2022 SantaSore 1000

Speedywho

Premier Member
I had some time available yesterday since the wife had to work(healthcare). So I planned a SantaSore 1000 on a quick and easy route that kept me in warmer areas of the Southwest, while on higher speed limit highways. I needed to be home for a late dinner so I left at 1:09am and got underway. Once I left PHX there was no one on the road for the entire ride down I-8 it was smooth sailing. The early highlight was I-5 N from San Diego up past Burbank. I was there between 5-7am, no traffic at all. I cruised north a pace that I didn't think was possible on that route. north bound was a breeze. Weather was comfortable and clear over the Tejon Pass, then it came to an abrupt halt about 5 miles north of Grapevine were the 99 and I-5 split. SOLID Fog and the temps dropped 25*. I needed to get up to the 223 then I'd head east up out of the valley towards the 58 to Tehachapi. Visibility was extremely limited and the temps bottomed out at 33* as I climbed out of the valley. I wasn't sure if it was going to burn off by mid morning or hang around all day. "Worlds Toughest Riders" was in the back of my head so I decided to proceed at a slow and safe speed to get outta there without issue. Just before the Bakersfield National Cemetery on 223 I successfully climbed out of the fog and it was Glorious!! I stopped for a picture and rejoiced for a minute then carried on. The feeling over raising above the fog was amazing and a humongous relief. The rest of the ride was smooth and uneventful. I got home just before the wife and I made a nice dinner for us and all was right in my world. Such a great adventure.

1672074655468.png 1672074901555.png

Speedywho

Premier Member
I already submitted this ride LOL

Temps were between 33* Arvin, CA and 81* near Kingman, AZ. Pretty nice since most of the country was a Polar Nightmare for the last week.

As I mentioned "Worlds Toughest Riders" was in my head as I weighed my options between proceeding in the fog or waiting it out and seeing what happens. To me being Tough also means being wise in adverse conditions. Knowing when to pump the brakes and assess the situation makes you Tough and will keep you safe to experience the next challenge.