end up having the tank measured for volume as well. That takes time and is a minor hassle for both the rider and tech staff. Better, arrange well ahead of the IBR to have your tank measured for volume by a IBA technical staff member, usually the head of Tech or a staff member he designates to do this. Depending on location that can be a simple as a meet up in person, or could mean shipping your aux tank to them to be tested. Waiting until the IBR is certainly possible, but most people have over a year after they know their application has been accepted, so there really isn't much excuse for not getting it done ahead of time.

So again, what are you trying to do and what's the problem? What bike, design style, (flat bed, tail dragger, pillion seat, cube, cylinder, complex shape), location on the bike and what features or issues you are concerned with?

c10

Awesome. Now forget all of that because it doesn't apply to this venue. No one is getting paid to work tech, or trying to fail people. No one makes any money if you fail or if you pass. The riders going thru tech are doing so to ensure a level of uniformity and safety for them and for the others around them. (30 years of OSHA work in machine shops here, btw. And Solo I & II D Mod))

This is the mentality for the IBR technical inspections: The inspectors are there to help you. We are going by the rules and will fail you if you do not meet them, but we will also tell you what to do to pass if you have an issue. We have a lot of combined experience. I've set up multiple bikes for aux tanks and am a machinist and fabricator among other skill sets. Others bring even more experience and different skill sets to the table.

If you fail, you have time to correct the problem(s) and come back to re-do tech. Tech goes on over three days. Most riders finish it on the first day, some choose to do it on the second day, problem people may still be sorting things out on the third day. You are encouraged to deal with the problems and come back because you paid to be there and we want you to ride the IBR.

There are issues that require second level discussions, like any venue. The white plastic tank on the 300X was designed specifically for that application on motorcycles and feeds via a vent line. It's nothing new in performance and as long as it's well mounted, vented and follows the other rules, it's fine.

The main things that get failed are simple issues;

Poor routing of a vent line where it isn't to the back of the bike or dumping away from the rear tire.

Aux tanks that don't pass the 'shake test' for mounting stability.

Vented caps on aux tanks.

No ground wire on plastic tanks or metal tanks that are not grounded via mounting points.

after that we see on rare occasions things like:
fuel hose routed too close to heat areas.
over volume aux tanks.
aux tanks mounted to seat pans (not allowed unless the seat pan is bolted to the bike).
No baffles or foam in larger aux tanks.

If you're building your own cell or having one custom made, put baffles in it, take pictures during the construction to show this. If you're making a complex shape tank that will be difficult if not impossible to physically measure with a tape when it's installed on the bike, do the math for it's volume, print that on a sheet of paper to show the inspector, but you may end up having the tank measured for volume as well. That takes time and is a minor hassle for both the rider and tech staff. Better, arrange well ahead of the IBR to have your tank measured for volume by a IBA technical staff member, usually the head of Tech or a staff member he designates to do this. Depending on location that can be a simple as a meet up in person, or could mean shipping your aux tank to them to be tested. Waiting until the IBR is certainly possible, but most people have over a year after they know their application has been accepted, so there really isn't much excuse for not getting it done ahead of time.

So again, what are you trying to do and what's the problem? What bike, design style, (flat bed, tail dragger, pillion seat, cube, cylinder, complex shape), location on the bike and what features or issues you are concerned with?
Triumph Tiger 1200 XCX is easy for fuel tap as it has a fuel drain to tie into . Removal of a Tiger tank requires draining tank so Triumph made it very easy . That makes feeding the tank from Aux easy on the rear rack via gravity . Rack is alum , and tank considered also alum .
link to example considered . https://www.ebay.com/itm/254999354644

The unit on the 300X is also considered . It is a 1.6 gal unit but neither have baffles ( so foam would be needed )

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
That's the one thing I miss from my ST1300 - it was crazy simple to plumb an aux tank into the system. There was a bolt right there on the plate, almost like Honda designed the bike for auxiliary fuel.

My Gold Wing - while not in any way impossible to plumb up correctly - doesn't have that one tiny luxury.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Triumph Tiger 1200 XCX is easy for fuel tap as it has a fuel drain to tie into . Removal of a Tiger tank requires draining tank so Triumph made it very easy . That makes feeding the tank from Aux easy on the rear rack via gravity . Rack is alum , and tank considered also alum .
link to example considered . https://www.ebay.com/itm/254999354644

The unit on the 300X is also considered . It is a 1.6 gal unit but neither have baffles ( so foam would be needed )
You likely will not need to put foam in the 1.6 Gal plastic one if you do that. It's simply too small to impact much with 'slosh'.

If you show up to the IBR tech with the ebay tank, you'll fail tech for the vented cap and no vent/overflow line. You would need to add a non-vented cap and a hose fitting for an overflow line, preferably, (but not required), with a tip over/check valve. And I strongly urge you to consider a higher quality square or rectangular tank. Nearly all of the cylinder tanks are not the capacity they advertise them at. Might be lower, usually are higher, how much, who knows? Probably not enough to matter at that size.

Don't take this the wrong way, but what's the point of adding aux fuel if you're not going to get into the 11 gallon range for total fuel load? It is a cost effective solution to get a little more range.

All this said, there are no rules regarding aux fuel for IBA certificate rides, only for the Iron Butt Rally itself.