2nd best riding gear?

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The paramedics in Wisconsin cut my Darian jacket and pants off me in September, 2013. It was a two-piece suit, but I was still in one-piece after totalling a bike and a car. So I promptly replaced the gear with identical stuff. For my next gear purchase I might go with a one piece Roadcrafter, because I like the way they look more than the Darian's long jacket. For touring and just riding around I like the two-piece versatility.

And as said above, Aerostitch customer service is great.

KEN PHENIX

Premier Member
IBA Member
+1 on bona fide Gore Tex. My experience with gear makers' proprietary "waterproof" liner materials has been less than stellar. I really like Revit's "drop liner" configuration. I can remove the stand alone Gore Tex liner on hot days and even wear it under another jacket. It must be more expensive to produce than bonding the GoreTex to the outer layer. As far as I know the ReV'it Defender (pro) is the only one still on the market.

I bought a new Aerostich Darien jacket and AD-1 pants last month; and I am still trying to relax some of the stiffness. I was prepared for some stiffness before ordering after research and reading reviews; however, I was not prepared for the gear practically standing up on its own. I have put about 500 miles on it to date; gone camping; rolled around the dirt; and washed following instructions (even through a couple pairs of tennis shoes in the wash as well to beat it up) with little to no affect. I respect how well the gear is made; but I have to say - I do not think I would want to go through this again. Had I tried the gear on prior to ordering and waiting 6 weeks for delivery - I don't think I would have purchased. However, once it arrived - I was so excited - I cut the tags off; put the gear on - and took off on a ride. I do not give up easily; so I'm committed to breaking it in. In fact, I now see it as a challenge; I just wish it were a little easier so I could enjoy the riding more rather focusing on the gear.

Scott

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Scott,
Find a large clothes dryer, side loading preferably, like you'd dry a comforter or sleeping bag in. Throw the gear in it with some old sneakers, and run it without heat.

Scott,
Find a large clothes dryer, side loading preferably, like you'd dry a comforter or sleeping bag in. Throw the gear in it with some old sneakers, and run it without heat.
I will definitely give it a try. Certainly can't hurt. We have an extra large capacity dryer at home and I let in run for an hour on medium heat (per washing instructions since it was wet) with tennis shoes. It might have felt a little better; but that was before I re-attached the pads. Initially, I was going to put the gear on after taking out of the washing machine - and while wet; put it on and go for a ride until dry; and then re-wash and dry normally; but was too exhausted and a little frustrated some much effort seemed necessary. It doesn't help that my wife bought new gear at the same time; but she opted for Spidi instead of Aerostich; and her gear was comfortable out-of-the-box - while I'm contorting myself while riding in an effort to relax the gear a little. The sizing is spot-on; it is just the cardboard nature of the materials I am fighting. Appreciate the feedback. :)

Scott,
I've done the same thing, but took all the armor out first.
Don't know if that's necessary, but with my luck, I didn't chance it...

The sizing is spot-on; it is just the cardboard nature of the materials I am fighting.
I'm surprised you are finding it quite so stiff. The Darien is made from a 2-ply material, where the RoadCrafter is 3-ply.

The Klim gear is made from the same 3-ply fabric as the RoadCrafter, yet while it was a little stiff when new, it was not even close to being uncomfortable.

Good luck with it.