2022 Scavenger Hunts / Grand Tours

Murphyau

The US based Glacial Lakes Motorcycle Club have been running a Grand Tour since 2009, and have published details of their 2022 event.

The theme for this year is "Planes, Trains & Automobiles", and this event is very, very "doable" from here in Oz.

The Grand Tour runs from 1-March to 30-September, 2022.

Full Details, Q&A, and Rules are at http://www.glmc.org/grand_tour.php

Last edited:

Murphyau

( edit)

I just saw the following on the Team Strange Facebook page . . . .

Grand Tours!! We got'em! We'll be doing another (Inter) National Grand Tour with a really fun theme. Watch for registration to open up soon.

Last edited:

Murphyau

Team Strange have just announced the 2022 Trails to Rails Grand Tour.

Of special interest is that they are going to keep score this year, and besides having an Overall Champion, they are also going to declare Regional Champions in the US., Canada, Australia, and the Rest of the World.

It runs from 1-April 2022 to 15-November 2022.

Complete Rule details are at https://tinyurl.com/Trails2Rails

Last edited:

Murphyau

It would seem that great minds think alike in looking to combining the Glacial Lakes GT and the TeamStrange GT.

As Hannibal Smith of A-Team fame once said, " don't you just love it when a plan comes together "

( edit #1 ) don't you just hate it when your perfect plan goes up in smoke/ steam and turns to k-rap. Oh well, back to the drawing board and a lot more research.

( edit #2 ) "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus". My perfect plan which had turned to k-rap last week, has been resurrected, albeit in reverse. They have just announced not 1 but 2 very special steam train event for 2022, here in NSW.

( edit #3 ) One of the very special steam train events I had penciled into my ride plans has now been cancelled for 2022, and another has been postponed till late July due to La Nina. Oh well, back to the drawing board, again.

Last edited:

Murphyau

Lobo Loco has started to release information regarding his 2022 schedule, with the first scavenger hunt planned for Friday, 13-May. No other details have yet been released, so I am not sure if "international" participation is possible. ( edit ) 13-May event is not open to "internationals".

Lobo Loco has also stated that he will have a new website soon.

Last edited:

tabledrain

IBR Finisher
It would seem that great minds think alike in looking to combining the Glacial Lakes GT and the TeamStrange GT.

As Hannibal Smith of A-Team fame once said, " don't you just love it when a plan comes together "

( edit #1 ) don't you just hate it when your perfect plan goes up in smoke/ steam and turns to k-rap. Oh well, back to the drawing board and a lot more research.

( edit #2 ) "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus". My perfect plan which had turned to k-rap last week, has been resurrected, albeit in reverse. They have just announced not 1 but 2 very special steam train event for 2022, here in NSW.

( edit #3 ) One of the very special steam train events I had penciled into my ride plans has now been cancelled for 2022, and another has been postponed till late July due to La Nina. Oh well, back to the drawing board, again.
Nothing like having trail of destroyed ride plans to build confidence you know how to build ride plans. DAMHIK.

Murphyau

Lobo Loco has just replied that the 13-May event is not open to "international" participants. However, the July 15-17 and October 14-16 events (still to be announced) will be open to us "outsiders".

thommo

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for these updates, they’re really helpful. I’ll register and I might see some of you at airports, railway stations, race tracks and anywhere you find steam trains.
The TeamStrange Grand Tour has a bonus here in Oz - the Centenary of Trans Australian Railway Monument in SA. -30.4585, 131.8343
Not sure about taking the FJR out there!
I wouldn't advise taking an FJR out there, Adventurous souls only! I've been out Kingoonya, Googs etc. A lot of public access along the rail line service road has been stopped if not all these days. The shortest wasy is to come up from Yalata, but I'm most certainly not up to date if any permits are required or if access is even allowed at the moment.

The best way there is to take the train and ask them to make a quick stop!

Murphyau

I wouldn't advise taking an FJR out there, Adventurous souls only! I've been out Kingoonya, Googs etc. A lot of public access along the rail line service road has been stopped if not all these days. The shortest wasy is to come up from Yalata, but I'm most certainly not up to date if any permits are required or if access is even allowed at the moment.
It does not show up on Google Maps, but it is visible on Microsoft Maps which has more recent aerial photos.

There is a turn-off onto tarred road ( Iluka Rd ) off the Eyre Hwy, approx 27 km to the East of the Yalta Roadhouse. Iluka Rd runs up to the Jacith-Ambrosia mine and is tarred all the way ( approx 80 km ).

There is a turn off Iluka Rd onto Ooldea Rd approx 10 km before the mine gates. Ooldea Rd is dirt road up to the bonus location (approx 65 km).

Iluka Rd & Ooldea Rd do not run beside the railway track but do run across the Yellabinna Regional Reserve which may / may not require a permit.

Last edited:

Murphyau

The US based Glacial Lakes Motorcycle Club have been running a Grand Tour since 2009, and have published details of their 2022 event.

The theme for this year is "Planes, Trains & Automobiles", and this event is very, very "doable" from here in Oz.

The Grand Tour runs from 1-March to 30-September, 2022.
Ptreliminary results have been published, but the Final results will not be announced until 16-Oct so as to allow for any "postal vote" hard copy photos to be received and scored. At this stage we have 3 Aussies who have acheived "Finisher" status. Once the Final Scores are announced, I will provide an update.

tj189

Premier Member

Murphyau

The Final Results for the 2022 Glacial Lakes MC Grand Tour have just been published.

In 1st place, from Massachusetts was Bill Collins with a stellar score. In 2nd place, from the ACT, our Simon Bell, while there was a tie for 3rd place, with John Frick (Ohio) and yours truly (NSW), with our Harry Chahal (VIC) achieving a creditable mid-field result.

A big "thank you" to the Glacial Lakes MC for allowing "internationals" to participate. Roll on 2023 . . .